DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any good app that shows Canadian restrictions?

I did find a better one. Not an app, but I put a shortcut to the website on my ipad. Check out: nrc.cnrc.gc.ca
I think this one is about as accurate as I have found, for Canada that is.

Hello, Johanna.

Most excellent find! Corrected link appears to be: UAV Site Selection Tool. From what I can tell, it appears to be the most accurate of any of the sources that I've looked at thus far. There are some items that I might dispute (e.g., the Pontiac Airpark is now permanently closed), but they include data that I didn't find in my own searches. They're probably relying on the official Canada Flight Supplement and Water Aerodrome Supplement from NAV CANADA - which I don't have access to. Like airmap.io, they also list the exclusion zone around heliports at 5nm instead of 3.

That said, from my perspective, this appears to be accurate enough for me to abandon my own efforts at creating a map. I wonder if they would consider releasing the KML data...

More (hopefully?) useful information regarding the NRC's UAV Site Selection tool. First, I e-mailed the comment/feedback address listed on the page, and while they are happy to share the data used to create the tool (including providing their XLS source) - but they also noted that their javascript source is publicly accessible (see: http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/_gcwu/js/civuas/airspacemaps.js). Since they used Google Maps as the foundation product and not Google Earth, however, KML data is not readily available - it would have to be converted.

All-in-all, the interaction was quite friendly, and they seemed genuinely interested in participating in any community efforts to improve/expand upon the project.

EDIT: The NRC folks did mention, and you can see for yourself in the javascript file linked above, that the data they are using is actually sourced from here: Canadian Airspace Viewer. Visiting that page will show that a variety of source data formats are available for download from here: Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange: Airspace for North America.

Last edited:
I like the Can Airspace for the flight path info. I also have Flightradar24 that shows most aircraft currently in the area.

Hi Dukatu . . Just for some more clarity. Transport Canada currently has few if ANY "rules" . . . they are working toward publishing amendments to the CARS (Canadian Air Regs) by next JULY. Meantime the "recommendations" are based on what they currently expect will be the final published rules. . . and also in the meantime, if you want to fly other than recreationally you need to apply to them and get authorization in the form of a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate).

That's why its so messy right now . . . and they have VERY FEW resources to make this happen so don't be surprised if the CARS are not updated by next summer. More HERE.
Thanks for that - I'm writing an SFOC application at present more as an exercise than for applying. Well ...

If you follow their SFOC guideline it is full of redundant questions or aspects ... so my SFOC, now 95% complete needs to be reduced in size 50% to make it 100% complete !!!

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Thanks for that - I'm writing an SFOC application at present more as an exercise than for applying. Well ...

If you follow their SFOC guideline it is full of redundant questions or aspects ... so my SFOC, now 95% Likecomplete needs to be reduced in size 50% to make it 100% complete !!!
I'll agree it's confusing but it's a "government application" . . I had quite a time with it too because it seemed at first that the "checklist" they provided just needs to be filled out and returned . . when in fact they actually want you to produce your own document to address all of the items on the checklist .. . . and then fill in the checklist items with only a reference that points to the paragraph in your doc that answers the question in the checklist. Pretty odd way of collecting the information from you.

I first sent in a checklist (filled out) with the actually information asked for in each checklist item and it was rejected weeks later. Then I had to call them and ask why it was rejected and what they actually wanted me to send them . . if it was not the info I had already sent them. So I transferred the information in the checklist to a new doc and sent that to them the same day, with a checklist of "pointers" showing where in that doc you can find the answer . . .and waited another 4 weeks to get my FIRST flight approved . . .Now THAT's what I call bureaucracy!

So I transferred the information in the checklist to a new doc and sent that to them the same day, with a checklist of "pointers" showing where in that doc you can find the answer . . .and waited another 4 weeks to get my FIRST flight approved . . .Now THAT's what I call bureaucracy!

Thanks for that - I'll keep it in mind for the first submission. I was on my way to condensing it to non-redundancies.

Unfortunately their list is not properly numbered (ie: each paragraph should have a unique number) That would make referencing much easier.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Yes that WAS useful about 12 months ago . . they had all kinds of relevant and useful up to date info for each zone . . but it's been "Under Construction" since about April last year . . hope they are still working on it . . .so it becomes useful again. Major undertaking with all the agencies they need to coordinate with and set up "update" agreements and mechanisms with . . we'' see.

Yes that WAS useful about 12 months ago . . they had all kinds of relevant and useful up to date info for each zone . . but it's been "Under Construction" since about April last year . . hope they are still working on it . . .so it becomes useful again. Major undertaking with all the agencies they need to coordinate with and set up "update" agreements and mechanisms with . . we'' see.

ah I see, thanks. well hopefully it's kept up to date, or removed if obsolete.

Just found this one too.

A little confusing what to select under UAV weight. Do these qualify as recreational drones? I assume so since I'm not flying them for business. Which is good, because the circles are smaller on the map for this class.

1kg and less and 1kg and above are the same. The "circles" get smaller with "model aircraft" selection. Also, you must understand that municipalities have bylaws that restrict drone usage. Soon we will have a map of the few places you can actually fly..

Yes use the model aircraft (recreational drone) for proper limits. The gov't site is still based on the wrong rule set they themselves updated. I find airmaps the easiest to check if I can't fly

Yes use the model aircraft (recreational drone) for proper limits. The gov't site is still based on the wrong rule set they themselves updated. I find airmaps the easiest to check if I can't fly
I use Google Earth Pro on PC to locate Airports and Heliports in the area I want to fly and then use the ruler tool to draw a circle centered on the each whose radius is 5.5 km and 1.8km respectively. You can even export the circles to Your Places and then visualize them in Google Maps. You should be legal to fly outside those circles.

Ya I've done this and checked it against airmaps and they have been accurate so that's good enough for me :)

Ya I've done this and checked it against airmaps and they have been accurate so that's good enough for me :)

Are you talking about Airmap the application?
If so I think their info for Canada does not correspond to the latest interim rules as specified by Transport Canada: Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

In Airmap under SFOC Exempt (1Kg or less), which I believe a Mavic falls under, it says:

... shall only operate a UAV at least (5) nautical miles (=9.6 km) away from the center of any aerodrome
and
... at least (3) nautical miles (5.5km) from any heliport etc.

Are you talking about Airmap the application?
If so I think their info for Canada does not correspond to the latest interim rules as specified by Transport Canada: Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

In Airmap under SFOC Exempt (1Kg or less), which I believe a Mavic falls under, it says:

... shall only operate a UAV at least (5) nautical miles (=9.6 km) away from the center of any aerodrome
and
... at least (3) nautical miles (5.5km) from any heliport etc.

I've used both. I forget how I have it setup but it shows the right numbers for me.

I've used both. I forget how I have it setup but it shows the right numbers for me.
It might be that you are using IOS and not Android like I do.

9.6km should be 5.5 for aerodromes and 5.5km should be 1.8 for heliports according to the Transport Canada website page I referenced. Hopefully the final rules will not go beyond that if they ever finalize them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada