DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An easier way to secure the gimbal?

tezdrone

Reactions
The gimbal clamp! Is there a better easier-to-install thing that would keep the gimbal steady for transport?

Every single time I put the clamp on I feel like I'm about to hit something sensitive, and even though I'm pretty sure I do it right (no pressure on it etc), it's still a huge hassle.

What do you pro people do for your gimbal?

I found it's super easy to attach the gimbal lock after taking the time to understand how it should be used. Here's a good how-to video:

Personally I still use the supplied clamp, but like you, feel that it could eventually do damage when being fitted.
Will continue to try and figure out a less invasive clamp, but have my doubts unless I can make up a small airbag design.
Any ideas will be very welcome.

I posted in another area what I do. I didn't like the hard clamp and how finicky it is to install withouth breaking the little tab off the back of the gimbal.
I put a softly wadded up 4x4 inch lint free glasses cleaning cloth into the bubble and then put in on. The cloth acts like a soft pillow and I think that unless you throw the Mavic against a wall, it will hold the camera very nicely.

Reactions: tezdrone and larkin
Personally I still use the supplied clamp, but like you, feel that it could eventually do damage when being fitted.
Will continue to try and figure out a less invasive clamp, but have my doubts unless I can make up a small airbag design.
Any ideas will be very welcome.
That's a great idea, thanks for forwarding it on, I hadn't thought about using the cover.

The cover totally should have been a mold which holds the camera. There wasn't even any reason for it to have been clear plastic, practically.

I totally agree with OP, the clamp is the biggest pain and I've wondered many times what it would have taken to have an electrically engaged "clamp" alternative that deactivates on power on

I actually like the clamp. It allows me to stabilize the lens when installing filters without smearing them with my fingers. I agree though it can be difficult to secure at times

This is the one I use. It is easy to install and easy to remove. When I first got my mavic it arrived with the back plastic piece that the gimbal clamp connects to broken so I had to send it back to DJI. I didn't want that to happen again so I got one of these.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose