DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Lucky Escape ~ and a 'heads up'

ArranEye

Reactions
Yesterday I reversed my Mavic into a tree. Of course this was my fault. After footling about for some time shooting a POI, I flew forwards along a rocky stream, recording a video tracking shot, then simply reversed to bring the MP back for a second attempt. However the MP drifted slightly and instead of returning along the same trajectory, it ended up over the far bank, overgrown with young trees, and embedded itself in one of them (R). From my position (A), some distance back from the opposite bank, it was not easy to see this discrepancy while watching the MP and with hindsight I might have avoided the tree by watching the GPS track instead. I've checked the flight animation and at no time in either direction did I alter course. However, as you can see, the outbound trajectory appears to have "kinked", possibly due to magnetic influence of the large rocks. As you can see, this was not replicated on the return leg...
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 16.58.37.png
Flight path courtesy of Airdata.com

The point of my post is to highlight the danger of assuming that your MP will always return along exactly the same route! And if you're going to fly into a tree, try to pick a young one; luckily the tender branches simply clutched my Mavic and held it aloft until I climbed over the stream to rescue it. There was no damage whatsoever, confirmed with a further test flight!

Been there, done that. That's why I have a Mavic instead of my original P3P. My tree was a rugged veteran.

Reactions: ArranEye
It's easy to induce a stick movement for roll or yaw when moving the elevator or throttle stick and not be aware you are doing so . You can go into settings and add some expo to the sticks to help alleviate this .

It's easy to induce a stick movement for roll or yaw when moving the elevator or throttle stick and not be aware you are doing so . You can go into settings and add some expo to the sticks to help alleviate this .
Yes, I did wonder about that, but strangely, it was only on the return path (at the position of the "kink" on the outward leg) that I reduced altitude. What do you mean by 'add some expo to the sticks'?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronin
Yes, I did wonder about that, but strangely, it was only on the return path (at the position of the "kink" on the outward leg) that I reduced altitude. What do you mean by 'add some expo to the sticks'?

Adding Expo to the sticks makes the sticks less sensitive when near the centers where you do most of your flying while retaining full control as it nears the endpoints .

Go to General settings then Advanced settings in the Dji Go4 app and you will see the EXPO screen . You can set the separate stick movements if you want to .

Reactions: Bigfoot and Dronin
Adding Expo to the sticks makes the sticks less sensitive when near the centers where you do most of your flying while retaining full control as it nears the endpoints .

Go to General settings then Advanced settings in the Dji Go4 app and you will see the EXPO screen . You can set the separate stick movements if you want to .
Thanks for that Rydfree. Hidden depths of subtlety!

Yesterday I reversed my Mavic into a tree. Of course this was my fault. After footling about for some time shooting a POI, I flew forwards along a rocky stream, recording a video tracking shot, then simply reversed to bring the MP back for a second attempt. However the MP drifted slightly and instead of returning along the same trajectory, it ended up over the far bank, overgrown with young trees, and embedded itself in one of them (R). From my position (A), some distance back from the opposite bank, it was not easy to see this discrepancy while watching the MP and with hindsight I might have avoided the tree by watching the GPS track instead. I've checked the flight animation and at no time in either direction did I alter course. However, as you can see, the outbound trajectory appears to have "kinked", possibly due to magnetic influence of the large rocks. As you can see, this was not replicated on the return leg...
View attachment 13160
Flight path courtesy of Airdata.com

The point of my post is to highlight the danger of assuming that your MP will always return along exactly the same route! And if you're going to fly into a tree, try to pick a young one; luckily the tender branches simply clutched my Mavic and held it aloft until I climbed over the stream to rescue it. There was no damage whatsoever, confirmed with a further test flight!
I'm really happy you got your MP back unscathed. Gentle lessons are the best lessons... :)

Reactions: ArranEye
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag