DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to pull the trigger on a new Mavic and curious about a few things

Windwarrior

Reactions
Howdy all!
I just joined and am curious about a couple of things.

I'm a big outdoors person and the main reason I'm leaning towards the Mavic is how compact it is.

There's a few things I've looked into for accessories and I'm wondering if anyone has any and how well they're working for you.

My first concern however is connectivity with zero cell service while on a hike. I'm assuming using a tablet will require wifi signal?? So I would only be able to use the transmitter??

Second is just curiosity about accessories. I stumbled across a guy on YouTube that talked about two things.
1) some sort of locking device that holds the control knobs on the transmitter in place so they don't get damaged during transportation in a bag,backpack etc.
And
2) a tracker holder that clips onto the rear arms which holds a tracking device in place perfectly!
As far as the tracking device, pretty much the same question as above regarding signal since the tracker is via an app.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice!

Reactions: Chickenskat
Cell service is not required to use the mavic. Read, search, read, search. Plenty of info on this site.

Reactions: Bernie707
Mate, yes,

I think one must own thing its a something to grap the joysticks so the are not being forced to one side or another. I think this is the only one as a must.
Now , regarding the additional best adds, it might be for example:

a) Landing gear there are multiple options
b) ND Filters they are a must if you want to squeeze the best of the mavic camera

About the tracker device, I think its a bit useless IMHO, but unless you plan to crash a lot, well get it.

I bought this landing gear extension from Amazon.com: FSL DJI Mavic Pro Landing Gear Leg Height Extender Kit Riser Set Stabilizers with Protection Pad (Grey): Camera & Photo and they come packed in a stiff foam that fits perfectly over the controller sticks. You could stiffen the back by glueing some cardboard and the sticks would be well protected. I bought the Taco RC ND Filters and used the ND32 over snow covered landscape yesterday. I am uploading a comparison to filters vs no filters to YouTube right now but it indicates 2 more hours. This is they link indicated by YouTube where it will be.
I am not sure if that is the Public url but I'll check back in the morning. You will see an hour right now because it is not processed.

Best one to have for your controller is here. I actually have one for the mp and the controller,but I can't remember where I got the pair. Amazon.com: Crazepony Mini Pocket Bag Case for DJI Mavic Pro Controller Transmitter: Toys & Games

This looks nice!
This is a quote from the description...
  • Attention 1 ------ The material is the same material of Car Roof, it is high quality, while, just as new car, our new mini DJI Mavic Pro bag case will have a little smell, and will fade several days later. If you mind this, please do not purchase, thank you .
I got a good laugh!! Little smell?? :)

Like I said, do some hunting. I got mine from somewhere else and it was both pieces for about 20.00. (Mine didn't smell)

Like I said, do some hunting. I got mine from somewhere else and it was both pieces for about 20.00. (Mine didn't smell)

I'm not knocking it. I just thought that was a funny piece of info on their site.
Thanks for the link.

I don't have my MP yet, but I'm all in on this baby. Same as you..I did my research and made my decision. I figured I be flying a lot and opted for the Fly more package. I've also ordered extra props and a few 3rd party add-ons like landing gear. Like you, I spend a lot of time outdoors and travel quite a bit so I also ordered a hard case for extra protection. Main advice, be patient...the Mavic is in high demand and be prepared to wait. Hopefully that changes after Chinese New Year. Most of the people in this forum are great and full of knowledge and advice. Good luck, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiftiesnut
I don't have my MP yet, but I'm all in on this baby. Same as you..I did my research and made my decision. I figured I be flying a lot and opted for the Fly more package. I've also, ordered extra props and a few 3rd add-ons like landing gear. Like you, I spend a lot of time outdoors and travel quite a bit so I also ordered a hard case for extra protection. Main advice, be patient...the Mavic is in high demand and be prepared to wait. Hopefully that changes after Chinese New Year. Most of the people in this forum are great and full of knowledge and advise. Good luck, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Thanks.
Btw, I stumbled across an actual DJI retail store. I went to check it out and ended up staying for over 2hrs. When I was about to leave one of the mgrs. came out from the back office and tells me "I have 10 coming in. Want one?" I just about passed out. Lol.

Thanks.
Btw, I stumbled across an actual DJI retail store. I went to check it out and ended up staying for over 2hrs. When I was about to leave one of the mgrs. came out from the back office and tells me "I have 10 coming in. Want one?" I just about passed out. Lol.

We have one here too. I spent 2 weeks calling and checking before I gave up and just ordered through the dji store. I'd probably one have by now.

I was off a bit on the cost. Terrible when you get a little older and your gray matter starts to dwindle :(

My first concern however is connectivity with zero cell service while on a hike.
I have just been researching this challenge on this forum and thanks to several folks on here I think I have a pretty good understanding of how things work in remote areas. The first thing you would need to do is to locally cache maps to use while you are in the remote area. If you will be using a cellular phone or a tablet with cellular capability, these devices have an on board GPS receiver and will provide that info to the DJI GO 4 app. Your location is needed to use the Follow Me capability, but perhaps more important to be able to update the Mavic pro with a new Return To Home location. In other words if you move from the original launch site, the Mavic needs to know where you went, to RTH to the new location. If you are using a tablet without cellular capability, such as the iPAD Mini 2 (WI-Fi only) like I will be using, you will need a Bluetooth enabled external GPS receiver.

I have just been researching this challenge on this forum and thanks to several folks on here I think I have a pretty good understanding of how things work in remote areas. The first thing you would need to do is to locally cache maps to use while you are in the remote area. If you will be using a cellular phone or a tablet with cellular capability, these devices have an on board GPS receiver and will provide that info to the DJI GO 4 app. Your location is needed to use the Follow Me capability, but perhaps more important to be able to update the Mavic pro with a new Return To Home location. In other words if you move from the original launch site, the Mavic needs to know where you went, to RTH to the new location. If you are using a tablet without cellular capability, such as the iPAD Mini 2 (WI-Fi only) like I will be using, you will need a Bluetooth enabled external GPS receiver.

So, the controller being gps enabled makes sense. I didn't even think about that! LOL!!!!

Neither of my tablets ( Mini and Ipad 2 ) are wifi capable. My cell pretty much loses signal on almost every trailhead so that's out.

So, the controller being gps enabled makes sense. I didn't even think about that! LOL!!!!

Neither of my tablets ( Mini and Ipad 2 ) are wifi capable. My cell pretty much loses signal on almost every trailhead so that's out.

But your cell even if it looses signal at the trailhead will still have GPS where Apple tablet with only wifi don't have a gps antenna.

I'm really not sure why Apple doesn't have GPS in their wifi only tablets like almost everyone else does. I would assume to be able to make extra money and gouge the customer further then they already do.

If you pickup almost any andriod tablet over 50.00 even if it has wifi only it will still have a GPS antenna in it. I'm using the Nvida shield.

Reactions: Elliott and AyeYo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato