DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

84 flights = overconfidence = first crash!

marc r

Reactions
As I was coming in for a manual landing as I usually do, I backed into the very top of a tree in my front yard. The sun was almost down and there she was snagged at the top about 60 feet up. By the time I acessed the best course of action the sun was down, the battery was almost dead and heavy rain in the forecast. I made a large hammock out of a construction tarp tied to the tree, the roof rack on my wife's minivan, a fence post and my wife holding the other corner. The flashing lights on the Mavic go dark. Up the 32' ladder I go with 2 sets of extension poles duct taped together with a flashlight also taped at the end. A few pokes with the stick and down she came. After hitting a few limbs on the way down it missed my giant hammock by about 6 inches:(
She's got a broken wing. Waiting for a repair estimate (no refresh or insurance).

782931e5c68be0804144bc9c196e7974.jpg

DJI will be expensive. Check google in your area to see if anyone near you repairs DJI drones. Or just order the parts online and DIY.

Reactions: ronzomass and JHYPE
Before you send it off, best to power it up if the battery wasnt damaged, gouged, or broken. See if it will connect to DJI Go, then wait for the error messages to start popping up. If you get video, it's a very good sign. If you get gimbal movement at all, also a good sign. We know it will need a new arm or arm joint, but thats a cheap fix. The gimbal is the most expensive part of most damaged Mavics, depending on what was broken.

Before you send it off, best to power it up if the battery wasnt damaged, gouged, or broken. See if it will connect to DJI Go, then wait for the error messages to start popping up. If you get video, it's a very good sign. If you get gimbal movement at all, also a good sign. We know it will need a new arm or arm joint, but thats a cheap fix. The gimbal is the most expensive part of most damaged Mavics, depending on what was broken.

After powering it up, all motors are working and video link works but I see one of the rubbers for the gimbal has popped out of its mooring. Are arm parts available?

Can you take some pictures of the gimbal? Yes the arm parts are available. Depends on what part you need. If the motors still work, you might just need the joint at the end of the arm.

Can you take some pictures of the gimbal? Yes the arm parts are available. Depends on what part you need. If the motors still work, you might just need the joint at the end of the arm.

e386ff5b40f5c5ad6d0bdb0700464770.jpg

Not sure if you can see but I think the rubber has pulled out of the mounting hole on the top plate.

You can spread the rubber piece with a tweezers and wrap it back around the gimbal plate.

Thanks, I'll try that. I found a thin black plastic sleeve in 2 pieces, looks like it was a bushing at the rotation point of the broken arm.

Thanks, I'll try that. I found a thin black plastic sleeve in 2 pieces, looks like it was a bushing at the rotation point of the broken arm.

You might need one of these depending on whether or not the motor is ok. Its the inside "saddle joint" of the rear arm.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Im thinking that your gimbal plate bracket is broken where the camera attaches to it. Does your gimbal just hang loose? It might be that your rubber dampers just popped out of the top plate, and are letting it hang lower than normal.

OEM gimbal plate with 2 holes circled.jpg

Reactions: Elliott
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll