DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2014 macbook pro

dugs31

Reactions
Not Mavic related but...

I need a new laptop for editing videos since my 2010 macbook pro can't handle 4k videos.

I was looking at a used 2014 Macbook Pro, 13 inch retina, Intel core i7, 3.0 gHz, 16gb of ram, 512gb HD, Intel Iris 1536 mb.

Is it worth it for $900?? Or just buy the new touch bar macbook??

Will this specs handle 4k videos easily? Planning to install Final cut pro

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I had the 2014 15" and it ran perfectly well for that, but don't know about the 13". Quite a bit lower spec-wise.

The touch bar MacBook is not getting the greatest reviews.

It's glitchy, gimmicky, and has almost no inputs other than a power USB.

Iphonedo, on YouTube has a great review

I have had every Macbook they've made and this will be the first time I go look at the new Surface book. Apples new slide bar does nothing for me and like lightspeed said I find it very glitchy and slow. For how expensive they are I find my self buying a new one every 2 years!

I have a 2014 13" MBPro, but mine is only 8GB RAM/256HD, same Video card though. Im hoping it will be enough for video editing, but haven't tried it out yet. Wow, only $900, that's a great price! I paid around $1400 for mine I think. This is my first Mac and it has been the best laptop that I've ever purchased, love it!

I can't believe they got rid of the MagSafe adapter, what a retarded move

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro I got on trade for a MacBook Air 2009. Mines old and slow by most standards but is still kicking *** for its age!

I love it. I was going to pop for this new MacBook, but I love the MagSafe concept, and I have to have USB inputs or SD card inputs or... any inputs.

Steve Jobs would have NEVER done a touch bar! He would have been the first to market with a full blown touch screen! They're holding on to the Retina display, and putting the touchscreen aside.

For $3k they could easily afforded a touch screen, and the touch bar without sacrificing quality.

I read somewhere that estimates are that 45% of users buying the new MacBook are returning them within two weeks of buying. It has to be cool enough to get you over the buyers remorse!

I doubt it's 45% but I would def believe it's higher than previous new Macbooks. Even a lot of the vloggers on youtube and the like are posting bad stuff about them which I was surprised to see. I don't know if they actually pay retail or get them for free/discount for showing them in their videos or not, but I was really surprised at the amount of negative feedback, especially for the whole dongle situation.

You're right, Steve would have never allowed this. Not sure he'd have went to a full blown touch screen, but I have a really hard time believing he would have gotten rid of magsafe

I can't believe they got rid of the MagSafe adapter, what a retarded move
theres a lot of money to be made in repairs from people kicking/pulling the power cord and pulling down the machine with it.. :)
But what gets me is how much they give kudos to a technology or function in the keynotes... then they take it away..

I Have a mid 210 Macbook pro 17" and use Final cut pro x for 4k Videos. Just use the proxy function to edit your videos and export them back as 4k.
Regards

Urs

Make the jump. There are many alternatives

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I replaced my Late 2011 MBP 17" (purchased new with all additional upgrades possible, $3600) this past spring after the fans stopped working. I looked at the new MBP's (only 15" now) and with all additional upgrades, I was looking at $3200. I ended up starting to look at Windows PC's, including the Surface models. For less than $2100 I got the following:
17.3 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) + 256GB PCIe SSD (Programs, addon after the fact, $160)
Intel 8260 2x2 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth4.1

The biggest upgrade of all is the video card. Apple just refuses to use better cards, and I loved my MBP and Apple was the first place I looked. But once you have a 17" screen it is hard to go back.

I have since fixed the fans in my MBP and installed a new 1TB drive (not SSD, sorry). But it cannot even come close to the new one in terms of render speed. The same 5 minute 1080p HD movie took 4.5 minutes to render on the Windows machine, 47 minutes on the MBP.

I still wouldn't buy anything besides Apple. This one model is a flop.

I am brand loyal to absolutely no company. I have preferences but if the other company offers a better product at less cost I consider it. My new company issued MBP will be here next week.

I looked at the new MBP's (only 15" now) and with all additional upgrades, I was looking at $3200.
My purchasing agent told me ours, with a discount, were just north of $3600. They are going to be nice I'm sure. They are used exclusively for editing/rendering video and other CPU intensive tastings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143