DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active-Track Circle-Me around Tilting Trike riding around the Swan River

mrrtmrrt

Reactions
Flying my DJI Mavic Pro drone in Active Track follow-me and circle-me modes in light winds and strong 25-30 knot winds riding my Karda tilting trike around the Swan River in Perth, Western Australia interspersed with a bit of GoPro footage showing the rider's eye view and the tilting suspension at work.

Interesting how ActiveTrack sometimes flies the drone very close to the subject but other times the drone gets left behind a moderately fast moving subject (And the drone was in Sport mode for almost all of this footage). It was quite windy for some of the footage, so perhaps that is the reason?

Last edited:
From my experience, the mavic has a hard time keeping the same distance while in active track. it gets worst as the subject is moving faster... I think it just takes too long to process "Oh, the subject is moving..... I should move with it..... Oh, the subject is getting smaller, i should speed up" kinda thing

Btw just curious, where did you put the controller after you put it away to ride?

From my experience, the mavic has a hard time keeping the same distance while in active track. it gets worst as the subject is moving faster... I think it just takes too long to process "Oh, the subject is moving..... I should move with it..... Oh, the subject is getting smaller, i should speed up" kinda thing

Yes, it does seem that though the drone is capable of 65km/h, even with 24 CPU cores it is difficult for the drone to respond fast enough to keep the optimum distance away all the time.

Btw just curious, where did you put the controller after you put it away to ride?

If you look more closely at the trike, you will see the remote control is attached to my iPhone which is clipped into a phone holder on the top of the right-hand steering lever. It puts the remote and app nicely within reach for tweaking the flight of the drone while riding.

Reactions: Tomdog
Yes, it does seem that though the drone is capable of 65km/h, even with 24 CPU cores it is difficult for the drone to respond fast enough to keep the optimum distance away all the time.

If you look more closely at the trike, you will see the remote control is attached to my iPhone which is clipped into a phone holder on the top of the right-hand steering lever. It puts the remote and app nicely within reach for tweaking the flight of the drone while riding.

Ah, now that i put it in full screen, can see it a lot easier xD but that looks great!

Flying my DJI Mavic Pro drone in Active Track follow-me and circle-me modes in light and strong 25-30 knot winds riding my Karda tilting trike around the Swan River in Perth, Western Australia interspersed with a bit of GoPro footage showing the rider's eye view and the tilting suspension at work.

Interesting how ActiveTrack sometimes flies the drone very close to the subject but other times the drone gets left behind a moderately fast moving subject (And the drone was in Sport mode for almost all of this footage). It was quite windy for some of the footage, so perhaps that is the reason?
Nice trike would have to dispute you 25-30 knot estimate unless your flag is made out of lead.

Nice trike would have to dispute you 25-30 knot estimate unless your flag is made out of lead.

Only some of the footage was filmed on a day when the Bureau of Meteorology was reporting those wind speeds and even then I was in the wind shadow of some hills part of the time. Sorry if I phrased the comment poorly! :)

Last edited:
Great work there. Kudos to you.... [emoji113] [emoji106] [emoji122]

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent