DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track fly away

Reactions
Hi guy's I have been flying a P3 Advanced for 15mths and have had no problems. In January I bought the Mavic but because of the weather I haven't flown it much. While trying the Active Track last weekend trying to follow and circle my wife running as a test, the mavic just set off on its own climbing without any input from myself all the time flying away from it's home point. It did return on RTH selection but I was sure I had a wind warning beforehand so I thought I would be better getting nearer to it in the car and trying to manually land it first. The Active Track seemed to lose track of my wife and just went off, she is pretty so that's wasn't the problem :). I have attached the log so would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-04-15_[10-44-02].txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
I took a quick look at bits of data and there's nothing obvious. I do suggest you wait for GPS lock before starting the motors.

Whenever it does something wildly unexpected: hit the pause button and cancel the current mode until you can sort it out.

If it's due to wind, prepare to put it in Sport mode for the return.

The other day I had it (P4P) tracking me in my car. The controller slipped back on the seat and the right stick was pushed left by the seatbelt strap. I didn't know this until after I looked at it, meanwhile the drone was "flying away". I hit the up stick - and a good thing - would have flown into some trees. Stopped the car, killed active track and brought it back. Much more careful with the RC when doing such things now.

Thanks Alan I usually just hit the RTH when anything unusual happens but the thing I cannot get my head around is the way it acted like one stick was hard forward and one hard back without any manual input from myself.

Thanks Alan I usually just hit the RTH when anything unusual happens but the thing I cannot get my head around is the way it acted like one stick was hard forward and one hard back without any manual input from myself.

I'll take another look at the stick positions. I neglected to do that.

Out of curiosity do you use DrDrone in Dartmouth? I bought my MP from them. Very good support on the phone. But bought the P4P from DJI direct to save GST/QST.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
There's nothing going on with the sticks while the distance is increasing at the end of the flight. Wind took it or a flyaway. Home Point was correctly set to be sure.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-20_17-43-40.png
    upload_2017-4-20_17-43-40.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 57
Yes I bought the MP from Dr Drone but the P3 was from Henry's on Bayers Lake. The wind was not strong enough to take it away that quickly and how did it climb so high? It makes me wary of trying the Active track again.

It happened because the Mavic lost track of your wife and started tracking something else in the distance.
The log shows that it was in Active Track mode while it flew away and headed in a straight line like it was heading for a distant object. Luckily you cancelled it with the RTH.

Rob

Reactions: Maritime Skies
It happened because the Mavic lost track of your wife and started tracking something else in the distance.
The log shows that it was in Active Track mode while it flew away and headed in a straight line like it was heading for a distant object. Luckily you cancelled it with the RTH.

Rob

What would it acquire?

Hi Rob Thanks for your input. It took off in reverse so surely the Active Track would need the forward facing camera to track something. That would still not explain the altitude climbing constantly as it flew away.

I would have to look at in more depth, but it was in active track mode when it flew away from you and the set course was a perfectly straight line. Did you tap anything by mistake?

Alan I have no idea what it acquired, there seems to be a building and a parking lot right where it was headed. My first thought was that it might have been sun light reflecting off a cars windscreen. The truth is we will never know but it certainly was tracking something that was in the distance and stationary.

Rob

Hi Rob Thanks for your input. It took off in reverse so surely the Active Track would need the forward facing camera to track something. That would still not explain the altitude climbing constantly as it flew away.
Did you have Backwards Flying enabled for Active Track? If not, then the Mavic should not have flown backwards. But if it was enabled, it's possible it did think it was tracking something, as Rob suggests.

Hi guy's I have been flying a P3 Advanced for 15mths and have had no problems. In January I bought the Mavic but because of the weather I haven't flown it much. While trying the Active Track last weekend trying to follow and circle my wife running as a test, the mavic just set off on its own climbing without any input from myself all the time flying away from it's home point. It did return on RTH selection but I was sure I had a wind warning beforehand so I thought I would be better getting nearer to it in the car and trying to manually land it first. The Active Track seemed to lose track of my wife and just went off, she is pretty so that's wasn't the problem :). I have attached the log so would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Hell with the log, lets see the footage of the wife!

Reactions: HiVac
Hi Rob I don't recall tapping anything by mistake. Backward flying was enabled in AT, After looking at the video I am wondering if I got some interference from the power lines below. www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0hG4TcsmihWw6

I have no clue, but I doubt it was the power lines.
I don't think we will ever get a clear idea of what happened. At one point I thought it might have been the Sun causing it to think that an obstacle was in the way, but your video debunks that. There is no tool that allows me to see the forward VPS sensors data to know if it thought something was in front of the Mavic.

Rob

Thanks all the same Rob, I suppose I will have to do a few more trials with the Active Track before I can fully trust it.

Maritime skies I was informed by Budwalker that the DAT file does include the forward VPS sensor data. If you can upload the DAT file from the Mavic to a Dropbox account I can see what happened.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000