DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360 degree view camera put on a Mavic.

Nice views but it's kinda distracting to see the weird apparent motion of the propellers due to the aliasing effect of the rotational speeds of the propellers with the framing rate of the video. I personally think that ND filters tend to be a bit overhyped, but maybe this is one example of a video that would benefit from the motion-blurring effect of an ND filter.

Also, I think that the full-360 degree panoramic views are a bit difficult for the brain to all take in and process. It would be impressive if this 360-degree video information could be processed so that one could see it through VR goggles so that as you looked all around you it appeared that you were flying high in the sky on top of a Mavic with the clouds and scenery all around you.

I've often thought it would be the bee's knees if the video downlink had the bandwidth to support live >=HD 360 feeds allowing for what would amount to a solid-state gimbal, the footage of course being possible to review differently than when the actual flight took place. I'm not into nerding out about the finer points of AP or racing. To me, an immersive live flying experience, range, and footage that looks decent on a typical home television... I already have a career, don't care or have any desire to try to make money with drones, and don't have the time or inclination to want to get the twitchy muscle memory for racing.

Sit me in a comfortable chair with a high quality immersive set of goggles with head tracking and let me just explore from above. 360 could make that so nice if the bandwidth were there. I just can't imagine a codec capable of pushing that much info with low latency through the garden hose of RF spectrum that's available (at least in FCC land, not sure about the spectrum available elsewhere).

Nice views but it's kinda distracting to see the weird apparent motion of the propellers due to the aliasing effect of the rotational speeds of the propellers with the framing rate of the video. I personally think that ND filters tend to be a bit overhyped, but maybe this is one example of a video that would benefit from the motion-blurring effect of an ND filter.

Also, I think that the full-360 degree panoramic views are a bit difficult for the brain to all take in and process. It would be impressive if this 360-degree video information could be processed so that one could see it through VR goggles so that as you looked all around you it appeared that you were flying high in the sky on top of a Mavic with the clouds and scenery all around you.
If you view the OP's video on YouTube with your phone or VR goggles you can look around like you're there. The future is now.

Until the 360 footage can be stabilized and orientation made independent of the aircraft movements like the main gimbal (but still retaining a smoothed out "trajectory") to me it's pointless.
Also needs to be full 8K before it's any interesting quality-wise...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627