DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A "Solar Mavic"?

Wombat55

Reactions
Was pondering the question of whether integrating solar panels on the upper part of a Mavic's body would make sense for some future version of the Mavic. Here's what I got with my quick "back-of-the-envelope" calculations:

Given the small area of the Mavic's upper surface and browsing the info on Amazon.com for small solar panels, it appears that the amount of solar power that could be generated by solar panels small enough to fit on the Mavic's upper surface would be less than 10 Watts. The Mavic uses a 44 Watt-hour battery, and has a flight time of about 20 minutes or 1/3 of an hour before the battery is mostly drained, so that means that the power drain of the Mavic when in flight is about 132 Watts (=44 Watt-hours / (1/3 of an hour)). Actually, the battery is not completely drained after a normal 20 minute flight since we always want to have a little battery reserve for emergencies, so the power drain is probably a bit less than 132 Watts. Let's call it around 100 Watts, which is a nice round number. So obviously a 10 Watt solar panel isn't going to be able to keep a Mavic in flight indefinitely. At best, a 10 Watt solar panel will generate about 3 Watt-hours of energy in a 20 minute long Mavic flight, which won't go far in recharging a rapidly draining 44 Watt-hour battery. A solar panel may give only an additional minute or two of flight time, so it doesn't seem that solar panels would be worthwhile for that given the trouble and expense of installing them into a Mavic.

However, solar panels could be useful for emergency landing situations and long round-trip flights. Suppose a Mavic has to make an emergency landing because of strong winds blowing it off-course and the battery dropping below 10%. As things stand now, if a Mavic has to land with that little battery power left, it's not going anywhere. You have to go out and retrieve it yourself, even if it made a landing in a difficult to reach location such as the middle of a muddy field. With a "Solar Mavic", however, the Mavic's battery would be fully recharged in about 4 hours of direct sunlight, or charged to about 35% capacity in just one hour (=10% + 25% recharge), which would be enough for it to take off for a short flight.

Another use for a "Solar Mavic" would be for a long flight such as, for example, to take pictures of an island located far at near the Mavic's maximum range. As things stand now, we have to plan our flights so that we have enough battery power for a full round-trip flight to the island and back. However, with a "Solar Mavic", one could fly out to the island with the battery almost fully drained, then land on the island and let the battery fully recharge in the sun, and then make the return trip flight with a fully charged battery.

Just some ideas. Of course, the best option of all would be for solar cell technology to advance to the level that one could fly a Mavic indefinitely in strong sunlight, but I think that we'll have to wait a long time for that.

Good idea. Did you factor the small LED drain during the recharging period?

Did you factor the additional weight from the solar panel and necessary electronics? Plus the air drag...?

Did you factor the additional weight from the solar panel and necessary electronics? Plus the air drag...?

Nope, I didn't figure in additional weight from the solar panel, air drag, or power for the LED lights. Just did what we physicists call a quick "back of the envelope calculation" to get a rough idea of the attractiveness of mounting solar panels onto the upper surface of a Mavic. A full engineering review of the problem that fully took into account all the details would obviously get more accurate numbers than the rough estimates I provided, but I don't think that the overall conclusion would be changed (i.e., that solar panels would offer just marginal benefits for extending the in-flight range of a Mavic but may be useful for emergency situations and long-range, round-trip flights.)

Right. Solar panels won't offer much and the effect could even turn out negative..

If you can find a 10 Watt solar panel that can fit onto the top of the Mavic you have solved the worlds energy problems :D

A 10 Watt panel is about 1sq/ft in area. A panel that could fit on the Mavic would probably be about 500 mw of power, so before considering weight etc. you can expect that during a flight it would gather enough power to flash the back lights for about 2 minutes and that is about it.

Still a cool concept to think about!! I've often thought what if there was a "reserve" capacity of 20% or so that a user could unlock that would permenantly damage the battery but would give you the option of 5 minutes or so additional flight time to get your sUAS back to a safe landing spot... Would that make sense as a "last ditch" option?

The thinking is right now the drone will fall out of the sky before it discharges enough to prevent recharge / damage the battery, however, if your 500ft from the shore I think most of us would agree they'd rather buy a new battery than lose a drone in the ocean. Of course for liability reasons it would have to come with a disclaimer to enable / something never to be relied on

Reactions: Bunny Too
If you can find a 10 Watt solar panel that can fit onto the top of the Mavic you have solved the worlds energy problems :D

A 10 Watt panel is about 1sq/ft in area. A panel that could fit on the Mavic would probably be about 500 mw of power, so before considering weight etc. you can expect that during a flight it would gather enough power to flash the back lights for about 2 minutes and that is about it.

Well, I just looked at small solar panels and saw a 10 Watt one that looked about the same size as a Mavic so that's where I got the 10 Watt figure from. But let's do a slightly more accurate estimate. I found that a folded up Mavic measures about 3.25 inches x 3.25 inches x 8 inches, so the top surface area of a Mavic is about 3.25 inches x 8 inches or about 0.2 square feet. Assuming your figure of a 10 Watt panel needing 1 square foot, that means a solar panel of about 2 Watts (=0.2 sq . ft. x 10 W/sq. ft.) could be installed on the upper surfaces of a Mavic. So, yeah, I was overestimating the amount of power by a about a factor of 5. But 2 Watts is not a completely insignificant amount and is more than enough power to power the back LED lights of a Mavic.

In the calculations above we are also considering current-day solar cell technology and not considering future improvements in the technology. An overhead sun at the middle of a clear day shines about 1000 Watts of radiant power on every square meter of the Earth's surface. That works out to about 100 Watts per square foot, which is considerably higher that the approximately 10 watts per square foot that you mentioned for a solar panel. That's also consistent with the roughly 15% efficiency of many current solar panels. In principle, it may someday be possible to generate up to about 20 Watts of power from solar panels covering the upper surfaces of a stock Mavic (having an upper surface area of approximately 0.2 sq. ft.) if solar panels approaching 100% efficiency are ever developed. That won't be enough power to keep a Mavic aloft indefinitely (the break-even required power is about 100 Watts for that), but it would be enough to slightly extend the range of a Mavic and may also be useful for special circumstances like the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
Better battery technology would be more practical . A 5000 mah lipo that fit in the same size case or stuck up only slightly more would be cool .

Still a cool concept to think about!! I've often thought what if there was a "reserve" capacity of 20% or so that a user could unlock that would permenantly damage the battery but would give you the option of 5 minutes or so additional flight time to get your sUAS back to a safe landing spot... Would that make sense as a "last ditch" option?

Not aware of any means of extracting a "self-destruct emergency reserve" of energy from a rechargeable Lithium battery. Would probably need to consider some completely different energy storage system to find something that has that feature.

The only thing that comes to my mind for such an idea is an old Star Trek: TNG episode of "Tin Man" in which a Romulan Warbird was able to out-race the Enterprise to an alien spaceship at the cost of destroying its own warp core.

Better battery technology would be more practical . A 5000 mah lipo that fit in the same size case or stuck up only slightly more would be cool .

For quadcopters such as the Mavic, I agree that improvements in battery technology will have more of an impact on future development than improvements in solar cell technology since the break-even energy point for unlimited, indefinite flying (about 100 Watts for the Mavic) is so high. However, it should be noted that rotary-wing aircraft such as helicopters and quadcopters are very energy inefficient flyers compared to fixed-wing aircraft. I think that the radio-controlled fixed-wing aircraft community is probably looking at advances in solar cell technology with a great deal of interest and enthusiasm because their break-even energy point for keeping an aircraft the size and weight of a Mavic aloft is probably a lot less than 100 Watts and probably very close to being reached with present-day solar cell technology. Plus, with their aircraft they have nice, large area wings to mount their solar cells onto.

Not aware of any means of extracting a "self-destruct emergency reserve" of energy from a rechargeable Lithium battery. Would probably need to consider some completely different energy storage system to find something that has that feature.

What I meant by this is currently once you reach a certain voltage on one cell under load the battery shuts off to protect itself from over discharge and the sUAS falls (usually to its death). Without looking it up let's pretend the voltage is 3.0V/cell - As you discharge the battery further and further, you run the risk of unbalancing the cells, and a battery that has been discharged much below 2.5V/cell resting voltage can usually never be safely charged again. I'm saying that though there isn't a lot of energy left from 3.0V down to 2.5V/cell, if you could tap into this energy (running the very real risk of ruining the battery) then the Mavic could fly for an extra few minutes (probably 2 minutes or so) which might be enough time to get it that last little bit home.

What I meant by this is currently once you reach a certain voltage on one cell under load the battery shuts off to protect itself from over discharge and the sUAS falls (usually to its death). Without looking it up let's pretend the voltage is 3.0V/cell - As you discharge the battery further and further, you run the risk of unbalancing the cells, and a battery that has been discharged much below 2.5V/cell resting voltage can usually never be safely charged again. I'm saying that though there isn't a lot of energy left from 3.0V down to 2.5V/cell, if you could tap into this energy (running the very real risk of ruining the battery) then the Mavic could fly for an extra few minutes (probably 2 minutes or so) which might be enough time to get it that last little bit home.

Sounds like you know more about rechargeable Li batteries than I do. Will have to educate myself about rechargeable Li batteries and look into that.

View media item 406This is a image from clarkflyers that illustrates what I mean (sorta)

The Mavic batteries are a slightly different type that supports charging safely to 4.30V/cell (instead of the 4.235V the chart indicates), however, what we care about is the discharge curve

Basically once the Mavic is flying (under load) the voltage quickly drops from 4.3 to 3.85 or so per cell. As you fly this slowly drops from 3.85 to 3.7 to 3.6 (where the battery display turns yellow) to 3.5 (where it turns red and you need to land). If you keep going the battery voltage starts to drop quicker and quicker. At a certain point (I think 3.0V) the battery shuts off, however, there is still a little more energy left to use (if you don't care about the future of the battery). Perhaps there are voltage limits on the components used (like the ESCs) and it wouldn't work as I envision anyways, however, I envision a system where you would get that last 60-120 seconds or so (at reduced power level) that could get you that last few hundred feet home, similar to how a Telsa electric vehicle has a low speed "limp home mode" that could get you that last couple of miles if you are almost to a charger. Of course if you are a mile from shore then nothing will help, however, those cases where you are almost home is where this would work (potentially)

Reactions: Wombat55
What about added small panels on the arms also. That must add some watts. Also the sides of the body?

Absolutely negligible.

A 5W panel covers the area the entire unfolded Mavic covers, i.e. the actual material surface will allow you to mount maybe 2-3W worth, maybe double if you managed to get super high performance panels (i.e industrial, costing several times the Mavic's price).
But the Mavic draws 100+ W in flight, and already 15W just sitting there powered on. That's not counting the "cost" of having the panels on (weight/aeroodynamics).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom