DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

-42F mavic pro flight

whareable

Reactions
Good ol alaska weather this week

• Shutter/Shake upon takeoff, extreme cold must impact Lift ratio
  • Battery started at 36C ended at 22C in 6 minutes of flight.
  • Small random delay in response at end of flight
  • be very cautious flying -0 or sub zero temps
  • no 'icing' discovered, low humidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotMyDrone
Must be the lowest yet, at those temperatures things could be getting awful brittle though - I notice you weren't going far - so just very brief flight then back in the warm?

Pretty much, upon take off she stuttered in the air, like a vibration, my guess is that the Cold air is changing the lift dynamics of the craft. Never had this at -10F

Considering that -40 is probably also well outside the specs of the electronics components, there might also be issues with parts like the gyros not functioning perfectly, leading to shake. When the fan starts pumping cold air through the body, there will also be extreme temperature differences between the part of the electronics generating heat and the rest of it.

Fan only runs if needed - pretty obvious it won't there :p

But yes you can be sure you're outside of the specs of every single component in it there, potentially even outside of safe storage range i.e. components may be damaged permanently even just sitting there unpowered (mechanical stresses due to differing thermal expansion characteristics physically cracking stuff).

Fan only runs if needed - pretty obvious it won't there

I'm not so sure. Local temperatures within the CPU or other chips can still get high enough for the fan to be engaged.

Give you credit for standing out there and flying it! About 6 minutes is all my hands would last.

I don't know how people can stand to live where it gets that cold! When it gets down to 40F at night here, I can barely stand to go outside long enough to take the trash out. I can't even imagine what -40 would feel like.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme