DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AA Gate Attendant forced me to Check Mavic.

Fplvert

Reactions
Well, it happened in Dalas Fort Worth,Texas. A Airline Attendant threatened to kick me and my wife off the plane if we didn't check our carry-ons.

We were flying to Punta Cana, DR. She had a soft bag that contained our IPads, headphones and snacks. It easily fit under the seat. I had my Mavic and it's gear in a small backpack which I stowed in a hard side, wheeled carry-on. It fit easily in the overhead.

The Gate woman said we would NOT be on the flight if we didn't comply with her orders. My wife took off and got on board. I waited at the gate and tried to explain that her bag fit easily under the seat. She wouldn't listen and threatened to remove her and me.

I didn't want to argue, and thought if I told her it's not legal to check lipos into baggage, that would certainly end with us kicked off. She put a claim sticker on my bag and kicks it down the baggage slide. It hit the ground hard. I dreaded what might have happened to my drone.

What really pisses me off, is American Airlines charges $25.00 for each checked bag, hence people pack way too much in carry-on. We each had one checked bag, and one carry-on. Her checked suitcase arrived missing its wheels. My forced check-on, my Mavic Pro, had damage to the gimbal, the clip and dome were both broken, and the gimbal was protruding out past the metal retaining clip.

Lesson here, at least in my case, I should have pulled the drone out of the hard case and checked the empty hard case. I would not fly on American Airlies again.

Last edited:
Wow....looks like I will be getting a hard 'Pelican' type case for my Mavic Pro - just in case this happens.......thanks for sharing.

Reactions: coastie_steve
Yeah sue them for damages. You're Mavic broke due to "them" not listening and handling your luggage incorrectly.

Reactions: RC5728
When and if that happens, get the flight attendant's name and employee number, then tell them you will be contacting American Airlines about her mis-conduct, lack of knowledge, airline rules, and rudeness. Tell her you're going to demand the extra baggage charges come out of her wages.

When and if that happens, get the flight attendant's name and employee number, then tell them you will be contacting American Airlines about her mis-conduct, lack of knowledge, airline rules, and rudeness. Tell her you're going to demand the extra baggage charges come out of her wages.

Easy said when you're sat at home in front of a PC but not so easy face to face when you're worried about getting kicked off a flight, it's a stressful time at the best of times..

Wait... first, her skin color is not important. So let's not do the "angry black thing". Secondly, if she stated that you had to check it, then check it and keep moving. It's insured, right? You said it was in a backpack which was also inside a hard case. Cool.. No need to debate back and forth with an employee who has to deal with hundreds of passengers all day. And then she kicked it, really???? lol.. Come on now... Who kicks a suitcase while wearing pumps or soft shoes??? lmao Show me the video... I'll wait.. everyone has video these days of everything. Thanks for the laugh though... Just remember, You approached. She asked you to check it. You resisted and I'm sure, held up the line. Second and final thought, why didn't you just take the backpack out of the bigger case and simply check the suitcase, while walking on the plane with your backpack???? lol

*ADMIN EDIT: Let's leave race out of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I plan on anything of value being transported via USPS,UPS,airline etc , I make sure it is secure enough to be thrown down a flight of stairs and remain undamaged . Pick your cases carefully to avoid disappointment .
You could have made them drag you off the plane and had money to buy several Mavic , maybe even Dji .

Last edited:
Easy said when you're sat at home in front of a PC but not so easy face to face when you're worried about getting kicked off a flight, it's a stressful time at the best of times..
That's why you comply with her demands, but let her know that's not the end of it. Been there and done that on Amtrak, and yes, my family stayed on the train, and we got satisfaction, and the employee was reprimanded. Bullies count on you caving in, and never hearing any more about it.

Reactions: Rbruz

+1000. I'll post my incident below this paragraph - it's long, but entertaining. Where it relates to this thread is if you demand an airline employee's name - especially if they know its so you can file a complaint, be prepared for retribution.

As for the damage to your gimbal, it bears repeating that the gimbal lock and dome DO NOT lock into place. Something must be between the dome and the bottom of the case, since the rubber bands on the gimbal plate stretch further than the holding force of the clamp or dome. If you're going to ship or transport, you have to make sure the dome is securely wedged in the package, else it'll pop off, and you'll be free-balling for the rest of the transport. Now, my story...

In October of 1998, I was removed from a Northwest Airlines flight leaving Memphis for New Orleans. I was in first class (purchased last minute). It was the last flight of the night, and already delayed by more than 2 hours. Because they kept announcing we could leave at "any minute" passengers were told to stay in the terminal. That meant, no dinner.

By the time we got on the plane, I was absolutely starving. The flamboyant flight attendant was cracking jokes with everyone in the first class cabin. I asked him if there was anything to eat on the short flight, since we were unable to eat in the terminal while waiting out the delay.

"Oh you think just because you upgraded to first class for free you're gonna get a meal?", the guy quipped.

"I paid full fare for this business trip, and was told not to leave the terminal"

"No body pays full fare on these flights. You need to learn how to play the game if you're going to be flying".

"Well, if the plane had actually left on time, I wouldn't be starving."

"Oh yea, we just dialed up mother nature to make sure your flight would be delayed"

"Well, do you have an peanuts or pretzles?"

"Oh, I've got your peanuts right here", as he grabs himself. Half the first class cabin chuckles, the other half gasps in shock.

At this point, I realized the guy was itching for a fight and simply asked for his name.

His response, "Look buddy, are you going to be a problem on this flight? Because if so, I can have you removed before we take off."

"No, I just want your name"

"Why?"

"So I can report you for being rude and condescending"

"That's it, you're off this flight."

He then takes off into the cockpit. Meanwhile, I ask the supermodel-looking woman next to me for her contact info, just in case the guy actually goes through with his threat. She gave me her phone number.

Immediately thereafter, a red-coated gate agent boards the plane and says, "Sir what is the problem here?"

I told the agent what happened, and that I simply wanted the attendant's name. She looked at him, and he said "It's Jeff".

I said, "that's all I wanted, thank you". With that, the gate agent gets off the plane and they close the door.

Then the guy kneels down next to me in the aisle, and says, "Look, I'm sorry if we got off on the wrong start. I was just joking around."

I said, "That's fine. All I wanted was your name."

"So you can report me?", Jeff asks.

"Yes, of course."

"That's it, you're off this plane".

And with that the door is opened, and three Memphis airport cops and the gate agent return. I'm asked to leave.

On the jetway, the cops take my DL to run for criminal checks. Meanwhile, we're screaming over the roaring jet engines as the plane pushes back from the gate. Within 2 minutes, the cops and the gate agent all say, "you should be on that plane".

The agent then rebooks me for the following morning's first flight. She says, "You know, I've seen lots of people removed from planes for various reasons, but this is the first time I've seen one removed where the passenger wasn't arrested." That spoke volumes to me.

I ended up staying at a local hotel, which I had to pay for. I spent most of the night taking notes and writing my letter to NWA.

I tried reaching out to my fellow passenger, but the number she gave me (or I wrote down wrong) wasn't valid.

Two months later, I receive a kiss-off letter from NWA customer relations. They 'investigated' and determined the flight crew acted appropriate given the circumstances.

I never flew NWA again.

In subsequent flights, I spoke with many flight crew about this. They all said that on an aircraft, all of the crew is basically deputized and operating as agents of the government. For many, they get off on that power, and will seek to escalate problems so they can flex that authority.​

OP why did this woman want you to check the bag? Was it a small plane? I had to check my wheeled carry-on bag once for a small plane. Was the Mavic loose in the backpack or was it in some sort of other case?

This is the case i use. It allows me to turn any bag into a Mavic bag with sufficient peace of mind that it'll be protected.

EVA Hard Travel Carry Storage Case Bag Shell Strap For DJI Mavic Pro RC Drone | eBay

There's only one critical piece of information that's missing here.. Did the hard case that the nice lady asked the OP to check in comply with the airline's size criteria for cabin luggage. If it did, the nice lady was wrong and if it was me, I would complain. If it did not comply then, move on, it should have been checked in no questions asked.

. :)

First, as someone who's had an airlines damage an item that they would not allow me to carry on a plane, I feel your pain.

First, as mentioned... the person being black does not matter in the situation. So there was no good point in adding that. What you needed to have done is, once they were going to check the bag, is to let them know there were lipo batteries in the pack. That is required of you. Granted, they should really be telling everyone this, and I've found that they usually do in a general announcement. Personally, I'd tell them that you'd rather leave them in the case and not carry they on your person. They may have then allowed you to keep your case. What you don't mention is when you boarded. Usually they only ask the last few people to check their bags. So I'm guessing that you were last in line. Someone has to be last though. Perhaps that could not have been avoided. Since I've gone through your situation before (not with a drone but rather a laptop), I now try to avoid being last if I need to carry something on. I'm now set up to where my laptop is separate from my carry on. I'm not in a rush to fly away from home so I always go out of my way to offer to check my carry on bag. Sometimes I do the same when I'm returning home if I can afford the time. I can only hope to set an example and other people understand it only takes an extra 10 minutes to pick up a checked bag.

You should certainly file a claim for any damage. I did with Delta and they paid my full purchase price on a 3 year old laptop! So I got paid more then the actual value. Make a claim for the Mavic and claim the full value. They might pay it and then you can sell what you have for parts. Though I feel your pain as now you did not have use of the Mavic on your trip or while the claim is being settled.

Personally, I'm not sure any liability limit would apply here. There is a limit on check'ed bags and you agree to this but your situation is different. You did not volunteer to check the bag, it was required after the fact. The bag was 100% in their control. Just my 2 cents if they apply a limit of liability.

*ADMIN EDIT: Please do not make this about race. Thank you.

I fly Lufthansa. Excellent service all the way. They even give me a free second meal. I carry a backpack and then my Mavic in its shoulder bag strapped across. When I was asked that I should only bring one carry on, I explained that this bag has Lipos, and that the total volume is still within the carryon size limit. They just let me continue.

Reactions: dbrbjb and iMario
Well, it happened in Houston, Texas. A rude black woman threatened to kick me and my wife off the plane if we didn't check our carry-ons.

We were flying to Punta Cana, DR. She had a soft bag that contained our IPads, headphones and snacks. It easily fit under the seat. I had my Mavic and it's gear in a small backpack which I stowed in a hard side, wheeled carry-on. It fit easily in the overhead.

The Gate woman said we would NOT be on the flight if we didn't comply with her orders. My wife took off and got on board. I waited at the gate and tried to explain that her bag fit easily under the seat. She wouldn't listen and threatened to remove her and me.

I didn't want to argue, and thought if I told her it's not legal to check lipos into baggage, that would certainly end with us kicked off. She put a claim sticker on my bag and kicks it down the baggage slide. It hit the ground hard. I dreaded what might have happened to my drone.

What really pisses me off, is American Airlines charges $25.00 for each checked bag, hence people pack way too much in carry-on. We each had one checked bag, and one carry-on. Her checked suitcase arrived missing its wheels. My forced check-on, my Mavic Pro, had damage to the gimbal, the clip and dome were both broken, and the gimbal was protruding out past the metal retaining clip.

Lesson here, at least in my case, I should have pulled the drone out of the hard case and checked the empty hard case. I would not fly on American Airlies again.
Sorry to hear you were given a difficult time, but how does the color of the person's skin have anything to do with your issue? Let's judge folks by the strength of their character (or lack of), and not the color of their skin. Your time would have been better spent writing a letter to the airline explaining your situation than voicing your frustrations on this forum.

*ADMIN EDIT: Please do not turn this into a race thing. Thank you.

Reactions: stratos and HiVac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ