DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude limit

500 meters above the takeoff point is the max possible altitude.

Yeah, it's set to 122 meters by default but you can change it up to 500 meters "if you dare" lol

In Canada and US it's 300ft (Canada) and 400ft (US) above the nearest obstacle or terrain within the same distance laterally from the drone . . means you can fly 300 or 400ft above anything on the ground within 300-400ft of it. That's pretty reasonable . . just NOT in control zones or near take-off and departure paths. Aircraft rules say pilots shouldn't be below 500ft above any obstacle within 2000ft of the aircraft . . it's higher over cities and built up areas so no conflict if they both play be the rules. . . and yes there are exceptions for helicopters and training areas.

Don’t fly:
closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e. airport, heliport, helipad or seaplane base, etc.)
higher than 90 metres (300 feet) above the ground
closer than 150 metres (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles
in populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows
near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers
within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires
anywhere you may interfere with first responders

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The sea level does not affect the max 500m limit baked into the Phantom's firmware.

Is it not different on the Mavic? If you were 4750m up Everest with your Mavic and launched it, theoretically would it allow you to breach 5000m or would it just be less stable operating on the edge of its limits?

Is it not different on the Mavic? If you were 4750m up Everest with your Mavic and launched it, theoretically would it allow you to breach 5000m or would it just be less stable operating on the edge of its limits?

This is operational ceiling due to air density - nothing to do with agl of 500m from take off position

It's not a hard limit (as far as we know), just an operating spec like temperature.

In Canada and US it's 300ft (Canada) and 400ft (US) above the nearest obstacle or terrain within the same distance laterally from the drone . . means you can fly 300 or 400ft above anything on the ground within 300-400ft of it. That's pretty reasonable . . just NOT in control zones or near take-off and departure paths. Aircraft rules say pilots shouldn't be below 500ft above any obstacle within 2000ft of the aircraft . . it's higher over cities and built up areas so no conflict if they both play be the rules. . . and yes there are exceptions for helicopters and training areas.

Lot's of confusion on this altitude "rule". There is no altitude limit for US hobbyist flights. No FAA or other US legal altitude limit for non-commercial drones under 55 pounds. As per Public Law 112-95 Section 336, the FAA may not make any such rules applying to "model aircraft", and all common recreational drones fall within the definition of "model aircraft" under that law. For commercial drone flights the FAA altitude limit is 400 feet above the ground or above any structure within 400 feet of the drone.

Reactions: Brojon
Lot's of confusion on this altitude "rule". There is no altitude limit for US hobbyist flights. No FAA or other US legal altitude limit for non-commercial drones under 55 pounds. As per Public Law 112-95 Section 336, the FAA may not make any such rules applying to "model aircraft", and all common recreational drones fall within the definition of "model aircraft" under that law. For commercial drone flights the FAA altitude limit is 400 feet above the ground or above any structure within 400 feet of the drone.
Canada now is VERY restrictive to 'recreational" fliers . . and the 400ft rule applies to everyone at all times even near tall structures . . .except under Special Flight Operations Certificates . . . and then only under special conditions. . . but in reality there are no "rules" in Canada technically since they have never published Canadian Air Regs (CARs) yet for UAVs . . so it's all being governed by SFOCs on a case by case basis for commercial ops and some "Interim Orders" for recreational fliers, that were announced by Transport Canada until the CAR's get published . . and looks like we are still months if not a year or more away from those being approved. . . all very uncertain. I expect Canadian commercial fliers will eventually need some sort of license.and recreational sector will remain pretty restrictive unless it really is a very small toy.

Because I live in a Ditch i have to lift up a little higher the 400ftDJI_0005.JPG to get 1/2 mile out without lossing signal

Canada now is VERY restrictive to 'recreational" fliers . .

The OP specifically mentioned the FAA so I think we can safely assume US operation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots