DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android person wants stable tablet recommendation (iPad?)

I have the Nvidia Shield K1 and my wife has a Ipad Pro. I find myself swiping her Ipad Pro because it is more stable and the screen rocks.

Reactions: geigy
Does the iPad mini have HDMI out?
I have been looking at a new tablet in order to FPV the Mavic with non DJI goggles via RC USB out to tablet /HDMI out to goggles.
Can anyone see a flaw in this quest or can offer advice?
There are cheap tablets around now with HDMI out which i plan to try.

There is an hdmi adapter Lightning Digital AV Adapter for any iPhone/iPad with the lightning port if this is what you're looking for.

Reactions: Vacation guy
Ipad mini 4 ALL DAY LONG! Get one new on eBay or Craigslist for about $300. Great screen, reduced glare, brightest screen, FAST, fits in controller without an extra mount. 16GB WiFi only version works GREAT. Never a single issue. I used to use the Android Galaxy S7 and got tired of all the issues. iPad Mini4 was the best investment I've made in my Mavic yet.
Do i need to get cellular service on the Ipad mini 4?

OK, I went back to the Apple store and exchanged my iPad mini 4 wifi for a wifi+wireless. Now I have GPS. Thanks to those on this thread who pointed this out. You guys are golden.;)
So you dont have to pay for data plan or cellular service to use maps and follow me...do you? I'm confused about that. I'm going to buy an ipad mini 4 if i dont have to spend more for a cellular service. Thank ou for any clarification.

Do i need to get cellular service on the Ipad mini 4?
You only need cellular service if you want to use features that require Internet access while you're out flying. You could also connect your iPad Mini to a hotspot on a mobile phone (which allows the Internet connection to be shared).

Reactions: Launchpad McQuack
So you dont have to pay for data plan or cellular service to use maps and follow me...do you?
You need a GPS receiver on the mobile device in order to use the Follow Me flight mode. On Apple devices, that means you must have a cellular model. The cellular service does not have to be activated in order to use the GPS receiver.

You'll need an Internet connection in order for the maps to be downloaded. Once downloaded (which caches them locally), you can disconnect your iPad Mini from the Internet and still see/use the maps. Check out this post for more information on caching the maps.

Reactions: Launchpad McQuack
No, you do not need to pay for cellular connection.

I love all the "not giving apple any money" and "apple not allowed in my house" comments. From at least a few that have never tried apple I bet. But Guess what! If you own DJI, you own some apple!

I am a former Android user. converted to apple after I noticed my kids didnt have the issues my android stuff had.
Having to reboot once or twice a week, unstable apps created by who knows who with no certainty that it is maleware free.
I believe the only reason android batteries are removable, so you can unbrick them when they lock up. like we all know they do.

My apple phones and ipads have been powered on continuously for MONTHS, just wake them up and they work perfectly. Never have to hard reset or reboot. And my Mavic loves them because they are powerful enough to do the job.

Reasons, yes. I'm over a barrel, gritting my teeth, and about to plunk down for an iPad. Yuck, but hey, I wanna start doing longer flights without worrying about rebooting in hopes of not losing the whole drone!

Before you buy, research the exact features. The Wifi version of the iPad 4 actually costs more than the Wifi/Cellular version, and they do not have GPS - so some of the DJI Go functions (follow me, change Home during flight) will not work. The larger iPad costs the same, and has longer battery life. So, things like that could lead to buyer's remorse.

I'm heading to the Apple Store later this afternoon and may line Apple's pockets with some of my money earned on Windows and Android software..

<moan>I really dislike this, since I left the Macintosh world, with prejudice, in the 90's - great hardware and software but the company is antithetical to my philosophy of open hardware and software standards. So this really stings, especially because it's just unstable, poorly tested software driving the deal. I'd rather pay more money for a solid Android system, but there appears to be no such thing in the DJI world. I swear Apple should buy DJI and put the Android port out of its misery</moan>
Did you buy tablet today? Which exact one and how's it working?

No, you do not need to pay for cellular connection.

I love all the "not giving apple any money" and "apple not allowed in my house" comments. From at least a few that have never tried apple I bet. But Guess what! If you own DJI, you own some apple!

I am a former Android user. converted to apple after I noticed my kids didnt have the issues my android stuff had.
Having to reboot once or twice a week, unstable apps created by who knows who with no certainty that it is maleware free.
I believe the only reason android batteries are removable, so you can unbrick them when they lock up. like we all know they do.

My apple phones and ipads have been powered on continuously for MONTHS, just wake them up and they work perfectly. Never have to hard reset or reboot. And my Mavic loves them because they are powerful enough to do the job.
What exact model ,size tablet do you use for flying mavic pro?

I use a ipad air 1 wi-fi only when I want a big screen view, BUT that requires a special tablet mount to work because the large tablet does not fit in the controller.
I also use my OLD Iphone 6 a lot because it has GPS,and it is more portable. It is no longer connected to cellular but still works fine.
Then on occasion I use my current Iphone 7 plus. But no good reason to use it over either of the other two.

I have used android since the very first 'droid' phone. but for professional work i use a 9.7" and 10.5" ipad 2 and 4 respectively.

I only use them for drone work, so they are very stable. I do have a nVidia Shield, but i think i like the iPads better, at least for running the DJI app. here's my 2 ipads.

20171108_165713.jpg

Did it cost more money or same price?
Getting wireless would not get you GPS, they both have that. What it does is allow you to cache a map over wireless, populating google maps if you haven't over wifi. the same could be achieved by caching the map while connected to any wifi on google maps, and then going to the destination (including your cell phone hot spot).

none of my tablets have wireless, and they all have maps.

As I know nowt about Ipads, what is the difference between an Ipad mini and an Ipad Air?

what is the difference between an Ipad mini and an Ipad Air?
The main difference is the size. If you want a larger screen, go with the iPad Air or current iPad (which replaced the iPad Air).

Reactions: BikerBuster
I use the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, bought from Banggood for £150 to fly the Mi Drone. Also works fine with the Mavic Air. Never had a problem. Have also used my iPad pro 10" but find it too big and heavy to fly comfortably. I find the brightness on both comparable... i.e. ok if you shade them from direct sunlight!

I use the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, bought from Banggood for £150 to fly the Mi Drone. Also works fine with the Mavic Air. Never had a problem. Have also used my iPad pro 10" but find it too big and heavy to fly comfortably. I find the brightness on both comparable... i.e. ok if you shade them from direct sunlight!
What is the screen size on the Red note?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji