DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another video quality moan thread

*BF*

Reactions
Hello,

The following grab is an ungraded export from Premiere Pro.
Can I assume this blockiness in the shadows is as good as we are gonna get from this little camera?
This was 4k. D-Cinelike (-2,-1,-1)
Ive read shooting at 2.7k might be the best way forward but any other tips much appreciated.
This footage is upgradable.
Any colour correction magnifies the issue.

for the untrained eye, can you tell us what we are supposed to be looking for? What blockiness in the shadows?

If you look in the shadows, there are square artefacts - ok maybe i am being a little precious, but actually an iPhone camera is better than this.

OK, so I zoomed in the shadows and I'm still not sure what I'm looking for.
Again, I have an untrained eye and would be nice to learn these things

Attachments

• square artifacts.JPG
    square artifacts.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: scubari
OK, so I zoomed in the shadows and I'm still not sure what I'm looking for.
Again, I have an untrained eye and would be nice to learn these things
Its basically an unwanted noise - or lack of resolution.
Here's two shots from the same flight.
This time i colour corrected them a little - it highlights the problem better.
There's the full frame...
Then the zoomed in same - representing 100% on my monitor.
In this you can see odd blocks that are basically bad compression (i think)
And the problem is that these blocks jump around every frame.

I think i am doing a really bad explanation of why things are happening, but I hope at least you can see what the problem is.

I know I cant expect the earth on this little drone, but I expected more.
I also suspect that there are tips & tricks out there to get the most out of this little camera, and am on a journey to find out what these are!

I took the color out and brighten the image since I pretty much couldnt see anything on your shot (shows how untrained my eye is)
And this is what i see, indeed some blocks in the shadows.
Is this what I'm supposed to be looking for?

When you find those tips on how to make things better, let us know :)

Attachments

• square artifacts2.JPG
    square artifacts2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 51
Have you tried 2.7K? It seems to be a sweet spot between resolution and compression. Check out this video:

Reactions: *BF*
And have you tried taking a picture from the drone rather than capturing a still from video?

And have you tried taking a picture from the drone rather than capturing a still from video?
I'm only really interested in this as a video tool.
Seen some nice pictures taken by others though.

This is what I'm going to try next chance, but would be tempted to have contrast and saturation at -2 and -1
Under-exposing does not look good with this camera because it tends to crush the blacks to start with.
Have the histogram up to help you avoid it, and if you want it darker adjust later.

Reactions: erikgraham
This is what I'm going to try next chance, but would be tempted to have contrast and saturation at -2 and -1
Under-exposing does not look good with this camera because it tends to crush the blacks to start with.
Have the histogram up to help you avoid it, and if you want it darker adjust later.

Yeah - i understand, but i over exposed and that can be just as damaging. I lost a lot of highlights. Im beginning to think actually a 'baked in' look is going to be the best option for this crappy camera. Id be ok with a REC709 look for the majority of my requirements. More testing - onwards & upwards!

The compression artefacts in the Mavic are much more pronounced than in the Phantom 4. The sharpness in the center of the frame is really nice, but unfortunately gets gradually worse towards the edges of the frame. The outer 20% is pretty awful, definitely in the cheap cell phone camera territory.

I guess it is OK, as the Mavic is mainly an amateur segment drone with portability as the main selling point, and where the image quality is secondary. If you are striving for semi-pro or even pro level IQ, you should consider the P4 Pro or the Inspire range.

Last edited:
DJI have added the same profiles as on their other cameras, but this one simply doesn't have the dynamic range to satisfy the flatter ones like the others do. Yes Cinelike lifts shadows, but as you see there isn't much to gain from it. Take it as an opportunity to fine tune the shadow crushing to your preferred balance...

Yeah - all good advice. I want the earth!!

I'd love to see a gimble/camera upgrade option for the future.
Its the portability & size of the Mavic that was #1 priority for me

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60