DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All my photos show up with max resolution of 960x###!

jams521

Reactions
Hi everyone. I've search for similar issues but haven't seen anything on here, reddit, or google.

The Problem: All of my photos suddenly started having a resolution of only 960x720 (4:3) or 960x540 (16x9). Video remains as I set it on the app (it looks awesome).

History: I got my mavic January 4, updated the firmware, downloaded DJI Go, and charged everything. Flew it January 5-7 and had no issues. Then I tried using the DJI Go 4 app Jan 12 and my photos started being limited to the resolution I stated above. I've flow on several occasions with the same issues: videos look perfect, pictures look terrible and always the same resolution.

Troubleshooting: I tried changing picture modes (single, HDR, etc.), the coloring, and switching between the DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps, with no luck. All the rest of the settings have remained default.

I'll try to upload an example of the two pictures (before and after it stopped working correcting). If I'm missing something in the settings or don't understand how cameras work, then just let me know. Any help is appreciated!

Nevermind about the uploading. I tried uploading one of the bad files and this website wouldn't let me. It said the file extension was .DNG which wasn't supported. Could this be the issue? How do I fix it?

I tried uploading one of the bad files and this website wouldn't let me. It said the file extension was .DNG which wasn't supported. Could this be the issue? How do I fix it?
Just open the file in Photoshop or Lightroom or whatever you normally use and then save a copy as a jpeg. Then upload that.

Thanks, see the attached. The one of the water is the low resolution photo. I don't have a photo editor but found a way to use the windows default program to save it as a jpg. I also noticed that the file size of the low resolution .DNG files have a massive file size (23 MB) while the high resolution jpeg files have a much smaller files size (5 MB). Am I missing something about these .DNG files that I don't know about? Do you have to process them first in order to open them? Is there any resources I can read that might help understanding raw or DNG photo files?

Attachments

• DJI_0077.jpg
    DJI_0077.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DJI_0004.JPG
    DJI_0004.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 54
According to this forum (Phantom 3 Standard - DNG resolution), windows 10 is misreporting the resolution for dng files. I guess I need to convert the raw files to view the images. I forgot I switched from jpeg to raw, so I guess this makes sense. I do think it's strange that both DJI apps (on samsung galexy S6) also misreports the file resolution. Anyone know of a good free dng converter?

Are these resolutions from files you're getting off the micro SD card? Or are these from the app?

According to this forum (Phantom 3 Standard - DNG resolution), windows 10 is misreporting the resolution for dng files. I guess I need to convert the raw files to view the images. I forgot I switched from jpeg to raw, so I guess this makes sense. I do think it's strange that both DJI apps (on samsung galexy S6) also misreports the file resolution. Anyone know of a good free dng converter?
Are you trying to convert to JPG? If so, that can be done from within your editor (i.e Premier)

Hi everyone. I've search for similar issues but haven't seen anything on here, reddit, or google.

The Problem: All of my photos suddenly started having a resolution of only 960x720 (4:3) or 960x540 (16x9). Video remains as I set it on the app (it looks awesome).

History: I got my mavic January 4, updated the firmware, downloaded DJI Go, and charged everything. Flew it January 5-7 and had no issues. Then I tried using the DJI Go 4 app Jan 12 and my photos started being limited to the resolution I stated above. I've flow on several occasions with the same issues: videos look perfect, pictures look terrible and always the same resolution.

Troubleshooting: I tried changing picture modes (single, HDR, etc.), the coloring, and switching between the DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps, with no luck. All the rest of the settings have remained default.

I'll try to upload an example of the two pictures (before and after it stopped working correcting). If I'm missing something in the settings or don't understand how cameras work, then just let me know. Any help is appreciated!

Nevermind about the uploading. I tried uploading one of the bad files and this website wouldn't let me. It said the file extension was .DNG which wasn't supported. Could this be the issue? How do I fix it?

DNG files always seem to be that resolution for me- when I open it in Lightroom, Photoshop or Photomatix, the resulting JPEG is still 4000 x 3000 though. I'm not sure why the DNG registers as so much smaller in resolution, but:

The photo I attached to this post was a DNG with the 960 resolution, and the resulting JPEG doesn't seem to have been negatively affected by it. (Well, it was 3 DNGs- I'd been using AEB for taking pictures and having Photomatix merge them for HDR effects afterwards.)

Attachments

• DJI_0682_3_4.jpg
    DJI_0682_3_4.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 44
the file size of the low resolution .DNG files have a massive file size (23 MB) while the high resolution jpeg files have a much smaller files size (5 MB)

DNG files are equivalent to old film "negatives," in that they are archival quality raw data from the sensor without any lost information. JPG files are equivalent to print-outs of old film photos, in that they are for easy consumption and a loss of finer detail is considered acceptable. The data in JPG is compressed using a "lossy" algorithm that will throw out subtle nuances in order to succinctly describe the basic image contents with fewer bytes; DNG might be compressed but only using lossless methods which can reconstruct the original raw sensor data perfectly, so even if compressed they will be a LOT larger on the storage.

In Windows 10, the real image dimensions of the DNG image are not shown up. Instead, the dimensions of the embedded jpeg picture are shown. To correct this, you should install the original Adobe DFNG codec which can be obtained at Adobe: Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 : Thank You
After the installaion, the DNG size (which is the maximum of 3992x2992 pixels) is shown correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82