DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another idiot helping to ruin our hobby....

I know jet engines are put through their paces, they throw in dead chickens etc to test the engine blades and check what they did here to test the huge engine for the A380. Wow talk about safety test

Reactions: Rabid Machina
It's amazing how little most people understand about what a risk to an aircraft is. It's pretty obvious by the postings here. We had an incident here where a Video cassette tape cartridge (hmm... Just about Mavic size only SMALLER) got dropped into an idling F-16 engine on the tarmac. It trashed the engine. Well, the Chinook has a jet turbine engine(s) too. A Mavick getting sucked into the compressor of that turbine could MOST CERTAINLY destroy that engine instantly.
Don't dismiss the threat of our little baby Mavics to an aircraft! Small, soft bodied birds have ruined engines mid-air.

Maybe, that's why they have FOD walks, but then again the F16 wasn't flying so it didn't actually bring it down - which seems to be the theme of this thread -. But its highly lightly if they knew something had been injested, then as a mater of course it would have been shut down and inspected , although I find it hard to believe a plastic cassette tape 'trashed' a complete engine to the point it was trash.
But I wasn't there so who knows.

Luckily this Chinook was build of stronger stuff than that F16 or the Chinook were talking about here

What's So Special About This RAF Chinook? | Fighter Sweep

Although after 30 + years of surviving war zones, who knows maybe it will finally meet its end at the hand of someone armed with no more than a mavic drone - or maybe even a plastic video cassette ;-) :)

Mavics are limited to 1,640 feet and it says they were flying at 2,100 feet explain that to me

Reactions: geigy
Mavics are limited to 1,640 feet and it says they were flying at 2,100 feet explain that to me
Another UFO blaming consumer drones...they have to blame something, forget about it being a phenomena better known as UFO or UAP's which exist 100 percent by the way. So powers to be will use drones now as an excuse..In 2002 a cesna was torn apart in midair collided with something , no planes on radar etc...killed the pilot..NTSB blamed pilot error but their were plane parts scattered in quarter mile radius and pilot was 1/2 half mile away in swamp. So I would be more nervous as a pilot encountering UAP colliding with a plane than a 1.5 lb drone , also another bit of real stats, 2000 bird strikes in Canada last year and not one plane taken down...some of these birds are 20 lb geese...so there you go..Bottom line no pilot wants to collide with anything while flying their plane, I get it...but the hype against drone industry over heated for no reason at all..

Reactions: Mavman
Maybe, that's why they have FOD walks, but then again the F16 wasn't flying so it didn't actually bring it down - which seems to be the theme of this thread -. But its highly lightly if they knew something had been injested, then as a mater of course it would have been shut down and inspected , although I find it hard to believe a plastic cassette tape 'trashed' a complete engine to the point it was trash.
But I wasn't there so who knows.

Luckily this Chinook was build of stronger stuff than that F16 or the Chinook were talking about here

What's So Special About This RAF Chinook? | Fighter Sweep

Although after 30 + years of surviving war zones, who knows maybe it will finally meet its end at the hand of someone armed with no more than a mavic drone - or maybe even a plastic video cassette ;-) :)
The whole point is, a small plastic device caused a jet engine to pretty much destroy itself because of broken compressor blades, and nearly instantly too. Had that F-16 engine been airborne when it ingested that plastic cassette, it would have been an aircraft lost and perhaps a pilot and people on the ground killed (Low altitude elections have a high failure rate. ). Anyway, I just hate seeing anyone poo-poo the threat of a drone against an airborne aircraft. It's serious and potentially very deadly.

The whole point is, a small plastic device caused a jet engine to pretty much destroy itself because of broken compressor blades, and nearly instantly too. Had that F-16 engine been airborne when it ingested that plastic cassette, it would have been an aircraft lost and perhaps a pilot and people on the ground killed (Low altitude elections have a high failure rate. ). Anyway, I just hate seeing anyone poo-poo the threat of a drone against an airborne aircraft. It's serious and potentially very deadly.

As a FAA licensed pilot and instructor, I can state you are so correct. For example, a collision with a drone can easily damage or break off a pitot tube, which would disable the airspeed indicator. In certain airplanes, particularly highly automated cockpits, that could easily end in catastrophe.
Doubt me? Look at Air France 447.

I'm sure it was the metal pins inside the cassette that destroyed that engine. I'm not down playing the inherent danger it poses, but you are comparing two very different platforms as if though they are the same in an airborne scenario. Not to mention the unique physics each craft has. Logically there was no immediate danger, since the article states the pilot saw the 1-meter wide drone that supposedly looked like a mavic at a very close distance and was able to commence evasive maneuvers and still catch a glimpse of it as they flew by.
The lawn dart of an F-16 you are comparing it to would have smashed into the mavic ingesting it into its poor single engine design causing a catastrophic scenario.
Yes the Chinook has intake screens since it is inherently designed to carry troops and cargo into a multitude of environments where debris can be agitated and flung upward toward the engines. They are designed that way. The windscreen is thick enough to deflect small arms fire so a head on collision would prove futile even with a drone of the described size. I as a structures mechanic would be pissed because I have to fix it but it is capable of handling something as small as a meter wide drone. please stop comparing apples to oranges.

That being said, and I stated before safety is paramount and it could have been another type of aircraft, but it wasn't. Deal with the cards that were dealt and stop blowing this out of proportion. You are delving into hypothetical situations to fuel your argument. This isn't statistics were you can manipulate information to suite your needs.

Again I apologize for coming across as hostile. The horse has been dead for a while now, we can quit beating it at this point.

Reactions: Static8
As a FAA licensed pilot and instructor, I can state you are so correct. For example, a collision with a drone can easily damage or break off a pitot tube, which would disable the airspeed indicator. In certain airplanes, particularly highly automated cockpits, that could easily end in catastrophe.
Doubt me? Look at Air France 447.
Most military aircraft have a pitot and airspeed indication probes. So, to be clear 2 probes. Some are equipped as one unit.

Uk drone pilot flying in path of RAF Chinook on approach to base.

Now although this is reported in the mail online which is a rag that I detest for their lack of ability to report the facts correctly the same story was also in the Telegraph which is a more reputable paper...

Drone almost downs £60m Chinook helicopter | Daily Mail Online

£60m RAF Chinook helicopter in near miss with drone as pilot says collision could have downed aircraft

bird strike, drone strike, a chinook is a heli and would have blown the drone to who knows where with the prop wash. nuff said

That drone is a danger to Chinook like a fly to the windshield...
Not true... If a drone was to be taken into the jet turbine engine, that would take the Chinook down. I have spent 2 years around that aircraft and have seen them dissassembled. No question that a drone in the intake would bring it down, just like a bird strike on a jet liner!

Not true... If a drone was to be taken into the jet turbine engine, that would take the Chinook down. I have spent 2 years around that aircraft and have seen them dissassembled. No question that a drone in the intake would bring it down, just like a bird strike on a jet liner!
One bird may not take down a jet liner..but it's not good especially on take off

It said it was flying at 138 mph I believe so it was at an angle, meaning the drone had to go through the spinning blades to get to the intake

Chinooks are very agile for their size . I use to watch them practice just outside of fort rucker when I was growing up . I did see one go down when something got blown up from the ground and injested into the engine once . All aircraft are extremely vunerable when close to the ground . people blowing off the danger of a drone in a aircrafts flight path truly show a lack of maturity .

First of all that's not a "Chinook" despite the name of the video . . it's a European twin rotor "something or other" flown by the Swedes . . that said . . .1lb drone kinetic energy is not the threat . . idiots who fly them with impunity . . are.

Actually I wasn't misdirecting my 'anger'... just pointing out that anyone who flies a drone in a flight path to a Royal Air Force base IS an idiot, not only for putting people at risk but for once again demonstrating the need for regulation. It's highly unlikely an RAF pilot just made this up for kicks because he has a dislike of drone pilots - yes all papers exaggerate, get their facts wrong and scaremonger the public....that's what sells papers but this story clearly wasn't without some facts backing it up. Disappointing to see so many people on here with the poor attitude of 'as if a drone could take down a helicopter' - talk about missing the point.
Pilots make mistakes all the time, even RAF pilots. The more I look at this article, the more I'm convinced that what the pilot saw (for a split second) was a Common Buzzard. When I've been out and about flying my Mavic, I've often seen Common Buzzards flying way up there on the thermals. They can easily glide up to several thousand feet in altitude. Makes the 400ft altitude limit for drone here in the UK a complete joke. The UK Common Buzzard is a fairly large bird of prey (bigger and heavier than a Mavic) and has no respect for airspace whatsoever!

As a Certified FAA pilot with instrument and ground Instructor ratings, I can say with certantity that many of you on this thread have no idea what you are talking about. It does not matter if it was Mavic, Phantom or other drone, it still posed a danger to the other aircraft and crew.
I fly in Southern California (based at KSNA), the busiest airspace in the world and the greatest fear of my fellow general aviation pilots is not a mid-air collision with another aircraft, but an encounter with a drone flown by somebody who just walked out of Best Buy and now thinks he is an aviator. No, getting a medical certificate, going to flight school, passing a knowledge test and subsequent checkride with a FAA pilot examiner makes you an aviator.
Just follow the rules, use common sense and there is plenty of room for all of us in the sky. If you want to learn more about FAA/ICAO regulations and real aviation, join AOPA and take some of their ground study courses. They welcome the opportunity to educate drone operators, making it safer and more enjoyable for all of us.

As a fellow GA certified pilot, I agree 100%. It takes study and time to learn what being a pilot is all about.

It would if it got into a turbo intake - chunk of metal headsink in addition to the lithium battery and the plastic. Not everyone flies with screens over the intakes.

Speaking of fear, as someone else said, we are afraid of DJI and lawmakers, and the general public are afraid of us. Fear, fear, fear...
I've been trying to figure out when and how they removed people's backbone.
The lot we have today would have never sailed the seas and conquered new lands.
They aren't even trusted to protect themselves.

First of all that's not a "Chinook" despite the name of the video . . it's a European twin rotor "something or other" flown by the Swedes . . that said . . .1lb drone kinetic energy is not the threat . . idiots who fly them with impunity . . are.
CH-46 have been around for a while as well, but are equally as agile as its counterpart.

I've been trying to figure out when and how they removed people's backbone.
The lot we have today would have never sailed the seas and conquered new lands.
They aren't even trusted to protect themselves.
WELL SAID!!

I think everyone is over reacting to all these reported violations of nfz's Are all these incidents confirmed or just propaganda. I think in the end drones won't be banned or outlawed. The benefits are to great. We may be required to get a license or register our drones.

Relax everyone, take a chill pill. By discussing these issues such as you do with everyone getting fired up does as much to cause our adversaries to try to pass restrictions as the incidents themselves.

Better read the manual again. Its ceiling is 16,400 feet, If it is below 1600 feet many areas in around the world would not be able to fly it. I have flown my at a AGL starting at 2100 ft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ