DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another crash & burn..... but Super-thrilled by TRACKIMO accuracy

Do you use a Trackimo (or equivalent) GPS device to help recovery?

• Yes, and only trust the Trackimo name-brand

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes, but I use a different kind of tracker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I choose to fly without it ... and take the risk!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MavrickOne

Reactions
Yes, I know there are way too many newbies posting "I crashed my drone" threads and honestly, never thought I'd be typing one. But I crashed it hard. Damage beyond repair for sure. Fortunately I bought the DJI Refresh Care -so going to be testing out if it really works as nicely as the Agreement states. I would be curious for any fellow party crasher to post reply on how well, quick, and satisfied you were using this DJI replacement service.

I'm not going to dwell on details of the crash itself. Basically "stupid" piloting. Flying backwards for a dramatic shot and just lost visual and sense of how close it was to reaching limit of open field that I was flying around in. Aircraft at 20-ft up and backed it right into the side of a house.

My real purpose for posting here is to express my Super-Fan attitude about using a Trackimo GPS tracker. Even though I had a decent idea of where in general the aircraft was heading, I quickly realized the improbable likelihood of me finding it by ferreting around alone. When you're in that situation actually hunting for it amidst shrubs, tall weeds, trees and in my case - the backyards of strangers - you quickly get a sickening sense of loss and hopelessness.

Fortunately the Trackimo TRK100 (model TRKM002) and the phone app worked flawlessly. The tracker showed the location being in between two homes. I mean houses spaced maybe 10 feet apart. I tried looking over the backyard fence but felt like a **** peeping-tom. So I went around to the front door and introduced myself to home owner. He was cool about it and said let's check around back. So I walked directly to the side walk between the houses and sure enough - there it was sitting on its backside. Equally impressive to the accuracy and fruitfulness of having the Trackimo unit on the aircraft was how it kept functioning in unbelievable situation. It was knocked off the velcro patch and hit the ground hard enough to knock the rear cover off the battery slot. Thank goodness the battery didn't dislodge and the signal was plenty strong. I mean the device was found in between two planted pot basins about 3 feet away from the aircraft.

Moral of the story: Get yourself a Trackimo before you fly more than 50 ft away or certainly if you fly beyond clear line-of-sight.

If only Trackimo were more reasonably priced ($179 for 3g) and more importantly understood what customer service was I would own one.

got mine for $104 shipped from B&H Photo in New York. but oddly the link to site now doesn't show anything.... hum

How is the Trackimo doing for you? Is the performance ok? Been thinking of buying a GPS tracker.

yes well done, I bought one off amazon and turned out it was 2g and didn't work at all, we have already got in maps with goapp find my drone as well as in litchi which both use google maps, thats worth trying first to see it works.
The mavic is a small drone as was concerned to strap something like this to it and it may also affect signals like gps , but I don't know.
And at $180 its not cheap!
Ive had my mavic since january fly almost every day and not had and near misses, crashes, of glitches as I did with phantoms, I use litchi with vr goggles seems the most logical to me especially with the bright sun here...
Simon in Spain

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 19.42.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 19.42.32.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member