DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

16 SATs and then boom! ATTI Mode and almost a fly-a-way!

Peterf55

Reactions
Fly my MAvic Pro on Wednesday and all was good. Calibrated Compass, checked all areas for issues, send up and hovered a bit, got 16 sats and then put it up to about 350 ft for a shoot I needed. All of a sudden I hear the faint voice of my controller "ATTI" mode and noticed on my screen ATTI mode. At this point the Mavic was drifting away at a pretty good speed ( not super fast) but enough to be very concerned. I hit he return to home button ASAP. No response. Did this several times also while trying to fly it back with little success. I raised the Mavic up from about 250 to 300 feet, turned it around a bit in ATTI mode and I noticed it was able to lock back into Sats and so I hit the return to home again and lucky me it returned to home without any further issues. How can I lose 16 SATS in a split second and have it go into ATTI mode and have it drift so quickly??

smallDJI_0081.jpg Flying in my neighborhood with houses. No desert, mountains, sea, forest or city. In the USA.

Last edited:
At the start how many bars did you have on the 16 Sats?

I seem to loose control when ATTI is switched to mid flight. I also noticed though that when obstacle avoidance is activated and there is an obstacle to the right of the drone and you try to roll into it, it will temporarily lock you out of rolling left, away from it too. You have to rudder then forward. So my hypothesis is that the obstacle avoidance system may be to blame and am turning it off to see if freak outs aren't so bad now when they happen. Maybe others can try too. I know obstacle avoidance limits the drone's forward movement to 10km/h. Maybe if wind is pushing it this counts as movement in atti and the drone refuses to "go faster"

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Interesting.....not sure if I think this is the reason, but very interesting thought, thanks!

Fly my MAvic Pro on Wednesday and all was good. Calibrated Compass, checked all areas for issues, send up and hovered a bit, got 16 sats and then put it up to about 350 ft for a shoot I needed. All of a sudden I hear the faint voice of my controller "ATTI" mode and noticed on my screen ATTI mode. At this point the Mavic was drifting away at a pretty good speed ( not super fast) but enough to be very concerned. I hit he return to home button ASAP. No response. Did this several times also while trying to fly it back with little success. I raised the Mavic up from about 250 to 300 feet, turned it around a bit in ATTI mode and I noticed it was able to lock back into Sats and so I hit the return to home again and lucky me it returned to home without any further issues. How can I lose 16 SATS in a split second and have it go into ATTI mode and have it drift so quickly??
Would you mind uploading your .dat file? I think I had a similar issue with my drone! :eek:

Reactions: Peterf55
Would love to if I could find it. I have tried and tried to figure out how to do that including watching a youtube "how to" video several times and just can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts on how best to find and then download. I have the latest Assistant 2.0 software. All my other software is up to date. Just doesn't work like it does in the 7.5 minute video.

Reactions: Tomdog
Paging @BudWalker. I'm sure he'll be very interested. His conversion program and analytic skills may help shed light on what the root cause was.

Reactions: BudWalker
Would love to if I could find it. I have tried and tried to figure out how to do that including watching a youtube "how to" video several times and just can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts on how best to find and then download. I have the latest Assistant 2.0 software. All my other software is up to date. Just doesn't work like it does in the 7.5 minute video.
How to retrieve a .DAT

Yes this is the link I have been using for the past 48 hours. Does not work for me. I get to the point where flight data is requested, press the button and all the software does is show a spinning wheel waiting and waiting but nothing ever shows up!!
Have you tried updating DJI assistant? I think they changed some stuff lately

Try a different cable, usb port, or computer. I had troubles and intermittent success until I found the right combination. Shouldn't be so fickle, but it can be.

Reactions: jackgarner
Try a different cable, usb port, or computer. I had troubles and intermittent success until I found the right combination. Shouldn't be so fickle, but it can be.
Some progress I have the .dat files on my desktop from a disk icon called "DJI FLY LOG" I have lots so some must be from a phantom whose info was on the same card I used for the mvic and I didn't erase. So I see all these .dat files how do I view these to see the flight I am looking for ? Some are preety large 300-450 mb in some cases.

Reactions: casdoc
Some progress I have the .dat files on my desktop from a disk icon called "DJI FLY LOG" I have lots so some must be from a phantom whose info was on the same card I used for the mvic and I didn't erase. So I see all these .dat files how do I view these to see the flight I am looking for ? Some are preety large 300-450 mb in some cases.
If you just transferred the file onto the desktop you can 'view by date created' or something similar

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom