DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K Monitor?

daithi23

Reactions
Any recommendations on a 4K monitor for editing? I don't see myself using 4096×2160 24p very often, probably mostly 3840×2160 30p so would a 3840×2160 monitor be fine?

Wow, that's a serious monitor! I'm looking for something a bit more basic. As the price of 4k is already high, I will have to go for something a little smaller, sorry, should have specified that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Well yes and no - 4K TVs are ubiquitous, while 4K PC monitors are still pretty scarce and oriented to the pro and high end (expensive) gaming markets - so you might actually be able to get a 40" 4K TV for cheaper than a 27'' 4K computer monitor.

Obviously in both cases check well about the outputs/wiring and suitability of your graphics card.

I'd be cautious using a TV because an important part of setting up an editing monitor is proper calibration.
Not sure how you'd do that and apply the profile to a TV.
Not to say the TV can't do it but it will be hard to get a standardised baseline for white balance especially.
The way they play video is also different - usually smoother - and what looks good on the TV could be oversharp on other devices (for example).

Older PCs might struggle to output 4K video while rendering changes too, even if they more or less cope OK with 4K editing

Reactions: erikgraham
I calibrate my TV exactly the same way as another monitor with my Spyder4.

I would recommend sticking with Samsung TVs if going that way as I've used 5 of them so far for this purpose without issues, you can disable all of the "TV-style enhancements" in Game mode so that it really behaves no different to a simple monitor.

Reactions: Brubaker
Well yes and no - 4K TVs are ubiquitous, while 4K PC monitors are still pretty scarce and oriented to the pro and high end (expensive) gaming markets - so you might actually be able to get a 40" 4K TV for cheaper than a 27'' 4K computer monitor.

Obviously in both cases check well about the outputs/wiring and suitability of your graphics card.

That makes sense, I did not know that - I don't even have a TV! I have a GTX 750 Ti video card which has HDMI (not HDMI 2 AFAIK) and a DisplayPort so I should be good. I presume as the Mavic's maximum FPS for 4K is 30FPS then we need 30Hz and not 60Hz 4K TV's?

To be honest though I don't know if I need (or I could handle) a 40" screen a couple of feet from my face but 32" 4K TV's are even more affordable. I had a quick google before posting this reply and there's already a lot of debate online about using a TV for photo and video editing. Most things discussed were beyond my technical knowledge but the obvious point was some specialized photo & video editing monitors had truer colours (blacker blacks etc), just as gaming monitor had quicker response times.

Then again, if I don't know the difference wouldn't a decent brand, properly calibrated TV suit my needs?

You need a 60Hz setup, while video is 30Hz indeed all the rest of computer operation is unusable at 30Hz. Mouse would feel laggy, webpage scrolling look awful etc. So HDMI2 it is, or DP1.2 with a converter such as this.

Best to check the candidates in person in a store with regard to brightness, viewing angle without color shift etc but that's the same with monitors if you want a good result.

Reactions: daithi23
I use a Samsung 28" 4K Ultra HD Monitor on sale for limited time for $339.99. When I bought it back then I paid little over $400.
For family gathering all of my work is done in 4K and shown on a 4K TV. For youtube presentations I downsize to full HD, which in my opinion is still pretty good.

The way technology is evolving HD is being slow phased out and everything is moving in the 4K direction. I am already seeing 5K monitors at a hefty price.

Samsung 4K Monitor.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair