DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2nd day out, and loads of issues

CrowsFeet

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Took my week old MP out for it's 2nd flight today, and was going to fly two batteries.

Started off OK, but ... after landing (20 minutes flight), I switched battery.

Powered up, and got an error. I can't recall the words, but something about the downwards sensor needed calibration. I had placed it on slightly wet grass.

Rebooted the quad, and all OK. 'Ready to Fly'.

So, flew.

But after about 15 minutes, I went low and maybe... 100 meters away, with trees around, but I could see the quad, and then got a red bar at the top, 'Aircraft Disconnected'. However, I had full control. Flew back to myself, landed and that was my day.

That must be a bug. I had control, but 'Aircraft Disconnected' was displayed for a long time. I was scared, but it was 100% responsive. Maybe it had a quick dropout, due to trees, but at 100m?

I did notice a flashing remote control signal icon, top right of the screen at one point. Sure sure what that meant.

Any advise for a nOOb would be helpful.

The first issue, you handled just fine.

The second issue is communications. There are two radio transmitters and two radio receivers in the system. One pair forms the "downlink" which disconnected. You can't see what the drone is trying to tell you. One pair forms the "uplink" which lets your controller command the aircraft. This one stayed in good condition, so you still had full command. Since you still had good GPS lock and other issues didn't crop up, you had the good sense to bring it in and get past it.

The thing with radio communication is that it's basically black magic. There are so many variables that you don't even realize are in play, until something goes wrong. The digital world is a lot better at hiding the little drop-outs and re-establishing communication in most cases. Sometimes it just can't quite work out the handshaking and the link is down until the system can be restarted. This can happen at any distance. Maybe someone had a strong wifi transmitter nearby to you (even your own phone or tablet), drowning out your own downlink signal.

Even an incoming call on your phone or a txt message can upset the apple cart but in most casses wont. It all depends on phone, firmware and what other apps are running at same time. But anything in the loop can break the downlink to the phone or tablet as Hally has put it. It can be a one off. But if it continues, finding the source is a matter of deduction and trial and era.

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks guys! My wife was watching the Mavic at the time, and has told me that she felt I was behind a tree... Would a tree cause loss of signal, within 100m?

My wife was watching the Mavic at the time, and has told me that she felt I was behind a tree... Would a tree cause loss of signal, within 100m?
Flying behind any solid obstacles usually causes the video/RC signal to drop immediately. However, it usually reconnects once the obstruction has been cleared.

My newbie story. After my first "beginner mode" flight, I realized I never put the antenna in a vertical, slightly angled position. I didn't get disconnected, but then again I didn't fly more than 30ft away. I'm only mentioning this because it's an easy step to miss when you're just really excited to get your new Mavic in the air. Happy flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54