DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

African airline reports drone collision with passenger jet

I'm sure they will. They like aviation drama, 200 people can die in car accidents across the U. S. in one day and nothing said, but if 2 people die in a Cessna 150 because of a stupid mistake, it makes national news and we all need to know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I know, right? NBC ran a story about the RASH of private plane crashes in 2016. 19 of them. OMG that's an amazing statistic but they are just selling headlines. A "drone" crash is so much more titillating. I doubt we'll get the whole story.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole story is a cover to shift blame over an incident on the tarmac.
It looks suspiciously like something far more substantial than a quadcopter bumped it.

They used to be called "quads", or "quad copters" or tricopters but now they're called "drones" because it vilifies them to so many people due to the governments use "drones" for spying and killing. You can see the reaction on people's faces when they hear the word.

Plane hitting a drone at 150 would easily damage the nose. To be fair it was a glancing blow in this case... whatever it was.
7ea9b1cbf958af8c8fa4fc7af15b97a2.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
They used to be called "quads", or "quad copters" or tricopters but now they're called "drones" because it vilifies them to so many people due to the governments use "drones" for spying and killing. You can see the reaction on people's faces when they hear the word

This is so true! Whenever possible, I try not to use the stupid "D" word. Not only is it not applied properly in most cases (look up the definition of "drone") but it does usually prompt the negative reactions that you stated above. We really are our own worst enemy is sometimes.

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
An African airline reported Friday that one of its planes collided with a drone while approaching the airport in Tete, Mozambique.

Linhas Aereas de Mozambique (LAM) said on its Facebook page that the Boeing 737-700 was approaching Tete from Maputo on Thursday about 5:15 p.m. local time with 86 people aboard when the incident happened. The plane landed safely without any injuries. [read more at source linked below]

SOURCE:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/06/african-airline-reports-drone-collision-passenger-jet/96237622/

C1fZWsSXcAA-kpZ.jpg

This is the real story: It was a huge drone used for surveying.

A Boeing 727 carrying 80 passenger reportedly was hit by a drone as it approached landing in Mozambique. The Linhas Aereas de Mocambique (LAM) jet was headed to Tete and as it approached the runway, the pilots reported hearing a loud band on the front of the plane.

The crew suspected a bird strike and made a safe landing but a post flight examination revealed a drone had impacted the right side of the nose of the plane, causing significant damage, according to the airline.

The airline confirmed the occurrence, according to the Aviation Herald, and a replacement aircraft was dispatched to Tete to perform the return flight.

While in many countries there are strict rules around drone use near airports, there are frequent drone flights in the area around the Tete airport for mining surveys. The Aviation Herald reported that witnesses say the drones, weighing about 22 pounds, are operated without regard to aircraft traffic. No one has reported a missing drone yet.

How difficult is it to maintain a radome in airworthy condition? Makes me wonder about the airworthiness of the airframe which actually has moving parts!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Well what ever they hit it was tough enough to lacerate three full thickness and separate strips of the planes aluminium skin! Think we can rule out a mavic!! Looks like it hit one of Santa's Reindeer with a full set of antlers!!

Fly safe... :)
Possibly fiberglass?

They used to be called "quads", or "quad copters" or tricopters but now they're called "drones" because it vilifies them to so many people due to the governments use "drones" for spying and killing. You can see the reaction on people's faces when they hear the word.

Well, it's also the standardization of the camera and live video feed that lends the "drone" nomenclature. Pretty significant difference from years past.

I think the cover up has started after the Mozambique governments latest stealth weapon was hit by a passenger jet.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
760fea1262e26fa4f06123eeb5b0159c.jpg

... moron flyers need not complain! [emoji35]

Whatever it was the quads are going to get blamed and catch hell. There are so many newbies flying all types of quads ignoring rules that things will tighten up so bad you won't be able to fly. Question is who will be the first victim of the breach of rules and at what monetary cost to them? Use caution where and how your flying guys this is serious s#*^.

This is the real story: It was a huge drone used for surveying.

A Boeing 727 carrying 80 passenger reportedly was hit by a drone as it approached landing in Mozambique. The Linhas Aereas de Mocambique (LAM) jet was headed to Tete and as it approached the runway, the pilots reported hearing a loud band on the front of the plane.

The crew suspected a bird strike and made a safe landing but a post flight examination revealed a drone had impacted the right side of the nose of the plane, causing significant damage, according to the airline.

The airline confirmed the occurrence, according to the Aviation Herald, and a replacement aircraft was dispatched to Tete to perform the return flight.

While in many countries there are strict rules around drone use near airports, there are frequent drone flights in the area around the Tete airport for mining surveys. The Aviation Herald reported that witnesses say the drones, weighing about 22 pounds, are operated without regard to aircraft traffic. No one has reported a missing drone yet.
No offense, but your "real story" turned out to be false as most of us suspected.

Reactions: Slantnose79
And the OFFICIAL report is now structural failure.... they did not hit anything at all... BREAKING: Mozambique incident NOT a drone collision - The Digital Circuit
This is just like the one in the UK last year, they claimed a drone hit it, or came close to hitting it, and it turned out to be a plastic bag. People have such hatred for drones, because they don't understand them, or are afraid of them. Whenever I fly and there are people around, so many come up to me to ask questions, and usually those people are harmless and cool, because they are curious. But people who believe media 100%, especially these kind of stories, those are the dangerous ones.

Shocking... exactly what I thought. Not a "drone"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada