DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android phones and tablets stuck in USB "charging" mode can't select MTP mode!

Mr Spock

Reactions
Is there any way to stop android devices charging when using the controller? I tried changing the USB connection settings and tried USB debug mode but every time i manualy select MTP mode it just reverts at "charging" mode. Everything works fine so there is video and data conactivity with the controller but the phone just drains the controller's battery. I get at around 65 to 50% battery just with one 20min flight.
I tested the following devices:
Samsung S7 edge, S6 edge+, Tab S2, Huawei media pad. Same problem all of them.
Is there something i am missing in the android devices or controller settings?

No, all android devices charge as soon as connected, no choice. MTP would charge as well BTW.

I managed to make my Huawei Mate 8 stop drawing power from USB, but it requires rooting and whether it's possible to disable it and the method to do so are different for every device.

No, all android devices charge as soon as connected, no choice. MTP would charge as well BTW.

I managed to make my Huawei Mate 8 stop drawing power from USB, but it requires rooting and whether it's possible to disable it and the method to do so are different for every device.
How do you do rooting ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Different for each device. Just google "[your device] root". Note that it may void your device's warranty and/or disable features permanently (particularly on Samsung devices).

Reactions: KR FlyingPhotos.ca
When rooted install the app " disable USB charging". You will find it in the Google play store (free)

__

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you root your phone understand the consequences and make sure its worth it for the relatively short amount of time you use your phone for flying compared with normal daily use.

So with rooting u can disable charging for the dji go app only when the phone is connected to the rc?
Is this a bug that DJI has to fix with a controller FW?
What i will do for now is disable fast charging though thats easy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

When rooted install the app " disable USB charging". You will find it in the Google play store (free)
Note that this only works with some devices. It doesn't with either of the 2 I use.

So with rooting u can disable charging for the dji go app only when the phone is connected to the rc?

You MAY be able to disable USB charging altogether, with SOME devices. Nothing specific to the GO app.

Is this a bug that DJI has to fix with a controller FW?
No, it's just how Android phones work. DJI can't do much about it.

Note that this only works with some devices. It doesn't with either of the 2 I use.

You MAY be able to disable USB charging altogether, with SOME devices. Nothing specific to the GO app.

No, it's just how Android phones work. DJI can't do much about it.
Why they (DJI) don't modify the short USB cable by disabling the red wire? Someone suggested i do that.

Because that likely won't work, most phones use it as "something is connected" indication, if you cut the red wire you may never have any connection.

Reactions: Mr Spock
If you swipe down from the top of the screen, you can change the USB configuration. When it's set to charging, you won't be able to connect your mobile device to DJI GO.

If you swipe down from the top of the screen, you can change the USB configuration. When it's set to charging, you won't be able to connect your mobile device to DJI GO.

I tried all the options but still no luck with connection. Switched to my Samsung S6 using the left side connector on the RC and all worked fine.

I tried all the options but still no luck with connection. Switched to my Samsung S6 using the left side connector on the RC and all worked fine.

After trying 3 different USB to micro USB and a lightening cable to an iPad I realized I still had a short micro USB plugged into the top left of my he the RC.
Now all works as normal with any cable.

Is there any way to stop android devices charging when using the controller? I tried changing the USB connection settings and tried USB debug mode but every time i manualy select MTP mode it just reverts at "charging" mode. Everything works fine so there is video and data conactivity with the controller but the phone just drains the controller's battery. I get at around 65 to 50% battery just with one 20min flight.
I tested the following devices:
Samsung S7 edge, S6 edge+, Tab S2, Huawei media pad. Same problem all of them.
Is there something i am missing in the android devices or controller settings?

Make sure you only use one of the two possible phone or tablet connections or the RC full size USB will only charge.

Hi guys,
I was seeking for the resolution of the constant charging of the android phone and draining the RC battery and for me it still charges my S7 Edge if I use the lower USB port from the RC.
I checked all settings in developer mode and went through plenty of YT videos - no solution. On top of that most people say that rooting phone and installing app won't help for my phone.. Is buying and Iphone the only solution? (apart from carrying number of battery banks...)
Thanks!

Isn.t the solution to just fully charge ur phone or tablet before flying, that way it doesn.t try to draw as much charge?

This is what I do. That and put my tablet in airplane mode. I can get through all 3 of my batteries and still have 30-40% left on the contoller.
Thanks Kaiser and King. These two measures - full phone charge to start and Airplane mode - seem like it will be a good workaround, especially with the result metrics you (Kaiser) included. My S7 Edge has been hoovering the controller down to 10% within less than 1/2 hour. And that's sitting in my armchair before my first MP flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada