DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Mavic lost failed to RTH

Smoke Life

Reactions
Lost my Mavic on 3-1. I always fly in this area over the river. On this day I took the 1st battery for a mile run then switched to a fresh battery. After doing fly around I did a fly away shot while gaining altitude noticed she was drifting to my left. Took off with GPS and plenty satellite. When i decided to return she was 1/4mile over water and not responding. After precious battery life what seemed forever. I hit the rth button .RC was beeping but dont recall if it sad going home and from the looks of it the numbers wasn't getting closer. While she just hovered in one spot she didn't respond until it hit the critical battery warning. Seconds later she was LANDING. All I could do was go up and forward on the sticks making a Bline to shore doing so I stopped recording to save battery. From the tablet visual she landed right on the wet rocks about 10 blocks away I tracked it standing in the very same spot according to maps. But never found it The location is very secluded. Highly unlikely someone seen it crashed and picked it up before I got there. Im thinking it went in the water 5 feet from where i stood because camera make things seem closer than they really are.
lost-mavic-png.8372
This is a river where you have current BUT on this record breaking temp day with just a slight breeze and low/slack tide and muddy bottom .I drove home to return with waders and a rake. I called DJI file a claim sent them all the info. Now awaiting DJI decision. Heres a pic of my flight log.

Update now 3-12 and still waiting on DJI decision whether pilot error or software.

Ugh, condolences.
Couple ?'s if you don't mind. Which tablet were you using? Was the home point set to where the MP took off or to the RC?

Either way, good luck on getting a replacement.

Reactions: SussexBedouin
So she wasnt responding to the app or controller? Never rely on the app. I got a useful tip 3 days ago on here that saved my drone when my app crashed. They said take the remote and look at the distance. Move the drone around till you see the distance rapidly decrease meaning its heading back to you.

Did you take a look at your TXT flight log to see if it shows where your Mavic landed? If not, you can upload and view your TXT flight log here.

Upload the text file. The experts will figure out where it is and what happened

Ugh, condolences.
Couple ?'s if you don't mind. Which tablet were you using? Was the home point set to where the MP took off or to the RC?

Either way, good luck on getting a replacement.

Samsung tab 4 Home point was from MP took off yes Which is only 2 feet where I was standing with RC.

So she wasnt responding to the app or controller? Never rely on the app. I got a useful tip 3 days ago on here that saved my drone when my app crashed. They said take the remote and look at the distance. Move the drone around till you see the distance rapidly decrease meaning its heading back to you.

Your absolutely right. I know what your referring. In my case Mavic was not responding to any commands auto/manual just hovered. Ive only experience app freezing that say "disconnected" or taking me back to main screen or from hitting plug. I had a live visual on the tablet I know this because i was able to tilt gimbal. Something weird was going on up there and i couldn't figure it out. She snapped out of it when reaching critical.

Reactions: knownbug
Your absolutely right. I know what your referring. In my case Mavic was not responding to any commands auto/manual just hovered. Ive only experience app freezing that say "disconnected" or taking me back to main screen or from hitting plug. I had a live visual on the tablet I know this because i was able to tilt gimbal. Something weird was going on up there and i couldn't figure it out. She snapped out of it when reaching critical.
If you don't upload your flight log, we can't tell you what really happened, and whether or not DJI will help you out here. If you choose not to upload, I will more likely believe you made a mistake during your flight that resulted in this outcome.

Let me guess....you're not responding to down loading your txt file because you don't know how to, yet. Is this the case? With that file we can help you.

Let me guess....you're not responding to down loading your txt file because you don't know how to, yet. Is this the case? With that file we can help you.
I think he knows how to, otherwise the screenshot with the flight path of the drone wouldn't have been possible. He clearly had the log parsed somewhere.

All these post are scaring the crap out of me. I never had a problem like that with my p3 and my Mavic isn't here yet.
Don't worry too much about. Most of these cases about the Mavic flying away tend to be pilot error, or not knowing what to do if the drone unexpectedly switches to Atti mode if the GPS fails. I have only ever seen one report on this forum so far where the drone truly went out of control and aggressively crashed and one where the drone just stopped responding entirely despite receiving commands, that wasn't pilot error, or a failure to handle the drone in Atti mode.

If you don't upload your flight log, we can't tell you what really happened, and whether or not DJI will help you out here. If you choose not to upload, I will more likely believe you made a mistake during your flight that resulted in this outcome.

I uploaded flight log to the clouds When i called they said they have the info. Is that what your referring to?

All these post are scaring the crap out of me. I never had a problem like that with my p3 and my Mavic isn't here yet.

Don't let this bother you. This is a result of not going over everything prior to ever putting the aircraft in the air. Without looking at any data we're left with speculation. In that case I would guess that he unknowingly touched the upper left corner of the screen and took the app offline. Or, my other guess would have to do with not calibrating the remote controller from the app itself. And one actual fact is, he never setup the failsafe option that comes into play when connections become lost. The option allows you to set the aircraft to either Land, Hover, or Return To Home. The default setting is set to Land.

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem. I'm shocked I have heard of uncommanded fly aways and consequently losing your machine. Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?

Reactions: jswinkos
I uploaded flight log to the clouds When i called they said they have the info. Is that what your referring to?

You have a txt file located in the device used to host the app. (smartphone, tablet, ipad?) It's in DJI/FlightRecord. The link in post #4 has info to access the file as well.

Lost my Mavic on 3-1. I always fly in this area over the river. On this day I took the 1st battery for a mile run then switched to a fresh battery. After doing fly around I did a fly away shot while gaining altitude noticed she was drifting to my left. Took off with GPS and plenty satellite. When i decided to return she was 1/4mile over water and not responding. After precious battery life what seemed forever. I hit the rth button .RC was beeping but dont recall if it sad going home and from the looks of it the numbers wasn't getting closer. While she just hovered in one spot she didn't respond until it hit the critical battery warning. Seconds later she was LANDING. All I could do was go up and forward on the sticks making a Bline to shore doing so I stopped recording to save battery. From the tablet visual she landed right on the wet rocks about 10 blocks away I tracked it standing in the very same spot according to maps. But never found it The location is very secluded. Highly unlikely someone seen it crashed and picked it up before I got there. Im thinking it went in the water 5 feet from where i stood because camera make things seem closer than they really are.
lost-mavic-png.8372
This is a river where you have current BUT on this record breaking temp day with just a slight breeze and low/slack tide and muddy bottom .I drove home to return with waders and a rake. I called DJI file a claim sent them all the info. Now awaiting DJI decision. Heres a pic of my flight log.

Update now 3-12 and still waiting on DJI decision whether pilot error or software.

Sad to hear buddy, now I know you mentioned there was a slight breeze which might not have been strong enough to stop the mavic from returning. Would be intresting to see the battery reading, you might have passed the PNR and didnt noticed it. Still weird that it stayed hovering on its same place.

I think he knows how to, otherwise the screenshot with the flight path of the drone wouldn't have been possible. He clearly had the log parsed somewhere.

I have a feeling you don't know how to access the TXT file either based on the quoted post above.

Reactions: stratos
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143