DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I the only one that doesn't use the Gimbal lock/cover?

armoredsaint

Reactions
Even when it's in the Nanuk 920 case, i let it freeball inside - I am never rough with it anyways. maybe if i decided to only throw my case around or ship it, i would definitely use it and only then.

Just keep in mind that the potentiometers on each of the three axis' are VERY easy to damage. At least they were on the phantom series. If they get warped or otherwise become damaged, you will have no visual clue when looking at the gimbal. However, when flying, you'll start to see an ever so slight tremor on the axis that was damaged. IMHO, it's not worth the risk. The damage may be cumulative where one day you start realizing the videos are not as smooth/still as they used to be.

Getting the gimbal lock on the camera is tricky at first. But after some time, you'll get fast. I can get mine on first try, 1 second flat. Initially I wanted to punt the thing.

On an aside, if you do ship the unit, make sure that you put something between the bottom of your case and the dome. If there is any space, and the case is handled roughly, the 'stretch' of the elastic bands on the camera mount will let the camera drop lower and harder than the dome can support - and it (along with the gimbal lock) will pop off - leaving your camera and gimbal in the free balling position.

Reactions: armoredsaint
Even when it's in the Nanuk 920 case, i let it freeball inside - I am never rough with it anyways. maybe if i decided to only throw my case around or ship it, i would definitely use it and only then.
Hind sight is always 20/20

Why wouldn't you use it? It takes about 10 seconds at the most to install... clearly there is a reason they ship with it.

I have thrown more of these crappy OEM DJI gimbal locks in the trash than I can count. Dji cant even get them on correctly occasionally and the drone arrives with a broken roll motor back cover due to improper installation of their own lock.

In addition, if you forget to take the stupid thing off enough times during staryup you'll damage your gimbal. My answer is to buy one like the one I listed below. It's hard to forget to take it off because it's a bright red color too, and it won't damage the back of your camera body like the stock lock will.

Dynamic 3D Solutions

I have never seen, in all the hundreds of mavics and Phantoms that I have repaired, a gimbal damaged because of failure to put on a gimbal lock and letting the camera jiggle around during transport. They have all been damaged because of a crash or because of failure to remove the oem gimbal lock.

Reactions: armoredsaint

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent