DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All the rules worth having the Mavic?

m4v1c

Reactions
I've received my Mavic (first drone ever) a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love; everything was going perfectly until I continued to read more about the FAA regulations, airspace restrictions, national park bans, etc. (eg. I'm based in Seattle and drones are banned in EVERY SINCE PARK!!!) Before today, I've only really flown it over grass fields; however, the more I learned about the tough rules I'm honestly starting to regret spending so much time & money into my drone.

I love the Mavic and totally agree with safety as a priority. However, as a photographer there's so much gray area of where I can or cannot fly...

I guess my questions are:

1) I know NPS banned drones in "national parks", but how about "State Parks" & "National Historic Sites" & "National recreation areas" and so one? I can't find any set in stone rules for these! (eg. for ppl familiar with WA parks: Mt Rainier is a National park; whilst Lake Chelan or Mt Saint Helens are not NPs...soooo can I fly freely if I follow FAA guidelines?)

2) How do you get good shots/vids while following FAA guidelines? I feel so limited and frustrated that I'm considering returning my Mavic, but I've honestly enjoy flying SO MUCH. I want to take it to every hike i go on, but am worried that I'll get fined or even worse...

I know it sounds stupid how frustrated I am about droning, but I've honestly developed such a passion for it now its very difficult for me to not have it on my mind! I appreciate this drone community!!

I you use some common sense while flying then I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about it. Of course there are "no fly" areas and there are apps available to alert you of these locations. Some of them are airports, National Parks (some state & county parks), military installations, etc.

I you use some common sense while flying then I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about it. Of course there are "no fly" areas and there are apps available to alert you of these locations. Some of them are airports, National Parks (some state & county parks), military installations, etc.

Haha I'll try not too, just photography has been such an important hobby of mine and having a drone just takes it to the next level! I think whats stressing me out is how I see so many inspiring drone shots, but feel like I can't achieve them myself ONLY because of all the flying restrictions and ultimately feel kinda helpless. Idk maybe I just need some sleep lol...maybe returning my drone is the best for my health XD

Ya Airmap seem really helpful, but can I rely on it 100% tho since its technically not "FAA" and the B4-u-Fly app has been super buggy and is poorly rated for Android.

On the East coast, grew-up in Oregon. That said, have brought a P3P out there on vacation and took to St Helens. I discussed with one of the rangers who indicated that while she couldn't tell me no to flying, she couldn't allow me to go out past the fences for retrieval should it crash.

Reactions: m4v1c
I'm on the same boat with the OP. However, this is challenge for us to be more creative in getting those awesome shots without breaking any rules or deviating from any guidelines.

I'm on the same boat with the OP. However, this is challenge for us to be more creative in getting those awesome shots without breaking any rules or deviating from any guidelines.
That is very true, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's frustrated. Ahhh im just imagining all the stunning views I wish I could get; hoping these regulations will be more clarified and that it does push us to go beyond our creativity.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

As a professional photographer I can tell you there are just as many rules and regs controlling where you can and can't shoot with a camera... you just haven't run in to them.
Don't worry, just stay out of the red areas and have fun!

But please learn about and follow the rules. They are there to keep you and others safe.
Edited to satisfy the airholes.

Last edited:
As a professional photographer I can tell you there are just as many rules and regs controlling where you can and can't shoot with a camera... you just haven't run in to them.
Don't worry, just stay out of the red areas and have fun!
Awful advice

Reactions: Drone Master
Why? He is getting hung up on the rules. Im not saying to ignore them, but if you fixate on the rules and don't research them and follow along he will put the Mavic away and never fly again.

Haha I'll try not too, just photography has been such an important hobby of mine and having a drone just takes it to the next level! I think whats stressing me out is how I see so many inspiring drone shots, but feel like I can't achieve them myself ONLY because of all the flying restrictions and ultimately feel kinda helpless. Idk maybe I just need some sleep lol...maybe returning my drone is the best for my health XD

Ya Airmap seem really helpful, but can I rely on it 100% tho since its technically not "FAA" and the B4-u-Fly app has been super buggy and is poorly rated for Android.

Don't sweat too much about the rules (not that I am advocating ignoring them). I felt the same way when I started looking at flight restrictions before I got my Mavic, but after doing more reading and research found there are plenty of areas that are open or have varying levels of restrictions.
The rules are there for safety and make sense once you start looking at them. Also the Mavic is so easy to travel with you will start seeing all the places you can fly and get great video.

The rules are born of misguided hysteria. The FAA is a notoriously heavy-handed and Orwellian organization.

Don't be stupid with the drone or hurt anything or anyone and life will go on.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: jointeffort
Yes there are many places to fly and get beautiful footage, but the rules are there for your protection as well as the public safety, and with the sudden influx of new pilots which has grown significantly in the past couple of years (which has been HUGH) the people who are or have been breaking these rules are and have been making it so much harder on the rest of us,,, but thing to remember is if you know these rules they can also work for you! Like the fact a lot of areas may have restrictions of taking off and landing on the area, but you can take off and land off the area fly over and still get your shots with no problem because flying over following FAA rules is ok in most areas, military land is a whole different ball of wax,,,, all I'm saying is get to know the laws and rules and it'll be ok, one thing I've learned is it really helps to print them out so you have verifiable proof!!! Because even law enforcement doesn't know a lot of the laws pertaining to sUAV!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: jointeffort
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair