Any good app that shows Canadian restrictions?

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by Dukatu, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Dukatu

Dukatu Member

I've noticed that UAV forecast and DJI don't have all restricted Canadian space listed. Anyone know a good app or website that does?

For example, I'm planning on going to Ottawa next year to do some filming, and I know Parliament Hill is restricted airspace, but I have no idea how far that extends and am having trouble finding that information. The apps I checked out don't even show it as a NFZ.

2. Booyaka85

Booyaka85 New Member

The NFZ on Parliament Hill is a radius of 0.35 mile with a surface of 3000 feet Source page 150

As for what app to use i have use Hover you can get it here for Android and here for ios is list Parliament Hill as a NFZ. How accurate is it remains unknown as i only flew my mavic which is my first drone on private property in the middle of nowhere which i have permission to be on

#2 Booyaka85, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Dukatu likes this.
  3. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

Yes, all of the apps and 'DJI NFZ's are not accurate.
    Try SkyDemon and load your regional sectional plates
    It will also show real-time NOTAMS, TAFS and METARS for you intended flying location
    Welcome to SkyDemon, VFR Flight Planning Software and GPS Navigation

4. Dukatu

Dukatu Member

Thanks!

This app is depressing, it almost looks like you're not allowed to fly anywhere in Toronto. Probably best not to be flying downtown anyway, the east end of the city still has nice views.

5. Skydog

Skydog Active Member

I read on SkyDemon's website. They update maps every 4 weeks. So they probably don't have recent updates.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

6. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

NOTAMS, TAFS and METARS are real time (otherwise they would be useless)
    Can you give me another company/organisation that updates their sectionals more regularly than once a month?

7. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ Administrator
    Staff Member

I have included 2 links to web based helpers. Skyvector is a tool for A/C pilots, you will need to learn how to read them properly.
    The second (airmap) you set the parameters on the panel to the right side. FYI - Airmap is the company DJI partnered with for NFZ's.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

AirMap.io

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 3.19.02 PM✨.png

Dukatu and Cookedinlh like this.
  8. Cookedinlh

Cookedinlh Well-Known Member

I'll second AIRMAP . . they seem pretty up to date in Canada. Lots of other selection options so you can get rid of clutter if too many layers make it hard to read. You CAN fly in Toronto area. . .just need the clearances. Best to have a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) but it can be done legally if you call the right people and jump through a few hoops that are not cumbersome really if you are staying below 300ft.

9. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Dukatu

Dukatu Member

Not really - Transport Canada needs to spend more time on their resources, everything on their site relating to drones are so unclear. Like it says you must follow these rules, then each item says "we recommend". They don't make it clear what is required by law and what is just a suggestion. Plus they only talk about airports and National Parks, which are obvious NFZs. There has already been issues between drone pilots and police due to unclear regulation.

I've got 3 different apps I'm using now to triple confirm I'm in an area that should be clear for flying.

11. Dukatu

Dukatu Member

Thanks guys, AirMap seems pretty awesome. I've downloaded their app, and will likely use it as my primary one.

12. Cookedinlh

Hi Dukatu . . Just for some more clarity. Transport Canada currently has few if ANY "rules" . . . they are working toward publishing amendments to the CARS (Canadian Air Regs) by next JULY. Meantime the "recommendations" are based on what they currently expect will be the final published rules. . . and also in the meantime, if you want to fly other than recreationally you need to apply to them and get authorization in the form of a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate).

That's why its so messy right now . . . and they have VERY FEW resources to make this happen so don't be surprised if the CARS are not updated by next summer. More HERE.

13. Dukatu

Dukatu Member

@Cookedinlh I don't plan on flying commercially, but I've been thinking that getting a SFOC might be a good idea anyway - what do you think?

Cookedinlh likes this.
  14. Cookedinlh

Absolutely .. . go for it . . if you have any questions send me contact info at david@inskyphoto.com and I'll do what I can to help . . . nothing hard to do really about it but it's complicated . . .required some patience in the application process.

Dukatu likes this.
  15. fschilder

fschilder Member

I've been using the "Hover" app lately and like it. Not only does it show the NFZs (including Parliament Hill btw), but it also shows the K-index and weather.

16. Johanna

Johanna Well-Known Member

Check out UAV NO FLY ZONE. Another option.