DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

African airline reports drone collision with passenger jet

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
An African airline reported Friday that one of its planes collided with a drone while approaching the airport in Tete, Mozambique.

Linhas Aereas de Mozambique (LAM) said on its Facebook page that the Boeing 737-700 was approaching Tete from Maputo on Thursday about 5:15 p.m. local time with 86 people aboard when the incident happened. The plane landed safely without any injuries. [read more at source linked below]

SOURCE:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/06/african-airline-reports-drone-collision-passenger-jet/96237622/

C1fZWsSXcAA-kpZ.jpg

I don't see a mavic pro or phantom type drone causing the amount of damage specially as it seems there are multiple points of impact... as per I could be wrong..

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

I don't understand why these expensive planes don't have a dashcam (or maybe I haven't been on the newer planes).
I see all these aircraft investigation episodes and they all have black box recorders that only records aircraft data and voice recordings. Can't someone add a few solid state drives and wire a few live gopro cameras for the cabin, cockpit, a few exteriors. It would double up as onboard security etc.

I don't understand why these expensive planes don't have a dashcam (or maybe I haven't been on the newer planes).
I see all these aircraft investigation episodes and they all have black box recorders that only records aircraft data and voice recordings. Can't someone add a few solid state drives and wire a few live gopro cameras for the cabin, cockpit, a few exteriors. It would double up as onboard security etc.

Some airplanes have internal cameras in the cabin.
There's a lot of resistance, and for good reason, to put them in the cockpit, and it would be a pain to install and maintain on the exterior of the fuselage.

The flight data recorder provides plenty of data, so an exterior one really wouldn't be of much value, if any.
On the other hand, the last airplane I flew, the 777-300 series, has two exterior cameras that show the nose gear and main gear. These cameras are used to assist in ground maneuvering because the airplane is so big it's at times tough to taxi the thing without running the main gear in the dirt on narrower taxiways.
The picture must be displayed on a screen we use for critical flight information while in the air, and there's not a spare display of suitable size to display it, so it isn't used in the air.

Reactions: erkme73
That, and a $400 consumer GO Pro, after the FAA gets done with it will cost the airlines $40k, plus $1k in annual inspection work.

Investigate and provide it. I'm skeptical of all alleged drone encounters

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: auen1
Sorry, but I don't see a drone ,(unless it was a very large one weighing several pounds) doing that much damage to a radome, a large bird maybe, either way there should be traces of something left on the radome to point to what it actually was that they hit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Anyone want to take a guess at what the odds are USA Today (or any MSM) will run a follow up story if it turns out to be something other than a drone?

I'm sure they will. They like aviation drama, 200 people can die in car accidents across the U. S. in one day and nothing said, but if 2 people die in a Cessna 150 because of a stupid mistake, it makes national news and we all need to know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I doubt it. Page 1 if its suspect drone. Page 6 if that same page 1 story later turns out to be a floating Walmart bag - if they even do the follow up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian