DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

-18°C/-4°F Winter footage, first time flight/edit/color. Feedback would be awesome!

Pillowmage

Reactions

Hey all, it's my first time flying my drone and first try at editing with Premiere Pro (trial version).

I shot in D-Log and colored for the very first time. I tinted the video a bit red for some warmth and added some blue to the sky as the original footage had white light, white snow and a lot of white clouds, which looked very boring.

There were a lot of lessons that I learned from this, and I would still love to get any feedback from the more experienced here. Shoot me some comments and even a like on my Youtube video. Thanks!!

Reactions: genesimmons
You did a lot for your first flight and first try at video editing. Bravo. You got a lot of good shots. You asked for some feedback so I'll give you some thoughts:

1) Adding the red. Color grading is a taste thing and no two people will share the same opinion and a color grade also has to do with the mood you are trying to create. To me, one of the beautiful things about snowscapes is the fact that things are blanketed in that pure white. I like to see winter scenes white. If you nail the color balance, you shouldn't have to change the color cast. If you go with pure white, then anything that does have color can really pop, especially if you increase the saturation in post (which I'm sure you did if you shot D-log). Bringing out the blue in the sky as you did is a perfect example of how this works. As a note, if you do have to adjust the color balance, using the scopes (especially the RGB Parade) can help you tremendously and is better than using the naked eye.

2) Your camera movements were generally quite smooth. You don't often see that from someone just starting out.

3) Your edits were smooth as well with one exception - when you cut to the staircase shot. It's always better to cut to a camera movement that has already started. I would've made the in-point to that clip about 2 seconds later after the shot had stabilized.

Hope these help. Great work. I would love to hear what some of the lessons you learned are from your perspective.

You did a lot for your first flight and first try at video editing. Bravo. You got a lot of good shots. You asked for some feedback so I'll give you some thoughts:

1) Adding the red. Color grading is a taste thing and no two people will share the same opinion and a color grade also has to do with the mood you are trying to create. To me, one of the beautiful things about snowscapes is the fact that things are blanketed in that pure white. I like to see winter scenes white. If you nail the color balance, you shouldn't have to change the color cast. If you go with pure white, then anything that does have color can really pop, especially if you increase the saturation in post (which I'm sure you did if you shot D-log). Bringing out the blue in the sky as you did is a perfect example of how this works. As a note, if you do have to adjust the color balance, using the scopes (especially the RGB Parade) can help you tremendously and is better than using the naked eye.

2) Your camera movements were generally quite smooth. You don't often see that from someone just starting out.

3) Your edits were smooth as well with one exception - when you cut to the staircase shot. It's always better to cut to a camera movement that has already started. I would've made the in-point to that clip about 2 seconds later after the shot had stabilized.

Hope these help. Great work. I would love to hear what some of the lessons you learned are from your perspective.

Thank you for the feedback!

1. After I edited the video, I realized that there is such a thing as a LUT that adds natural color to correct log footage without color grading. The LUTS felt too strong and I just found out about lowering opacity haha. I also struggled with getting the colors to pop out from log, most of the colors were honestly from vibrance and some from saturation.

I struggled with white balance as some of my shots were pretty bright and the others were during a cloudy day but I didn't change my Mavic WB settings. I always ended up with a few clips tinted bluer. I also started using a slow song and having the blue tints on snow and clouds got me drowsy. You're right though, pure white snow and a cool blue sky would've been pretty cool. Some of my whites felt grainy or dirty when I white balanced without the red tint, I don't know how else to describe it. My other white snow shots seemed glary when I keep staring at it haha. I need to keep practicing coloring.

2. I did a few takes for each clip except the one with the wooden steps. I might have moved it too slowly because I was afraid of jittery motion. I found out, especially with a faster song, that I end up speeding up all my clips to get the content in time. I tried Tripod mode but I don't know how to make it move a bit faster than I'd like.

3. I've moved around the staircase shot so many times haha. I wanted a clip that felt like I was just walking with the drone and then it lifts off, but when I lifted it off automatically, it went sideways while I was pushing it forward. I think it was one of the collision avoidance things, which I should've turned off. It also got blurry and did not focus shortly after it lifted off so I ended up starting earlier.

I learned that my shots from really up high weren't as good as I hoped, especially those with a lot of houses and shapes. Maybe it's the camera or the sensor's limitation at capturing all the details. The Mavic also struggles with low light, and it's battery would last me around 3 locations under the cold weather.

I learned that log footage isn't necessary to white balance and color correct. I learned to organize adjustment layers a bit more and not make color changes on the fly on different layers.

I need a lot of practice in coloring. I find that my eyes get used to looking at the same scene and it feels flat after staring for a bit, so I end up increasing contrast and exposure lots of times.

I need to plan my shots a bit more and figure out my order of scenes before I shoot. I was more concerned of how my drone would fly at specific locations more than having continuity in scenes.

I played around with the RGB curve and three way color corrector after I exported this video. I need to get out of the usual Lumetri color that I've seen people on Youtube give tutorials on.

There's a lot more but I'm at work haha. Sorry for the wall of text and thanks again for the feedback!

I only have one question, and that is are there any concerns with flying in that low, freezin *** cold weather. I’m in Wisconsin, -15C and want to fly my new Mavic, but temp seems way below spec of drone at 32F

Reactions: Pillowmage
wow! Impressed at the shots. I just got my drone too, but want to wait for warmer weather. What area of the country are you in?

I only have one question, and that is are there any concerns with flying in that low, freezin *** cold weather. I’m in Wisconsin, -15C and want to fly my new Mavic, but temp seems way below spec of drone at 32F

Hey, a lot of people do fly their drones during the winter time. Drone Valley just posted some tips on flying out in the cold - it's very informative.

He talks about using warm batteries and other important things that'll help you consider if you should fly out or not. Hope that helps!

Just flew in -15C and no issues aside from cold fingers (haven't found a pair of gloves that I'm comfortable flying with - any reccos?).

wow! Impressed at the shots. I just got my drone too, but want to wait for warmer weather. What area of the country are you in?

Hey, this was shot in Edmonton, Alberta! I couldn't fly the past few days because it was -28 to -30C here! It's warmed up back to decent temps now though so I might take it out haha

Just flew in -15C and no issues aside from cold fingers (haven't found a pair of gloves that I'm comfortable flying with - any reccos?).

Some people also talk of their tablets/ipads dying before their drones due to the cold. Others fly while sitting inside their car to keep themselves and their RC/phone/tablet warm. Cheers!

Reactions: treygeiger

Hey all, it's my first time flying my drone and first try at editing with Premiere Pro (trial version).

I shot in D-Log and colored for the very first time. I tinted the video a bit red for some warmth and added some blue to the sky as the original footage had white light, white snow and a lot of white clouds, which looked very boring.

There were a lot of lessons that I learned from this, and I would still love to get any feedback from the more experienced here. Shoot me some comments and even a like on my Youtube video. Thanks!!

Fantastic shots, and just shows us that you don’t need a bright sunny day and warm sun drenched sandy beaches to make truly awesome video. I’m not a fan of the colour grading you have used, it’s a bit purple to my liking, but we all have different tastes. Thanks for sharing this.

Hey, this was shot in Edmonton, Alberta! I couldn't fly the past few days because it was -28 to -30C here! It's warmed up back to decent temps now though so I might take it out haha

Nice. Whats Decent temps?? ;-) I'm in Ontario. Hoping it gets closer to 0c soon :) Usually we have a Post Christmas Warm up , except this winter!

really liked your footage!

If you don’t mind me asking, what were your gimbal settings? I’m a newbie too. I’ve flown about 20 hours or so but never edited footage cause it looked like crap on playback. My footage is too jerky. I need to slow something down but I can’t seem to find the right combination. Thanks

Fantastic shots, and just shows us that you don’t need a bright sunny day and warm sun drenched sandy beaches to make truly awesome video. I’m not a fan of the colour grading you have used, it’s a bit purple to my liking, but we all have different tastes. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks! This was my very first video and edit with Premiere Pro. I tend to use LUTS now and I think my fall and wedding video both have better colors than this. I honestly don't know how this thread got Necroe'd as this post is 9 months old haha

Nice. Whats Decent temps?? ;-) I'm in Ontario. Hoping it gets closer to 0c soon :) Usually we have a Post Christmas Warm up , except this winter!

really liked your footage!

I lived in Toronto for 6 years and the cold was pretty mild when I was there. I think -10 is pretty doable, although I think the drone's manual would say otherwise.

It was -31C here last December 29 and -2C right now. Cheers!

Reactions: kiwi flyer
If you don’t mind me asking, what were your gimbal settings? I’m a newbie too. I’ve flown about 20 hours or so but never edited footage cause it looked like crap on playback. My footage is too jerky. I need to slow something down but I can’t seem to find the right combination. Thanks

Hey, I have been using these settings more or less, but I didn't do the transmission stick thing he/she did ---> Get Smoother Drone Shots, Adjusting The Gimbal

The above settings should lessen the sensitivity of your sticks, but your yaw/rotation left and right can still be pretty sensitive. Some people use the Tripod mode and Cinematic mode on the Mavic. I haven't used them yet but I do know they decrease your sensitivity even more so that you can get rid of some jerky motions.

At the end of the day, it's more about moving slow while capturing video. It's tricky and I do a lot of retakes sometimes before I'm satisfied. If you're interested, I do have some basic cinematic drone movement tutorials for capturing video. I find that planning what specific movement you'd like to make helps to avoid unnecessary moving around your sticks. Here's part 1 of my 71 moves tutorial:

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
I lived in Toronto for 6 years and the cold was pretty mild when I was there. I think -10 is pretty doable, although I think the drone's manual would say otherwise.

It was -31C here last December 29 and -2C right now. Cheers!

Yeah, its been -20c and colder with wind chill all week here :) back to the "traditional winters" I am told by people who grew up here.

Yeah, its been -20c and colder with wind chill all week here :) back to the "traditional winters" I am told by people who grew up here.

There were lots of talks about global warming years past. Warming Canada a bit wouldn't be so bad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke