DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Canucks just saying "**** it" to the new interim order?

phaeton

Reactions
Here's me driving home and this amazing sunset in the sky. I was very tempted to get my bird out and launch it out of the backyard to capture the amazing sight, but hands are tied with the new interim order. I was close to saying **** it, because after all, this is what I bought the bird for (filming amazing scenes that don't involve driving 1/2 hour to get outside of the city and fly over some farmer's field).

Anyhow, venting over. Just curious that since a couple of months have past, any fellow canucks deciding just to go ahead and fly responsibly but not being a stickler for the new I.O.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take Off Eh ! (Remember Bob & Doug Mckenzie)

I am certainly adhering to the new Laws as they are set fourth by our jaded government.

That beautiful sunset can be assessed anywhere while adhering to the laws.

I fly out in the country where there are not any NFZ and those pesky things called humans o_O

Please do post any pictures of that nice sunset .

Canadian I.O. Information :
Drone Safety - Transport Canada

Stay safe dude .

Fight fight fight for your UAV freedom my brothers to the north. I always thought Canada was reasonable in regards to rules and regs. Guess not. Like I say down here in the lower 48. Swollow it or fight for your right to fly in reason or become the outlaw.

Can you fly in your own back yard? Or is it like the old days of weed. You are safe behind your closed doors.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Fight fight fight for your UAV freedom my brothers to the north. I always thought Canada was reasonable in regards to rules and regs. Guess not. Like I say down here in the lower 48. Swollow it or fight for your right to fly in reason or become the outlaw.

Can you fly in your own back yard? Or is it like the old days of weed. You are safe behind your closed doors.

Good day , unfortunately where I reside which is one of the larger cities. The entire city is a NFZ with many landing strips , airports and helipads. So flight in my own back yard is not worth the time unless I want to hover over my patio.

So yes it pretty much is like the days of old for weed until July 1, 2018. When Canada will be legalized . I fear smoking weed in your own backyard will be easier than flying our birds , that's unless they create a NSWZ. " no smoke weed zone's" and yes they will :cool:

Reactions: Slayerstwin
I'm sure your right about that. I read about all this restriction **** and it just pisses me off. Hell I know there are jerks out there who will do stupid ****. There always has been and always will. Hope you guys can get it together and gain back some freedom.

Can't you fly in these areas to an altitude of say 400ft or is it strictly no fly period, no discussion or exception

Can't you fly in these areas to an altitude of say 400ft or is it strictly no fly period, no discussion or exception

The Kanuck Rules -

Canadian
Rules for recreational drones
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g (
0.551 pound )
and up to 35 kg,( 77.162 pounds ) you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

Follow the basic safety rules below. Not doing so may put lives, aircraft and property at risk. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow any of the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000. ( $2190.10074 USD Approximate)

Do not fly your drone:
  • higher than 90 m above the ground ( 295 feet 3.307 inches )
  • closer than 75 m ( 246 feet 0.756 inch ) from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
  • closer than nine km ( 5.592 miles ) from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  • within controlled or restricted airspace
  • within nine km ( 5.592 miles ) of a forest fire
  • where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • at night or in clouds
  • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  • if you are not within 500 m ( 1640 feet 5.039 inches ) of your drone
  • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.
:rolleyes:

Okay so it's not impossible. What about airports and such. Here in us it would seem we can fly within the 5 mile mark but need to notify the tower and remain below 400 feet agl

Okay so it's limited but I believe reasonable. I think 400 ft agl is something I can live with.

I live right on the edge of the 5 mile limit of a air national guard airbase. These guys practice take off and landings all the time between 6 and 9 pm. Many times there altitude is about 1000 to 2000 ft I'm guessing. When there up, I'm not. Plan and simple. They don't need to worry about me and I don't want the police knocking on my door.

Last edited:
Yeah, up until March it was basically Transport Canada suggesting how drone operators should fly. Now, this interim order has the pendulum swing the other way to full clamp down and drone operators are the pariah (Don't even get me started on the whole DUI offence is $1000 fine and flying a drone is possibly a $3000 fine). So until the sitting government crafts new drone legislation (targeted for this summer) we're stuck with this real piece of crap order crafted by Transport Canada and the RC modelers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada