DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Autopilots + Airspace + Follow Mode = Awesome

darana

Reactions
Just had to share this coolness! Finally had a chance to test out an airspace with a buddy flying another drone with autopilot. If you haven't tried this, when you connect via another Autopilot instance you get TWO autopilot objects showing up in your airspace, the other autopilot device AND the other drone! So of course we had to try Follow mode. It worked fantiastically well. My buddy flew his Phantom 3 in black box mode (i.e. free fly) and my Phantom 4 Pro tracked him incredibly well. We eventually found the edges of where he could lose me off camera momentarily, but it took a concerted effort of sharp turns and flying under the chase drone, which I was also running with a 30' or so horizontal offset (cuz there's nothing worse than centered footage!).

Anyways, thought others might enjoy. We flew an entire battery set this way, just because it was so utterly fascinating and impressive!

Very cool! I purchased AP but I’m still going through the flight school.

Cool!!!! By the way... your buddy is flying very well manually :)

Why is your video to laggy/choppy ?

Hah, I'll let him known :)

Hmm I think the laggy/choppy is just an artifact from the screen recording. The raw video isn't like that. First time I ever did a screen recording.

Cool demonstration. I created a similar video using the same technique. It's a powerful tool. My MavicPro is following my Phantom 3 via airspace

Reactions: Ridermarra
Just had to share this coolness! Finally had a chance to test out an airspace with a buddy flying another drone with autopilot. If you haven't tried this, when you connect via another Autopilot instance you get TWO autopilot objects showing up in your airspace, the other autopilot device AND the other drone! So of course we had to try Follow mode. It worked fantiastically well. My buddy flew his Phantom 3 in black box mode (i.e. free fly) and my Phantom 4 Pro tracked him incredibly well. We eventually found the edges of where he could lose me off camera momentarily, but it took a concerted effort of sharp turns and flying under the chase drone, which I was also running with a 30' or so horizontal offset (cuz there's nothing worse than centered footage!).

Anyways, thought others might enjoy. We flew an entire battery set this way, just because it was so utterly fascinating and impressive!

Have you tried lowering the responsiveness setting to a lower value, it will help you keep on target in sharp turns or accelerations so you won't loose your target.

Great test. I am using iPhone 6 together with a iPhone 7. Both phones see eachother (namens and blue icons) but they do not share the gps positions. Same with iPad 4 mini and another iPhone 7. Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?
I tried peer to peer as well as Network. Same story I am able to enter the airspace, see the phones names but not gps locations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada