DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always make sure your calibration is correct!

agour

Reactions
If you calibrate your sticks.. make sure the calibration is correct!

My mavic said that everything was fine. On take off, it didn't want to fly up. Turns out the calibration had set up as down, and down as down.

Worth double checking the calibration after, before sending it into the air!

I'm sure many more experienced pilots know that.. but I'm new to this. Though I thought this cautionary tale might help someone avoid the same mistake.

You learn fast. Good advice, and I've been flying for over 25 years.

Did they have RC quads 25 years ago :p It is good advice though!

As an "if it aint broke don't fix it" proponent, I cant help but seeing this as a perfect example of why not to calibrate everything all the time. Granted OP may have had an issue that required it.

Did they have RC quads 25 years ago :p It is good advice though!

As an "if it aint broke don't fix it" proponent, I cant help but seeing this as a perfect example of why not to calibrate everything all the time. Granted OP may have had an issue that required it.
No quads, but RC sailplanes and helicopters, and the same applies for manned aircraft. Take nothing for granted. Flight can be very unforgiving of inattention or neglect.

What I find interesting is that, with the latest technology and all the safety features, the additional complexity can bite us in the rear. Yours is a perfect example.

Last edited:
If you calibrate your sticks.. make sure the calibration is correct!
My mavic said that everything was fine. On take off, it didn't want to fly up. Turns out the calibration had set up as down, and down as down.
Worth double checking the calibration after, before sending it into the air!
I'm sure many more experienced pilots know that.. but I'm new to this. Though I thought this cautionary tale might help someone avoid the same mistake.

Since you say things looked fine, how do you suggest checking? Thanks.

Since you say things looked fine, how do you suggest checking? Thanks.
On the stick calibration screen you can press up, down, etc, and it shows you what direction the controller thinks it is pointing in. (If that makes sense).

So once you have set and saved the calibration, just press the different directions to make sure the controller registers it as correct.

Logger - yeah I know what you mean. It was it's maiden voyage, so I figured I would calibrate every sensor etc before sending it up. I'd only touch them in the future if there were issues

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder