DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A few questions in my first weeks of owning the Mavic

mavic14

Reactions
Couple questions for experienced users after my first 5 flights. I don't expect people to answer all of them, but if you can chime in on some of them that would be great help!

1. Earlier today I was attempting to fly to the top of a mountain near me, it's about 2000ft but when my drone hit 400 feet it wouldn't go any higher and just would go straight into the mountain rather than 400 feet above the ground of the incline. Is this a setting that I need to change? It didn't seem to be picking up the elevation from the ground, but rather the elevation from where I launched it.
  2. How important is it that the remote I'm using has a direct line of sight with the drone? Is it okay if there are buildings in the way? Will there be warnings if it's losing connection?
  3. When flying, it seems like the fastest I can get the drone to go is 20ish mph.. I've heard that in sport mode it'll go 35, but even when I flip the switch it still stays at 20mph?
  4. Is it okay to turn the drone on when all the legs aren't folded out and the camera 'plastic saftey' is still on to protect it from bouncing around when traveling? I've done this to offload footage and I just want to make sure it's not damaging anything.
  5. When you use "Tap fly", does it have any obstacle avoidance? Does it know if it's getting close to trees if they're beneath it rather than right in front of it?
  6. Are there any videos online that people would suggest for the best settings? Or any that you would recommend me doing?
Thanks in advance!

1. You have your elevation limit set to 400'.
2. Very important. Do not fly behind things, especially buildings.
3. Not sure.
4. You need to take off your gimbal clamp when turning on the Mavic. Other than that you can leave it folded.
5. Not sure.
6. There are plenty of videos on settings, one I just looked at on this forum, just do a search.
7. As HFMan above, read your manual.

Couple questions for experienced users after my first 5 flights. I don't expect people to answer all of them, but if you can chime in on some of them that would be great help!

1. Earlier today I was attempting to fly to the top of a mountain near me, it's about 2000ft but when my drone hit 400 feet it wouldn't go any higher and just would go straight into the mountain rather than 400 feet above the ground of the incline. Is this a setting that I need to change? It didn't seem to be picking up the elevation from the ground, but rather the elevation from where I launched it.
  2. How important is it that the remote I'm using has a direct line of sight with the drone? Is it okay if there are buildings in the way? Will there be warnings if it's losing connection?
  3. When flying, it seems like the fastest I can get the drone to go is 20ish mph.. I've heard that in sport mode it'll go 35, but even when I flip the switch it still stays at 20mph?
  4. Is it okay to turn the drone on when all the legs aren't folded out and the camera 'plastic saftey' is still on to protect it from bouncing around when traveling? I've done this to offload footage and I just want to make sure it's not damaging anything.
  5. When you use "Tap fly", does it have any obstacle avoidance? Does it know if it's getting close to trees if they're beneath it rather than right in front of it?
  6. Are there any videos online that people would suggest for the best settings? Or any that you would recommend me doing?
Thanks in advance!

Did you do your list of questions on April Fools Day?

Reactions: willhay555
May still be in "Beginner Mode", even with Sportmode on, you are still limited in speed until you turn off the Beginner Mode.

I would also go through the settings menu thoroughly. Click on everything and adjust as necessary.

When flying, it seems like the fastest I can get the drone to go is 20ish mph.. I've heard that in sport mode it'll go 35, but even when I flip the switch it still stays at 20mph?

By default the setting for "Multiple Flight Modes" is turned off. This needs to be switched on to enable Sports mode.

Reactions: mavic14
Losing LOS with the drone reduces range, sometimes drastically if you fly behind a building. If you disconnect, then the drone will raise to its return to home height and sometimes attempt to fly through the building if you are in sport mode or object avoidance is otherwise turned off. Do like I did. RTFM. Then RTFM again. Then read a bunch of threads on here about Mavic crashes and other RTH problems to get a handle in plain language on how the sensors and other failsafes work in the real world. Like if the drone goes to RTH into a low sun then if forward OA is turned on it tries to climb over the sun because it sees it as an obstacle. You can imagine how well that works.

Reactions: Flycaster
Sorry for all the sarcasm here...

#3. The drone (by default) has sport mode disabled. You really should enable it so if you are ever over water, and your sensors get confused, and (I know a lot of what if's...but it happens!) you pull you stick down....you can get your mavic into an auto land mode. The only way to get it out of "auto land mode" (on .500 firmware) is to toggle your "P/S" switch.

Not to mention, your drone will go upwards of 40 mph! (With the avoidance sensors now turned off..so be careful!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123