DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Hammer

Reactions
So what is one to do... I live at the very outside edge (300 feet inside) of Class G airspace however the DJI app shows this and throws up the bypass screen. I called the local airfield to inform them of my intent. The response I recieved was that at my distance out they simply didn't care, so long as Im below the 400 foot ceiling. Recommendations? The gentleman I spoke with said as long as I'm 400 or below then there's no reason to call. The drone will fly. I just have to acknowledge the warning in the app. Anyone else encounter this?

If the airfield says it's fine, it's probably fine. I'd just go and fly.

100% of everywhere is one type of airspace or another. Class G airspace exists wherever Class A, B, C, D or E airspace doesn't. I think you might have the airspace's mixed up. What are the exact coordinates of where you are trying to fly.

If the tower says you're fine then you're fine, don't sweat it. Just stay below 400' and stay away from the airfield.

100% of everywhere is one type of airspace or another. Class G airspace exists wherever Class A, B, C, D or E airspace doesn't. I think you might have the airspace's mixed up. What are the exact coordinates of where you are trying to fly.

Northern edge of SW Washington Regional Airport. Literally the very edge. I walk 300 feet north and I'm in uncontrolled space.

So what is one to do... I live at the very outside edge (300 feet inside) of Class G airspace however the DJI app shows this and throws up the bypass screen. I called the local airfield to inform them of my intent. The response I recieved was that at my distance out they simply didn't care, so long as Im below the 400 foot ceiling. Recommendations? The gentleman I spoke with said as long as I'm 400 or below then there's no reason to call. The drone will fly. I just have to acknowledge the warning in the app. Anyone else encounter this?

Same thing here. I actually called the local airport (no tower) and the lady said that since I wasn't going very high (I told her I wasn't flying above 250') and was just flying in and around my neighborhood, it wasn't necessary for me to call them every time. I am only about 2 miles from that airport.

Northern edge of SW Washington Regional Airport. Literally the very edge. I walk 300 feet north and I'm in uncontrolled space.

My point with this I guess was to point out the the DJI app still requires you to take action even in what the FAA classifies as "completely uncontrolled" airspace. As an actual commercial ATP rated pilot I don't get my airspace mixed up. This would indicate to me that there is something not right in the app.

My point with this I guess was to point out the the DJI app still requires you to take action even in what the FAA classifies as "completely uncontrolled" airspace. As an actual commercial ATP rated pilot I don't get my airspace mixed up. This would indicate to me that there is something not right in the app.
Yeah. Commercial (and Remote!) pilot here... The problem is DJI's GEO software doesn't really know about airspace. It puts up warnings based on fixed distance from airports, not on whether you're really in Class G vs, say, a Class E Surface Area or D, etc. you should be able to "authorize" yourself despite the warning but I do hope they get smarter about this in future.
My guess is you fall inside an instance of their "Enhanced Warning Zone" as described here: DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

Reactions: Hammer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ