DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport Notification Form/Script

TAG

Reactions
Has anyone created a script to use when requesting permission to fly in an airport zone. It might help to make the call short and informative.

It seems every airport has a different way of handling these notifications. But the basic info you are required to provide is: Name/contact/location and time of flight/FAA reg number.

One doesn’t request permission to fly in an airspace. One provides notification of a flight in an airspace. I don’t have a reference for that. Please don’t take my word for it. As you continue your research, I think you will find that it is so.

On the day I am flying this is what I do. I call the tower of the airspace I am about to fly in and the conversation then goes something like this:

Me: This call is to advise of a recreational unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace.
Tower: Just a minute, let me get the form…Where will you be flying?
M: SW of you in BlahBlah Park, in Small City, just within the five mile radius of your location.
T: When will this flight be and what is its duration?
M: Beginning now lasting for the next 2 hours.
T: What is the altitude?
M: 100 feet.
T: How many people and how many aircraft?
M: One of each.
T: What is your name?
M: MavicFlieger.
T: What is a contact phone number.
M: XXX-XXX-XXXX
T: Will you call us when this is complete or do you want this to expire after two hours?
M: Expire after two hours, please.
T: OK. Enjoy your flight.
M: Thank you.

The first time I flew in this spot I called the number in the Hover App indicated for the airport. I was then connected to the airport. I said, “I would like to advise you of an unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace. This is my first time doing this. How should we proceed?” I was connected with a Receptionist, and I repeated my statement. She asked for and I provided my contact information including physical address, and my FAA Registration number. She then gave me the phone number for the tower. I called the tower and, again, said “I would like to advise you of an unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace. This is my first time doing this. How should we proceed?” The dialog then followed pretty much my first described conversation above.

This has been my approach and my experience with one airport and its tower. It has gone quite well and was quite pleasant.

Reactions: Forcecilia and TAG
Thanks MavicFlieger, it gives something to start with.

One doesn’t request permission to fly in an airspace. One provides notification of a flight in an airspace. I don’t have a reference for that. Please don’t take my word for it. As you continue your research, I think you will find that it is so.

On the day I am flying this is what I do. I call the tower of the airspace I am about to fly in and the conversation then goes something like this:

Me: This call is to advise of a recreational unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace.
Tower: Just a minute, let me get the form…Where will you be flying?
M: SW of you in BlahBlah Park, in Small City, just within the five mile radius of your location.
T: When will this flight be and what is its duration?
M: Beginning now lasting for the next 2 hours.
T: What is the altitude?
M: 100 feet.
T: How many people and how many aircraft?
M: One of each.
T: What is your name?
M: MavicFlieger.
T: What is a contact phone number.
M: XXX-XXX-XXXX
T: Will you call us when this is complete or do you want this to expire after two hours?
M: Expire after two hours, please.
T: OK. Enjoy your flight.
M: Thank you.

The first time I flew in this spot I called the number in the Hover App indicated for the airport. I was then connected to the airport. I said, “I would like to advise you of an unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace. This is my first time doing this. How should we proceed?” I was connected with a Receptionist, and I repeated my statement. She asked for and I provided my contact information including physical address, and my FAA Registration number. She then gave me the phone number for the tower. I called the tower and, again, said “I would like to advise you of an unmanned aircraft flight in your airspace. This is my first time doing this. How should we proceed?” The dialog then followed pretty much my first described conversation above.

This has been my approach and my experience with one airport and its tower. It has gone quite well and was quite pleasant.

The above info is only good as a hobbyist; you do not have to ask for permission, only inform the airport that you're flying. However, if for commercial use, or even posting on a social network such as Facebook, it is considered commercial use as Facebook sells ads.
In any commercial use, you must have a Remote Pilot Certification, as per Part 107, and request permission, which can take up to 90 days.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The above info is only good as a hobbyist; you do not have to ask for permission, only inform the airport that you're flying. However, if for commercial use, or even posting on a social network such as Facebook, it is considered commercial use as Facebook sells ads.
In any commercial use, you must have a Remote Pilot Certification, as per Part 107, and request permission, which can take up to 90 days.

Thank you. That's an important clarification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu