DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Motor Overload - Fix myself or send to DJI?

nom3d

Reactions
I purchased a Mavic on eBay May 7th 2017. Received it May 12th 2017. I did not purchase DJI Care, refresh or any extended warranty. I have never crashed the mavic and always kept it safe in a case. I have probably flown the mavic 20 times since purchase. On June 21st 2017 I went to fly the mavic and got an error on the DJI Go4 app saying "Aircraft Motor Overload". When powering on the mavic, the gimbal would move around and bang into the housing. I contacted DJI support and they had me try refreshing the firware with DJI Assistant, calibrating the IMU, compass and gimbal. Nothing would fix the issue.

Here are a few youtube videos with the exact issue.

DJI Support finally instructed me to submit a repair ticket. In the process it asks my if I have DJI care and let's me know there may be a fee if $65/hr if I decline the quote for repair.

From my research I suspect that the Gimbal Ribbon needs to be replaced and is what is causing the error.

I am wondering if it is better for me to purchase a gimbal ribbon and attempt the repair myself or send it to DJI? I do not want to be charged from DJI or my mavic be held hostage.

Also, has anyone that has replaced their Mavic gimbal ribbon had the issue appear again? Meaning, does the replaced ribbon fail again so easily or are the replacement ribbons higher quality?

Any suggestions on which route to go?

Attachments

• aircraft-motor-overload.jpg
    aircraft-motor-overload.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 43
I'm on my second mavic with the same problem. I suspect replacing it a third time will not resolve this issue. I'm currently testing the start up procedure 90 degrees to the right fix, or inverted, if it's stable I'll keep it. So far its good after a few days.

I'm on my second mavic with the same problem. I suspect replacing it a third time will not resolve this issue. I'm currently testing the start up procedure 90 degrees to the right fix, or inverted, if it's stable I'll keep it. So far its good after a few days.

Did you buy a 2nd mavic or have the original serviced? When you say replacing it, do you mean the gimbal ribbon or the entire mavic?

Did you buy a 2nd mavic or have the original serviced? When you say replacing it, do you mean the gimbal ribbon or the entire mavic?
I replaced the whole unit. I bought it from a UK retailer, or shop. UK law is specific on the contract purchase is with the retailer and not the manufacturer, for a 12 month guaranteed period.

I am wondering if it is better for me to purchase a gimbal ribbon and attempt the repair myself or send it to DJI? I do not want to be charged from DJI.

I am wondering if it is better for me to purchase a gimbal ribbon and attempt the repair myself or send it to DJI? I do not want to be charged from DJI.
It's a spin of the dice , I've done electronics all my life, so I'm confident in swapping out the cable. My only concern is the quality of the new cable I've received.
I've watched many videos of how it's done. Just need alot of patience, and a steady hand.

Just thought I'd post an update on this. I ended up sending the unit to DJI. It only took a few days for them to receive it, and they paid for the shipping. Once they received it, it was about 5-6 days before it was shipped back to me. I'm guessing they just sent me another mavic because the serial number is different. It flys just fine and seems to be ok. There was no information as to what the problem was and it was fixed for free as it was noted as under warranty.

Attachments

• 8-4-20172.30.23 PM.jpg
    8-4-20172.30.23 PM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 23
OK, I'm having the EXACT same issue, and as in the first video posted in this thread, my gimbal does the EXACT same thing. Enter this: I do have Refresh and already had them replace it last August. I believe they only repaired it as I have the same chassis, same serial number, and the gimbal/camera mount needed to be replaced.

However, after only flying about 10 times, I now get this exact same message, and this is obviously a more common issue than just a firmware thing.

I upgraded to the current Firmware 1.04.03, on both RC and aircraft, then downgraded to 1.04.02. Still NO FIX.

They opened a new case for me, but after paying $280 (with refresh and the replacement/repair cost) I'm very not happy and don't care to pay any more for this, just to have it screw up again.

Anyone having any luck fixing this issue yourselves? PLEASE give your input!

OK, I'm having the EXACT same issue, and as in the first video posted in this thread, my gimbal does the EXACT same thing. Enter this: I do have Refresh and already had them replace it last August. I believe they only repaired it as I have the same chassis, same serial number, and the gimbal/camera mount needed to be replaced.

However, after only flying about 10 times, I now get this exact same message, and this is obviously a more common issue than just a firmware thing.

I upgraded to the current Firmware 1.04.03, on both RC and aircraft, then downgraded to 1.04.02. Still NO FIX.

They opened a new case for me, but after paying $280 (with refresh and the replacement/repair cost) I'm very not happy and don't care to pay any more for this, just to have it screw up again.

Anyone having any luck fixing this issue yourselves? PLEASE give your input!
It's the gimbal ribbon cable which has a small life span. I've had many replacements. My opinion is because the ribbon cable has to be folded a few times when installed, it will eventually fail through normal vibration. I got a full refund and got the spark.
Spark is brilliant, but don't update firmware, no issues since purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada