DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android TV Stick

GekoCH

Reactions
hy

Can someone explain me why the DJI Go App does not start when the controller is connected to an Android TV stick? I tryed the normal USB Port and an USB Host on the Android TV Device....
Is the Android TV Stick Operation system so different from a phone one?

BTW: It's an Ugoos UM3 8Gb

Andy

this has nothing to do with the CPU speed etc. that would be the second step.
But first the Mavic controller needs to be recognized by the Android system which then asks for the correct app (eg. litch, dji go, etc.)

Andy

no problem here two examples:
1. use a 1000nit 8inch lcd screen with the Mavic controller
2. use my hdmi Goggles for flying

do see the possibilities with this :)

andy

Sent from my Pixel using MavicPilots mobile app

I tried my tv stick and it also didn't work at first. Then I disconnected my wireless mouse and suddenly it works. The only problem is that I cannot use the dji go app with the remote controller.

Tomorrow I try a wired moused.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Does your stick appear like a usual android phone when connected to a PC through the "OTG" USB port?
Quite a number of these USB sticks don't actually have a "device" port which is needed for that and for the GO app.

Last edited:
I tried my tv stick and it also didn't work at first. Then I disconnected my wireless mouse and suddenly it works. The only problem is that I cannot use the dji go app with the remote controller.

Tomorrow I try a wired moused.

So what is the name of your tv stick?

Does your stick appear like a usual android phone when connected to a PC through the "OTG" USB port?
Quite a number of these USB sticks don't actually have a "device" port which is needed for that and for the GO app.

Mine does appear as an Android phone (ADB etc. is working)

Andy

What stick are you using? One thing to try is use and auto start up to make DJI go or Litchi to auto start. I'm ordering the one for myself to use my Walkera Goggles 3. You might also try a wireless mouse. I've seen some thumb joystick available so you can have a controller.

Attachments

• 20170729_052158.png
    20170729_052158.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi all,
There are some news in the market since last post. Has anyone tried this stick (or something with similar specs)? :
I am trying to use it with my mavic air and some fpv goggles (echine ev200d). I was very close to buy one dji goggles until I found about 50m distance limit when using them.

Something to realize about those sticks and Android + RC connection in general is that the connection between the RC and the phone/tablet/stick is in whats called "AOA' mode (stands for Android open Accessory"). It is seldom used (the only 2 things i am familiar with, that use it, are DJI RCs and "android auto'). Those cheap generic sticks may not support AOA to begin from, even if according to the Android version they really should. Also, i wouldn't be surprised if many of the sticks don't have a separate USB host, and use OTG instead, with some internal hub providing physical connection to the USB ports on the stick. In this case, the moment you have something hooked up to one of those, you no longer have the USB client capability, in any mode, including AOA.

Good info, thanks. I think I'll find soon if it works, I ordered one, it should be here in one or two weeks.

Reactions: kidroc
Something to realize about those sticks and Android + RC connection in general is that the connection between the RC and the phone/tablet/stick is in whats called "AOA' mode (stands for Android open Accessory"). It is seldom used (the only 2 things i am familiar with, that use it, are DJI RCs and "android auto'). Those cheap generic sticks may not support AOA to begin from, even if according to the Android version they really should. Also, i wouldn't be surprised if many of the sticks don't have a separate USB host, and use OTG instead, with some internal hub providing physical connection to the USB ports on the stick. In this case, the moment you have something hooked up to one of those, you no longer have the USB client capability, in any mode, including AOA.
I think you hit on it. The remote is a host and from the sounds of it, the Stick is also wanting to be a host. A USB host can't talk to a USB host, one of them has to be a device. Since you can connect a mouse, which is a device, then the Stick has to be a host.
In Micro USB, there's 5 pins. Pin 4 is Sense/ID. When that pin is grounded, then the device goes into host mode if it supports it. That's what the OTA cables do.
Now the remote can be a device for charging, and for connecting to a PC to access through Assistant.
This is why DJI chose to use the Micro-A socket instead of the more common Micro-B. The primary purpose of the port is to be a host, or A device.

Please keep us posted. I'm really interested in this..

I received the stick but due to lack of time I was able to play with it only for 10 min. What I observed so far is that I was unable to find 'DJI go' app when I searched for it in play store. I saw other dji apps but not dji go. I will try again in the future and if I have some news, will post them.

It's been showing up in searches now, but when that fails, here's what you do:
Select another DJI published app and view details.
Click on publisher under app title to view all apps published by the publisher.
Fly may be towards the bottom of the list.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929