DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[AMAZING] How accurate is Mavic's Smart RTH + Precision Landing?

Qoncussion

Reactions
I often fly from an abandoned airport, atop a mountain in Nevada City, CA. On this particular mission, I had flown a total of 12,018 ft., and triggered RTH with the Mavic at a distance of 2,477 ft. from its home point. I rarely use RTH (ok, I never use RTH), but wanted to see how well the precision landing feature performed. About half way into the return flight, I figured I'd start recording video - just in case it got even close to its take-off point. Using an orange landing pad in the middle of a gravel runway gave the Mavic a perfect target. Well, it got close - like 4" close! Color me amazed! It landed with all of its feet inside of the inner white circle of the landing pad, just inches from its original take-off point. Who knew?

View Flight Logs
(disregard the notifications about video cache being full. I had reloaded DJI Go 4, and hadn't reset my cache to a larger size before this flight)

Last edited:
Reactions: stafvh and Jussaguy
By "Smart RTH", I'm assuming you really mean "Precision Landing".

Man, oh man... Where is the love today? :p
I think it is impressive as heck, especially from that far away. Something that I find funny is a post I read where someone bought one of the circular landing pads and it will not land on the side with the printing, just descends and hovers then shows an error message, if he flips it to the blank side no problems, but the official tactical looking side, nope.
Regards,
-d

The first time you see it in action it's absolutely stunning.
The hovering ability and RTH our the first thing I show to friends who want to see the Mavic in action. Overall this is one hell of a flying machine. It really is like owning a piece of technology that is 2-3 years ahead of it's time.

Rob

I personally think it is a couple of years ahead, and that we can thank the well-documented personal animosity between 3DR/GoPro and DJI for DJI throwing open the doors of their R&D toy cupboard. I still marvel at the level of integration. Sometimes I just stare at the gimbal!

It is incredible... I have tested mine a number of times. It works constantly.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed when the Mavic touched down just 4" from its takeoff spot. Very nice.

I often fly from an abandoned airport, atop a mountain in Nevada City, CA. On this particular mission, I had flown a total of 12,018 ft., and triggered RTH with the Mavic at a distance of 2,477 ft. from its home point. I rarely use RTH (ok, I never use RTH), but wanted to see how well the precision landing feature performed. About half way into the return flight, I figured I'd start recording video - just in case it got even close to its take-off point. Using an orange landing pad in the middle of a gravel runway gave the Mavic a perfect target. Well, it got close - like 4" close! Color me amazed! It landed with all of its feet inside of the inner white circle of the landing pad, just inches from its original take-off point. Who knew?

View Flight Logs
(disregard the notifications about video cache being full. I had reloaded DJI Go 4, and hadn't reset my cache to a larger size before this flight)
before yesterday my mavic landed on totally same point wherefrom i was taking off. totally! yesterday i checked the coordinates and i can't belive it. it's a ******' nasa technology [emoji6]

I did the same on Sunday, enable precision landing only took it a couple hundred yards but it was in the air a good twenty minutes, landed within inches and even rotated to face the same way it took off; very impressive.
Regards,
-d.

Amazing area too, Greece I take it from your tag?
exactly, about 30km away from Athens. My edited video is below, downgraded to 1080p but quite compromised regarding quality since I see a lot of glitches and weird artifacts (i.e. @ 1:55sec), maybe selected codec or file type (wmv) has some problems...

exactly, about 30km away from Athens. My edited video is below, downgraded to 1080p but quite compromised regarding quality since I see a lot of glitches and weird artifacts (i.e. @ 1:55sec), maybe selected codec or file type (wmv) has some problems...

nice video with nice music! congrats Hexagon!

in june i will go to cephalonia for holiday. this is my 5th trip to greece, but now i have a mavic... :D

Reactions: Hexagon
nice video with nice music! congrats Hexagon!

in june i will go to cephalonia for holiday. this is my 5th trip to greece, but now i have a mavic... :D
thank you! hope you have a great time in cephalonia! I will keep you posted regarding legislation and drone registration... Italy and Greece drone regulation

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett