DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ActiveTrack works only for a short time in WiFi mode

niclariv

Reactions
Today I tested out WiFi mode thinking it might be the solution to filming myself doing things like.. well anything really where I don't want to be constantly holding the controller in the video. Hiking for example. I thought it might be great to be able to launch the mavic, put it in active track put my phone in my pocket, and hike/climb etc. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the sticks on the RC being pushed if I have it in a bag while doing this.

So I tried it out in a big open field, and found it not to work very well. I launched, set it to active track, and started walking very slowly. After a very short time, it stopped following me, and looking at my phone it gave me the message 'control signal timeout (RC)'. I still had a good connection between the drone and my phone, and they weren't far from each other, and I was in an open field. There were a few houses and buildings around but really less wifi than in many other parts of a city. I'm not sure if it was saying that it had disconnected or not anyway, I think not, because my phone was getting the messages and I could see the FPV on my screen.

I tried it again and got the same message with active track stopping when the message came up. The first time my phone was in my pocket (with the screen still on) and the second time it was in my hands.

Next thing that happened is it gave me a message saying Aircraft is entering a restricted area and wouldn't let me put it in active track again. When I first launched it said I'm in a warning zone (class E) fly with caution, but I've flown in this field with the controller lots of times, including active track, without a problem.

I'm on an iPhone 6S if it matters. Anyone have more experience with flying over WiFi and it's limitations/fixes?

How far away was the Mavic away when the timeout occured? Be aware that WIFI range is very limited and signal strength gets also weakened by shielding from your body and clothing, especially if you put the phone into your pocket nearby your skin.

Not very far - definitely close enough that if it was a normal wifi router to iPhone connection at home it would be really weird for there to be a problem at that distance. And the second time it happened I didn't put the phone in my pocket. It was in my hands and I was facing away from the drone, but the video signal appeared to still be good. I see there's something in the manual about being able to switch the drone to a different wifi frequency so I'll see if I can figure that out and if it helps.

iPhone 6S

niclariv, did you solved your problem? I've got exactly the same, i tried with five differents smartphones and always 1 minute flight and stop "entering restricted area". I have to land and take off again...but 1 minute later it stopped again. I have tested everywhere (to be sure it was not a restricted area), always same problem.
I'm waiting for help from dji assistance but they don't really want to find an issue (10th mail, they are still analysing my flight data!).

so thanks for your answer if you found something.

No, I've been dealing with bigger issues since then - i exchanges the Mavic for a jello problem, and then again for a focus problem.. I plan on trying to make this work again soon though. Please let me know if you solved it with yours, and I'll post here if I figure it out.

hi,
after 20 mails DJI sent me a transport code to return my drone. i will do it next week.

hi,
after 20 mails DJI sent me a transport code to return my drone. i will do it next week.

For this specific issue? I just had the same thing happen tonight while running an experiment. I thought it was because I was near a "paper" (nonexistent, but on the sectional) heliport.

hi, i finaly found my problem!
Actually it's because i live in an Enhanced Warning Zone. So if i'm flying with the rc no problem: i confirm the warning and fly. but in wifi, i confirm the warning but the aircraft stopped the flight!
i tried everything (three differents smartphones, with or without geo system active) the aircraft stoped after one minute, and sometimes more.
But as it's an EWZ, you can't unlock through DJI geo online, you have to send a request to flysafe@dji and they will unlock the zone. it's ok for me: in wifi (don't forget to activate the option in your cell's settings: if no internet with wifi use data), then in flight restriction select update, the EWZ appears.
but it works only for three months.

i'm hapy i can use my drone in wifi...for three months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803