DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on Ipad Mini 4 ...... Non Apple user!!

D95GAS

Reactions
Hi,

Looking at getting the iPad mini 4 for my MP, currently have the Nexus 7 (2013) but the horror stories I hear about Android devices and MP are a little off putting.

I appreciate for GPS I would need the WiFi + Cellular Version, but where I am stuck is on the size to go for; 16Gb, 32gb or 128Gb?

The MP writes the video and pics directly to the SD card on the MP, so is there any real requirement to go for the high end Mini 4?

It wont be used for anything else other then the MP, so dont want to throw good money away on something that wont get used, so if I can get away with the lower memory one, then all the better.

So is there any overwhelming arguments to go for either the 32Gb or the 128Gb models?

Many thanks and I look forward to the responses.

Hi,

Looking at getting the iPad mini 4 for my MP, currently have the Nexus 7 (2013) but the horror stories I hear about Android devices and MP are a little off putting.

I appreciate for GPS I would need the WiFi + Cellular Version, but where I am stuck is on the size to go for; 16Gb, 32gb or 128Gb?

The MP writes the video and pics directly to the SD card on the MP, so is there any real requirement to go for the high end Mini 4?

It wont be used for anything else other then the MP, so dont want to throw good money away on something that wont get used, so if I can get away with the lower memory one, then all the better.

So is there any overwhelming arguments to go for either the 32Gb or the 128Gb models?

Many thanks and I look forward to the responses.

Well, I find it adds a lot of value that I can show/share the photos and footage that were taken and cached on the phone directly via whatsapp, or show it to friends without the need to take the sd card, put it in a laptop, etc. So for those purposes I myself would like to have more than 16Gb.

I would try the Nexus before spending, I find it works well enough, though mine has little more than DJI Go and Go4 on it.
Very tight in the arms though, you have to take the slider thing out (good idea anyway) and get the corners in the slots.

Yes I think thats what I am going to do first, I have managed to fit it in and it fits really nice. I have 2 of them, and one will only be used for the MP, so only has DJI Go 4 on it and nothing else. I have also stripped out and disabled everything that I can to ensure maximum amount of memory available.

The only other thing I was looking at was the DJI Ground station application, but by the sounds of it, I would be better of with some of the 3rd party apps that do run on Android.

And the added bonus of the Nexus is that it has GPS without me having to spend extra on a cellular version just to get GPS.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I have the iPad Mini 4 with No cellular/No GPS and just 16GB. I use it exclusively for the Mavic, and have never had any issues with storage space whatsoever

I have it set to only save the last 4GB of cached video on the iPad itself, so I always have at least 45 minutes of flight time from my last few flights to show off using the device alone if I need to. But I rarely do this anyway. I only spent $300 on the iPad 4 mini brand new on eBay. Cacheing the maps is quick and easy and just has to be done once, and active track works almost as good as Follow Me, so I've never missed the GPS function.

Thanks for that TrayBoz, that was exactly the scenario I was thinking of. Can sell my Nexus 7 and put that towards the iPad. I will try the nexus first, but I believe the general consensus is Apple is more stable...... as much as I hate Apple and hate the fact that I have to make that statement.....but it may prove to be a must.

My Ipad Air had 16 gig and I had zero issues with it and its size. It is a drone-dedictated device. My Ipad Mini 4 is a 128 gig. My goal was to do a little test. I wanted to see if putting a bunch of apps, music, and video on the device would have any negative impact when it came to using it to fly my drones. Nope no issues what-so-ever. Of course I close apps I'm not using. Which is what I do on any of my devices anyways.

I've also left my Ipad Mini 4 tethered to my Iphone so I could get maps for where I was flying without having to "preload" them or buy cellular service, and I've had ZERO issues with my Ipad Mini 4.

Thanks MavicMo - thats good information. How do you find flying using the Ipad Air?

I wouldn't consider myself an Apple user either. I'm just a guy who likes to use devices that work (no matter the brand). Mavic pilots rarely post about issues with Apple devices. You'll be very happy with the performance of the iPad Mini 4 if you choose to buy it.

is there any overwhelming arguments to go for either the 32Gb or the 128Gb models?
I've always used 16GB iPad Minis when flying Mavics (and other DJI drones). Space has never been an issue for me since I only use them to fly. If you're planning on installing a bunch of apps and also want to cache the video on the iPad Mini, then you should consider getting at least the 32GB model.

Thanks MSinger, appreciate the advice. I am actually looking at a 2nd hand iPad Mini 4, that just happens to be 32Gb (1 month old) Not that it will be used for anything other than the MP, so will only have the DJI app(s) and maybe a 3rd party app for the MP, so that should give me stacks of room.

Just reading the various forums, and I know some users are using the Nexus 7, but it just seems the iPad is a tad more reliable, and given the amount of money already spent, I would much prefer reliability over anything else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair