DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Tablet Holder (Home Made)

JtrJr

Reactions
Some of you may have seen (some time ago) the set-up I made so I can swap pads (iOS and Android) between my P2 and P3Pro controllers. In light of not seeing anything that I thought would work yet (I'm sure there will be plenty, in good time) I decided to see about making my own that could work with my P2, P3Pro and Mavic. When I'm traveling light and on my motorcycles, I'll probably just use a phone (Moto X Pure or iPhone 6) but when I'm at home or traveling around in my car or truck I may want to use one of my pads (Galaxy S2, Nvidia Shield or iPad mini 2). Well here's what I came up with for now.

First, I bought one of that works but covers the RC. Then I used it to make my own. I can use all of my pads and it keeps the antenna's clear. Here's some pics.

Jerry

TabHolder02.JPG TabHolder03.JPG TabHolder05.JPG TabHolder06.JPG TabHolder07.JPG TabHolder08.JPG TabHolder09.JPG TabHolder10.JPG TabHolder11.JPG TabHolder12.JPG

Thanks, Ron. It works pretty well and doesn't feel bad in my hands either.

Jerry

James,

No, I bought the mounting plate on ebay. Anyone could make a blank plate out of plastic or wood, it'd be pretty easy.

Jerry

Joel,

I'm not sure what you want a link to? I just made this out of some RAM parts I had from my motorcycles as well. I'm not selling these, I just thought I'd share the idea with you guys.

Jerry

I do have one last question. What's the ram mount item number of the piece that you have connected to your the tablet holder in your 4th pic?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Joel,

It's not really a particular part. I just took a ball and a stud (like in the second pic) I ran the stud into the ball and cut it down so it would fit all the way up into the slot on the back of the DJI holder. I then marked where the pin would go through the stud and ground out enough of the stud for the pin to push through. Be careful when you grind that out, the pin needs to be pretty tight otherwise the holder will move from side to side when the tablet is in there. You don't want any slop between the stud and pin at all.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I think I'm just going to buy this ram base. Since i already have an x-grip mount for my ipad mini and a ton of ram arms already... i think the base is all i'll need to create something similar to yours (as long as the base fits in the rc holder arms). Thanks for your posting... very helpful and thorough.

Some of you may have seen (some time ago) the set-up I made so I can swap pads (iOS and Android) between my P2 and P3Pro controllers. In light of not seeing anything that I thought would work yet (I'm sure there will be plenty, in good time) I decided to see about making my own that could work with my P2, P3Pro and Mavic. When I'm traveling light and on my motorcycles, I'll probably just use a phone (Moto X Pure or iPhone 6) but when I'm at home or traveling around in my car or truck I may want to use one of my pads (Galaxy S2, Nvidia Shield or iPad mini 2). Well here's what I came up with for now.

First, I bought one of that works but covers the RC. Then I used it to make my own. I can use all of my pads and it keeps the antenna's clear. Here's some pics.

Jerry

View attachment 1942 View attachment 1943 View attachment 1945 View attachment 1946 View attachment 1947 View attachment 1948 View attachment 1949 View attachment 1950 View attachment 1951 View attachment 1952

Very nice job customizing our design. Looks great. Thumbswayup
5a933f_39c5dbb876e3493fb6a931e39e2aed03.jpg

Dynamic 3D Solutions

Reactions: JtrJr
If you did make the mounting plate, you should flip one of the dji logos so that at least one of them will be facing the correct way when in use. That said, I'd be interested in one too. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

We have since revised our design just a little. One logo was flipped & plate was squared up.

20161203_203637.jpg
20161203_185500.jpg 20161203_182828.jpg

We also offer a more portable version that folds up into the device holder.

20161030_195729.jpg

Both versions can be use if front or below the controller simply by turning it around.

5a933f_39c5dbb876e3493fb6a931e39e2aed03.jpg

Dynamic 3D Solutions

Jerry

View attachment 1942 View attachment 1943 View attachment 1945 View attachment 1946 View attachment 1947 View attachment 1948 View attachment 1949 View attachment 1950 View attachment 1951 View attachment 1952

7" tablets like the iPad Mini 2 will fit in the existing holder, but aside from that I like the design. How does it feel for balance with a full size tab on there, do you think it will give wrist strain with prolonged use?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Heavens,

Yeah, my Galaxy Tab S2 fits the existing holder just fine but my Nvidia Shield doesn't and none of my tablets will with a case on. I've also become accustomed to my devices being in front of the controller and I'll continue to fly my other birds so it just "feels" right. It actually feels really good in my hands, I don't think it'll cause any strain. It feels more "normal" to me thus way.

Don't get me wrong, I bought the Mavic for the convenient setup and it's portability so I won't be using the tablets when I'm traveling "light" (especially with my motorcycles) but when I'm around home or in the same place for extended periods of time with my car or truck the tablets are a lot easier on my old eyes!

Jerry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3