DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

72 hour review

john94si

Reactions
I got my mavic on Saturday and charged it up fully. Drove to a near by field to try my first flight.
I was a bit scared to try this $1k plus drone but it was so easy in beginner mode.
I have 32 flights down now. Top altitude of 394 ft and 2hr 18 min total flight time. This thing is fantastic. My only issue is you have to hit the focus on the screen often to get a clear picture. I also lowered resolution to 2.7k.
I have tried my iPhone 7plus and now I am using my Samsung S7 full time on it. Reason one is it's easy to record the DJIapp go 4 app to keep all flight details and inputs.

I am still weary of going over 400 ft or very far out. I have ordered a getterback as I fly over water a lot. (Yes I know 400 is max of FAA recommendations).

What is the real max height or distance you all fly at?

This is one photo I took today.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

What firmware version are you running on as they fixed the auto focus .... well sort of ...

Not sure. The latest I suppose as it updated when I first powered up. I have checked again and no update found.
e841f3ef09d29a534c021dedaa241e77.jpg

I got my mavic on Saturday and charged it up fully. Drove to a near by field to try my first flight.
I was a bit scared to try this $1k plus drone but it was so easy in beginner mode.
I have 32 flights down now. Top altitude of 394 ft and 2hr 18 min total flight time. This thing is fantastic. My only issue is you have to hit the focus on the screen often to get a clear picture. I also lowered resolution to 2.7k.
I have tried my iPhone 7plus and now I am using my Samsung S7 full time on it. Reason one is it's easy to record the DJIapp go 4 app to keep all flight details and inputs.

I am still weary of going over 400 ft or very far out. I have ordered a getterback as I fly over water a lot. (Yes I know 400 is max of FAA recommendations).

What is the real max height or distance you all fly at?

This is one photo I took today.

Lol. I have the getterback on all my birds!!!! Never had to use on a drone yet but works well on fishing rods!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Fantastic photo ...

The mavic auto focus when you take off and the re focuses during the flight but i suppose if you want a closeups you will have to refocus.

For me I always maintain VLOS, (Visual Line of Sight). That can be quite a ways out, although I will lose visual orientation in only a few hundred feet, After that, you will be depending on your OSD (On Screen Display) for orientation, or praying for a flawless RTH when things go south. As for altitude I rarely even get close to the 400 ft, FAA legal limit. It is simply not as interesting that far up, anyway.

Last edited:
Hobbyists have no 400 foot legal limit. It's only a guideline.
Yeah, but it's a guideline which, if ignored, could get you a visit from an FAA agent for "reckless and careless" operation, subject low flying aircraft to a dangerous collision and get your hobby blacklisted at best. Do you wanna be that guy on the news?
Not to mention, that "guideline" could become a regulation with the stroke of a politicians pen if an incident occurs.

I always think about how I'm going to recover aircraft over difficult terrain. That thought often limits my nerves to line of sight. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: halley

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54