DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Motor Overloaded. Check whether gimbal is obstrcuted

stu gibson

Reactions
Im sure this has been touched on before, but i cant find the thread,
Iv already sent my mavic back for repair for a similar issue, it took two months, any help or info on this would be great, gimbal is not obstructed, it just sits there banging away trying to work it self out, if i start the machine upside down it works for some weird reason, usually get a flight out of it then it wigs out again, when in the air it does some weird movements too, camera will slowy change angle, gimbal level swaying etc,

Reactions: jointeffort
Hello, I have the same notice in my mavic, the gimbal only moves up and down; check it and it is not broken. that so delicate is this damage, someone knows?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mine is currently in for repair for same problem. The cause might be different but there was something causing friction on one of the gimabl's axes. This overworked the motors, heating up the gimbal and worsening the friction. DJI said they couldn't recreate the problem though yet the current status is "Under Repair" Not sure what they're doing to it!

I had an issue early on and DJI had me recalibrate the IMU and the compass. I couldn't see the relationship, but after doing so I was 10 by 10 so . . . probably worth a try.

Reactions: Mr Spock
Im sure this has been touched on before, but i cant find the thread,
Iv already sent my mavic back for repair for a similar issue, it took two months, any help or info on this would be great, gimbal is not obstructed, it just sits there banging away trying to work it self out, if i start the machine upside down it works for some weird reason, usually get a flight out of it then it wigs out again, when in the air it does some weird movements too, camera will slowy change angle, gimbal level swaying etc,

I have the same issue from time to time. Gimbal goes crazy trying to find his place and then the motor overloaded message pop up. After restart sometimes continue working fine. I'm very concern about it though.

Have made all the calibrations.

Well, so things got worst now.

I turned on the Mavic and the camera was behaving very weird moving hard and making loudy noises, when it finished moving, stayed focus on the side turned like 70º. (
)

I tried to do the Gimbal calibration twice and the message of Gimbal motor overloaded showed up. The third time it seems to works but when i flew the aircraft I realised that the image was crooked.

After that i made the IMU and Compass calibration but camera keep without staying steady.

I have the Mavic 15 day ago and i have been flying every day since then without big problems.

Very Very annoying for a $1K product.

It seems there is a big issue with these Mavic´s gimbals as i can see in this forum.

There is any global guaranty of DJI or i have to take it to the distributor here in Chile?

Well, so things got worst now.

I turned on the Mavic and the camera was behaving very weird moving hard and making loudy noises, when it finished moving, stayed focus on the side turned like 70º. (
)

I tried to do the Gimbal calibration twice and the message of Gimbal motor overloaded showed up. The third time it seems to works but when i flew the aircraft I realised that the image was crooked.

After that i made the IMU and Compass calibration but camera keep without staying steady.

I have the Mavic 15 day ago and i have been flying every day since then without big problems.

Very Very annoying for a $1K product.

It seems there is a big issue with these Mavic´s gimbals as i can see in this forum.

There is any global guaranty of DJI or i have to take it to the distributor here in Chile?
See if the initialization continues if you gently rotate the lens itself counterclockwise right after it gets to that position. Not the camera, but the round lens.

Reactions: OmariR
I'm having the same drama. Everything was fine with the Mavic for about a month or so. I flew it 6-7 times and it was fantastic. But today I took it from its DJI pouch (it had the gimbal cover on while in there), went to fly it, and the gimbal went crazy. Flapping about, throwing up the motors-overloaded/gimbal obstructed errors.

Tried to recalibrate gimbal, no luck. Recalibrated IMU, no luck. Tried starting the Mavic upside-down...presto! Gimbal works fine! How ridiculous. It's clearly a design flaw, DJI should have a fix and/or a recall.

Not happy.

Reactions: BogSpores and G284L
See if the initialization continues if you gently rotate the lens itself counterclockwise right after it gets to that position. Not the camera, but the round lens.
wow.. This seems to work. I could initialize and fly it without issues. Do you have more info about this? Why this fixed the problem in the case it comes again. Thanks a lot!

wow.. This seems to work. I could initialize and fly it without issues. Do you have more info about this? Why this fixed the problem in the case it comes again. Thanks a lot!
I noticed when it did this and I just shut it off as I was putting the gimbal clamp back on that instead of being free to turn the lens was stuck a bit. During that startup procedure, the camera and gimbal finds all of the limits. It seems to me there is a flaw in the design so that the lens sometimes goes beyond its normal limit. Once this happens and records that false limit, all bets are off. Just me guessing though. I have a video showing it do this but it's with a filter on.

Reactions: mikeinbox
I noticed when it did this and I just shut it off as I was putting the gimbal clamp back on that instead of being free to turn the lens was stuck a bit. During that startup procedure, the camera and gimbal finds all of the limits. It seems to me there is a flaw in the design so that the lens sometimes goes beyond its normal limit. Once this happens and records that false limit, all bets are off. Just me guessing though. I have a video showing it do this but it's with a filter on.
Makes sense to me. I haven't flight since last time but i will give here if i have some news . Cheers!

I had this problem, very fortunately apple replaced mine no questions asked.
But it's left me wondering, why it happened to my previous Mavic. I hike a lot and have taken it with me in a small dslr satchel within a rucksack. I also keep the plastic dome cover over on during transit. Could it be that the shaking about of the gimbal whilst walking eventually damaged it.

Think it is worth keeping the gimbal support peice on during transit?

Cheers,
Al

Well today I join the ranks of Aircraft Motor Overload - Check whether gimbal is obstructed. Very frustrating. I baby this thing like crazy. I did a very short, uneventful flight yesterday, put it away like normal and today it is useless. I've read up, watched other members videos, tried all that self remedy. An hour later it still doesn't work. I'll start the repair request through DJI now. I've had this thing right at 6 weeks, such a disappointing turn of events. If I had crashed it, dropped it, etc - I would expect catastrophic failure of a component but this is alarming. Seeing the pages of search results with this issue make me hopeful this is being remedied by DJI.

Reactions: BogSpores
Hi everyone,

Seems I have the same issue with my Mavic that you all have .. I tried everything today, turning it on upside down, calibrating the IMU, the compass and gimbal but it's still not working :(

I did a short journey by bike, shaking a bit sometimes but the drone was well protected with the claps on. I tried to fly it yesterday but I had this message "check if gimbal protection is removed" and then it turned to "gimbal overloaded". I have this message now nearly every time I want to fly the Mavic.

It seems that something is touching the gimbal but I checked everything and it seems ok, with no friction. One of you found a solution to this problem ? I'm travelling for a long time and I don't want to give it back to DJI, even for a while ...

Thank you for your help

Been there - tried every trick listed by fellow members and those on YouTube. In the end even DJI just tells you to send it in for repair. I wish there was better news for you, safe travels.

I have the same issue from time to time. Gimbal goes crazy trying to find his place and then the motor overloaded message pop up. After restart sometimes continue working fine. I'm very concern about it though.

Have made all the calibrations.

I had same issue, gimbal goes nuts on startup, clamp warning. Got under a bright light with magnification, and I found what appeared to be a weed seed that was bridging the slot used to actuate top pivot. Cleared obstruction (yes, there was an obstruction, like the warning said) and we are good to go. Might not work for you, but it made my day.

Ok thank you for your answer, I'll try to look for a seed or something otherwise I'll send it to DJI .. :(

Been there - tried every trick listed by fellow members and those on YouTube. In the end even DJI just tells you to send it in for repair. I wish there was better news for you, safe travels.
I had the same problem. try all the tricks that have shared and nothing. Finally the enquiry at DJI warranty and they replaced the gimbal. also I reported in the DJI Dealer that the same has happened to others mavic in the last month. seems to be a fault of DJI. Today i have mi mavic ready to go

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose