DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another device thread....

thatB00STlife

Reactions
I picked up an iPad mini 2 WiFi only for dirt cheap. Will be here in a few days. Now to my question.

If I use the ipad for the mavic device, and tether my phones internet to the ipad, will it still update the map as I fly? And while I'm tethered to the IPad, could I change my home point in the same manner as I do with my phone being used in the RC?

As long as you have a data connection on your phone then maps will load on the iPad (I tether mine to a Verizon MiFi), however, the wifi-only mini doesn't have internal GPS, so you won't be able to update your home point even if the phone you are tethered to does have GPS

Reactions: BD0G
Does this mean that no home point is ever set if you use a wifi only ipad or ipad mini? I was just about to order a wifi only ipad mini 4. I don't want to pay for a separate data plan just to get a home point. How exactly does this work?

Does this mean that no home point is ever set if you use a wifi only ipad or ipad mini? I was just about to order a wifi only ipad mini 4. I don't want to pay for a separate data plan just to get a home point. How exactly does this work?
The MP sets it homepoint at take off. In flight you can update homepoint to the MP's current position or set it to where you are providing that you have a gps capable device. You can update MP position homepoint but not set homepoint to RC if you do not gps. I fly with a ipad mini 2 wifi only with maps cached and really have found no need to set HP to RC.

So with the exception of setting home point to RC location, there's no difference with the WiFi only ipad when tethering internet to it for maps?

I've been out of the iOS jailbreak scene for a while now, but I remember seeing a tweak that allowed a WiFi only ipad to revive the gps info from the device used as the hotspot. Hopefully the IPad I got can be jailbroken.

So with the exception of setting home point to RC location, there's no difference with the WiFi only ipad when tethering internet to it for maps?

I've been out of the iOS jailbreak scene for a while now, but I remember seeing a tweak that allowed a WiFi only ipad to revive the gps info from the device used as the hotspot. Hopefully the IPad I got can be jailbroken.
That's the only difference that I have seen. I'm not sure of any workarounds. I have an Android phone and use it if I need to roam around and want it to track or change homepoint.

You also won't be able to use the Follow Me flight mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S