DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st test raw footage by night

bucefalo

Reactions
hello.. i made this short test using dlog 2.7k 30fps, by night.. windy night ;)
I don't know how much it can be improved by premier pro editing :
do you think that's the best achievable by night with low light?

I have not flown at night yet so I am no expert but I have been putting some thought to it. Looking at your video I see a of lot grain that makes me think your ISO is very high. I think if you film at 24 frames per second and slow your shutter speed down to 1/50 you will be able to lower your ISO and eliminate some of that grain. I have read that you may need to also use manual focus at night time. I have not yet tried these settings but plan to as soon as I get my Mavic back from repair. Let me know how it works out if you try the settings.

Last edited:
This is as good as it gets. You'll need something like "Neat Video" to clean up some of the noise. I flew some sunrise stuff that looks about the same. You have to remember you're shooting with a camera and lens that can fit in your cell phone.

I have not flown at night yet so I am no expert but I have been putting some thought to it. Looking at your video I see a of lot grain that makes me think your ISO is very high. I think if you film at 24 frames per second and slow your shutter speed down to 1/50 you will be able to lower your ISO and eliminate some of that grain. I have read that you may need to also use manual focus at night time. I have not yet tried these settings but plan to as soon as I get my Mavic back from repair. Let me know how it works out if you try the settings.
perfect i'll try that tonight :) let's see how better it is ;)

This is as good as it gets. You'll need something like "Neat Video" to clean up some of the noise. I flew some sunrise stuff that looks about the same. You have to remember you're shooting with a camera and lens that can fit in your cell phone.
ok.. i'll keep it in mind "neat video" thanks

perfect i'll try that tonight :) let's see how better it is ;)

After you get the settings programed prop up your Mavic so that it can get an overview of the area and lighting that you will be flying. Set the ISO as low as you can while still getting a bright enough picture. Don't even fly the Mavic at first just play with the settings until you are happy, then fly.

Turning on the histogram might be helpful. If you have not used a histogram check out the attached video.

After you get the settings programed prop up your Mavic so that it can get an overview of the area and lighting that you will be flying. Set the ISO as low as you can while still getting a bright enough picture. Don't even fly the Mavic at first just play with the settings until you are happy, then fly.

Turning on the histogram might be helpful. If you have not used a histogram check out the attached video.

This is photography 101. If you truly want something that will perform flawlessly in low light, the Mavic isn't the flying camera for you. In low light situations your histogram will be as flat a pancake except in the shadow (dark),(left side), areas. The histogram will not help reduce noise, noise is a byproduct of the small sensor. A lot of consumer cameras with small sensors incorporate some type of noise reduction software in-camera that helps with "removing" the noise.

Excellent ..... I appreciate the explanation.

The expression on your face when the mavic takes off says it all, your having fun! I'm glad you posted this, inspired me to get out and do some night shots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka