DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party Apps and Crystal Sky

I don't care about Litchi! Geez!
Why the fascination by everyone about this bug ridden app?
Who is fascinated by Litchi? It was just an example of a 3rd party app.

My question still remains, can you have both the tablet and Crystal Sky attached somehow and use the tablet to program the 3rd party app and take off, then switch to the Crystal Sky to see the mission in a bright screen?
To me, this would be the only way to use the Crystal Sky.
The next option might be the goggles, you know, those clumsy looking things that could attract unwanted attention.
I believe you could still use the tablet as normal on either platform, and program a mission with a 3rd party app, then view it on the goggles. I would also assume you would be able to adjust the flight as before manually during the flight, such as camera pitch, flight radius etc.
The goggles are also a lot more affordable too!
Hmmm, that sounds interesting. I think with 3rd party apps programming missions, the mission is uploaded to the drone prior to taking off, isn't it? (This to prevent mission interruption when loss of connection).

So I guess you could program the mission (in 3rd party app), connect device to RC, take off and run the mission. Disconnect device, connect crystalsky, launch DJI go4, monitor the execution of the mission... Maybe you could make a USB hub switch or so, so that you can connect both physically, and just switch from one to the other with the flick of a switch?

FPV Camera is better than Litchi? i really need to head over and read up on some third party apps.

Is anyone doing automated flights with Mavic, and if so what are you using?

So in theory could you use an inspire in coach mode with tandem controllers with Chrystal sky on one and iPad or tablet (for third party apps) on the other.

A long way from the exception I'd say.

It depends on what you do with the aircraft, I have little use for any of the 3rd party apps either.
Then neither of you is flying your drone to its full potential with respect to missions, waypoints etc as the dji app is god awful!

Then neither of you is flying your drone to its full potential with respect to missions, waypoints etc as the dji app is god awful!

You assume everyone needs 'missions, waypoints etc' :)

If you do, then of course you will want a 3rd party app, not everyone does though.

Reactions: Mavric

bold statement! :)

Is flying waypoints really piloting/flying?

I like flying and filming using my stick skills. It takes less time to setup and I can make combination of shots in one take without having to stop, remove fingers from sticks, turn on some software feature etc...

I have been flying for 5 years now.
Learned to fly multirotors before tablet-drone era, and preGPS era.

IMHO new pilots depend too much on software and possibilities of it.

Learn to really fly it. Using sticks.

Return to home on your own,using sticks and map if you are out of LOS.
It will add to your stick time, confidence, and skills.
It will help you in different situations you may encounter, reduce number of flyaways and other unfortunate events that happen due to overconfidence in software perks.

I like possibilities of 3rd party apps but 95% I can do without them.

bold statement! :)

Is flying waypoints really piloting/flying?

I like flying and filming using my stick skills. It takes less time to setup and I can make combination of shots in one take without having to stop, remove fingers from sticks, turn on some software feature etc...

I have been flying for 5 years now.
Learned to fly multirotors before tablet-drone era, and preGPS era.

IMHO new pilots depend too much on software and possibilities of it.

Learn to really fly it. Using sticks.

Return to home on your own,using sticks and map if you are out of LOS.
It will add to your stick time, confidence, and skills.
It will help you in different situations you may encounter, reduce number of flyaways and other unfortunate events that happen due to overconfidence in software perks.

I like possibilities of 3rd party apps but 95% I can do without them.
I've been flying for five years too and some shots clients want cannot be done manually. They can be very intricate manoeuvres that only a mission can do.
I never depend on Rth anyway, always flying back manually.
I have good control of the sticks when flying manually,

I use Pix4D capture app in IOS and android, which gives you mission planning to build large orthophotos. So a dual tablet and Crystal Sky might be the best (only) solution without 3rd party app support

I've been flying for five years too and some shots clients want cannot be done manually. They can be very intricate manoeuvres that only a mission can do.
I never depend on Rth anyway, always flying back manually.
I have good control of the sticks when flying manually,
Hi Grey wolf,

First, I have NOT been flying for 5 years. But I hope to be able to say that someday[emoji12]

With all due respect, you seem to be making your case by belligerent assertion...

You mentioned "shots clients want", and to me, that puts you in a different category than me and those I fly with. We don't have "clients" or "must have" shots... We fly for the fun and passion of the hobby and have little use for 3rd party apps.

Could it be that perhaps you're in the minority being one of the pilots that relies so heavily on these other apps?

I respect your opinion that Crystal Sky may not be for you, and it probably isn't...but for some of us (or maybe most), CS is a nice addition to our flight time.

Maybe we're not using our Mavics to your definition of full potential - I will decide what to do with my Mavic.

My Camaro can "potentially" hit speeds over 120mph, but I rarely go over 75...that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the ride...

My $0.02

Last edited:
I do mapping on a 150 acre site using Map Pilot or Drone deploy. I'd like to see someone pull that off with Go or Go 4. The Go apps are good apps but a lot of commercial mapping work would be impossible using them. Even if you could load 3rd party apps there's not many good Android apps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji