DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Above the Fog - still can't believe I made this shot

This morning a grey fog. Ascended above the fog and just WOW! Will upload the video in a moment

View attachment 9391

VERY cool. Excellent shooting. ISO, exposure, white balance, focus, everything is right on target. Can't wait to see the video.

Looks like you did everything just right and captured this surreal phenomena and moment perfectly. This is one of the Mavic Pro's greatest assets, in my mind. You can see something great to shoot, be up in a minute or two, and then take off filming or photographing it. This is one reason I always take my Mavic, charged batteries, and my takeoff mat wherever I go. Because you never know what you might run into, and the Mavic is easy to have on hand when that moment presents itself.

Thumbs way up. I'm sure the video will be awesome.

The portability is great. Totally agree. Unfortunately I only had time before work to take her up, look around quickly and back down again. No time to fly around. Maybe next time. The video will only show the transition from the dull gray fog to the awesome picture above. Compiling as we speak.

Reactions: CC Rider
Here is the video. Not happy with how my video software downsampled my 4K footage to 1080p. It doesn't seem to like the soft edges on the fog. Will upload the original 4K footage to youtube as well to see if it is any better.

Here is the video. Not happy with how my video software downsampled my 4K footage to 1080p. It doesn't seem to like the soft edges on the fog. Will upload the original 4K footage to youtube as well to see if it is any better.

Once again.very good to me. Question: were you happy with your image results from the sd card, through your video editing software, to the results youtube gave you or do you think your image quality deteriorated at some point, and if so where?

Reactions: D700
Reason I ask is sometimes I have seen a decrease of image quality with YouTube videos when viewed on the Forum page. Don't know why. But when I've gone to the poster's YouTube channel the image quality is tack sharp. That's why I'm curious as to where along the line you first noticed image degradation..

I recently started using GoPro studio to edit my 4K videos.

It's free.

I not a camera guy but am very happy with the app.

I also bought a new computer with Intel i7 chip...because my other computers made it impossibly slow to do anything in 4K

My previous laptop has a cracked screen, so it was time.

Reason I ask is sometimes I have seen a decrease of image quality with YouTube videos when viewed on the Forum page. Don't know why. But when I've gone to the poster's YouTube channel the image quality is tack sharp. That's why I'm curious as to where along the line you first noticed image degradation..

Does viewing the video in the forum give the option to choose quality? When viewing at YouTube one can change the quality from auto to 1080 or 4K

In the 1080 vid it appeared that the camera was trying to AutoFocus?? Now I am wondering if you first faced away from the sun, focused and then came slowly around if the focus would have been a little sharper? Also ... when you first upload to Youtube you don't get the quality right away .... it slowly gets better.

Y
I recently started using GoPro studio to edit my 4K videos.

It's free.

I not a camera guy but am very happy with the app.

I also bought a new computer with Intel i7 chip...because my other computers made it impossibly slow to do anything in 4K

My previous laptop has a cracked screen, so it was time.

Yep, it takes the right tools to get the job done right, no getting around that. The great thing is once you get what you like, you just stick with it, learn it, and it's a one time expense that pays itself off a thousand times over down the road.

Every part of drone videography is high tech, from flying the drone itself to using the video-editing software you decide to invest in and the computer power needed to perform the task at hand. A good upgrade now will be cheaper than one a year from now. Good luck with your setup and the results you get.

Really nice work....been up through fog/mist 4 or 5 times now with my old F550, the first time i was quite frankly sh1tting myself :p
Such an awesome sight:D

Attachments

• 15843992_1203646819690182_4355980744617930885_o.jpg
    15843992_1203646819690182_4355980744617930885_o.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 15895669_1210916578963206_6084003369648174500_o.jpg
    15895669_1210916578963206_6084003369648174500_o.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 15800342_1202209946500536_4749671173876510542_o.jpg
    15800342_1202209946500536_4749671173876510542_o.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 23
Really nice work....been up through fog/mist 4 or 5 times now with my old F550, the first time i was quite frankly sh1tting myself :p
Such an awesome sight:D

Nice. What kind of terrain were you in? Was there water somewhere nearby? How much altitude did you need to get those shots would you say?

Reactions: Annevanzwol

Award-winning video, mate! Very pleasant to watch - and hear. Thanks for sharing!

Are you willing to share your camera settings? - hutch

I'm also curious - not only as to your camera settings, but also what altitude you were at.

Camera settings. Everything on default and automatic. Not entirely sure on height. If I remember correctly I cleared the fog at ca. 100 meters.

Last edited:
Once again.very good to me. Question: were you happy with your image results from the sd card, through your video editing software, to the results youtube gave you or do you think your image quality deteriorated at some point, and if so where?

Raw 4K footage looks fine to me. In post-processing I have upped the contrast a little bit. Saturation didn't need any tweaking.

I used Hitfilm 4 Express which I really like to work with. The disadvantage is that the output of the free version is limited to 1080p. For normal youtube uploads that kinds of works. However it didn't do a good job on the fog. I assume because of the fuzzy egdes. So thinking of upgrading to the full version. It is expensive (300 EUR with this weeks discount) but I still like it better than the subscription model of Adobe Premiere. Costs coming back each month.

Uploading to Youtube doesn't help quality either. So the trick is to upload as high a resolution as possible.

Nice. What kind of terrain were you in? Was there water somewhere nearby? How much altitude did you need to get those shots would you say?

Shot in the British countryside, no water near by.

100m on some but generally 200.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu