DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Questions

JakeO

Reactions
First I just registered and am new, so go easy. I read lots of posts and didn't see my answer anywhere.

1) any recommendations of best but cheaper large screen android phone for use with remote? Looking to get used but cheaper phone. Used iphone 6 plus phones online are ~400 bucks, so looking for cheaper alternatives.

2) Line of sight: Help me understand the distance I can fly without line of site. Meaning, using my Mavic and travelling over trees and outside of my vision because i'm low to the ground and surrounded by trees. What kind of distance can one expect when my line of site is block by some objects like trees? I realize people may argue you should never fly the device if you cant physically see it, I get the merits of that debate and not trying to invoke that response.

3)While I wait for my Mavic, is there a link to the manual online that someone can share with me? Want to read it and learn it now.

1) any recommendations of best but cheaper large screen android phone for use with remote?
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used phones here.

2) Line of sight: Help me understand the distance I can fly without line of site. Meaning, using my Mavic and travelling over trees and outside of my vision because i'm low to the ground and surrounded by trees. What kind of distance can one expect when my line of site is block by some objects like trees?
Objects between the remote controller and Mavic will degrade the RC/video signals. Solid objects will completely disconnect those signals. It would be best to always fly line of sight (with no obstructions).

3)While I wait for my Mavic, is there a link to the manual online that someone can share with me?
You can download the Mavic manual from the Mavic downloads page.

Reactions: ATXdrone
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used phones here.

Thanks for the link. I'm an Apple user but I have an unused Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10") that may work. It's old, not sure how WELL it will work, but that may be a good one to use if I go to a non-phone platform.

Thanks again!

1) any recommendations of best but cheaper large screen android phone for use with remote? Looking to get used but cheaper phone. Used iphone 6 plus phones online are ~400 bucks, so looking for cheaper alternatives.

There are a number of devices that will work. My advice would be to go back one generation on the phone of your choice and by it used from EBAY. That will probably be the best result at the least expense.

That won't be my solution. I have a Nvidia Shield that will be the perfect size with a third party holder solution.

2) Line of sight: Help me understand the distance I can fly without line of site. Meaning, using my Mavic and travelling over trees and outside of my vision because i'm low to the ground and surrounded by trees. What kind of distance can one expect when my line of site is block by some objects like trees? I realize people may argue you should never fly the device if you cant physically see it, I get the merits of that debate and not trying to invoke that response.

Fly higher.. so you can maintain line of sight between the transmitter and the aircraft.

3)While I wait for my Mavic, is there a link to the manual online that someone can share with me? Want to read it and learn it now.

Asked and answered.

Reactions: ATXdrone
I have an unused Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10") that may work
People use that tablet when flying Phantoms with DJI GO, so it'll work with the Mavic too. You'll need to get some type of mount to hold it since it will not fit in the Mavic remote controller.

Thanks. I'm also going to have to upgrade it to a newer version of Android! This means I get to go down the rabbit hole of rooting, hacked ROMs, etc. because this is a locked down AT&T model.

Joy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair