DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any near Mammoth Lakes CA.

Jimmie Hanson

Reactions
I will be flying there this summer. Hiking up high and flying my drone to the lonely places. Just want to stay legal.

I will also be flying near Great Basin and Glacier National parks this summer

Have to watch the winds and downdrafts. Not sure how these will affect my Mavic.

You will be surprised at how much wind it can fly in. It was reported 20 mph last Sat. But I did stay low.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: RAZR
i've flown mine in 30-40 average winds and gusts well beyond that and it held well and the video was good.
it did cut my flight time in half and i had to switch to Sport Mode to make any headway but this thing is solid.
i will warn you about flying on ridges and along drop offs, there are plenty of stories of people losing their drones because the battery dying or the mountain canyons and cliffs interfering with your drone signal.
i will be in Mammoth a few times this summer and i plan on doing some epic videos from there.

Fly over the hot springs east of the green church off 395 4 miles south if MLakes

Tips from a real pilot. Watch out for windy days with downdrafts. Fly low and slow if you are new. Watch out for small airports and helicopters

Fly over Owens Lake or mono Lake. Most lakes are buried in snow now

Thanks and exactly! :D I want to get some shots/vid during this epic snow season and then again when we go up again in the summer. Then maybe a splitscreen editing? Which gets me thinking...how can I replicate the exact the flight path? Can the Mavic remember an exact path and repeat?

Watch out for small airports and helicopters

I've done a fair amount of research and I think the itinerary below is clear of restrictions, but I'm a rookie and don't want to break any rules. Do you foresee any access or restriction issues with it? Thanks in advance.

Owens Lake --> Tinemaha Reservior --> Warren and/or Klondike Lake --> Crowley Lake (map)

There are some small airports along that route. So you have to be careful. These small towns have small airports. I dont exactly remember which ones. But traffic low and infrequent. Believe rule is 5 miles from airport but ...............................there is lots of territory there. Beware of flying in area with down drafts. I flew an airplane along 395 and the downdrafts can be horrible. Steve Fosset died along the Sierras I believe do to downdraft. I have experience it. Unbelieveable. Check winds and weather and special alerts.
I will be there in June.

So I struck out at Owens Lake and Tinemaha Reservoir due to high winds, but I scored at Klondike Lake. The winds were still pretty high and I was amazed how well this littel bad boy maintained stability 100+ ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmie Hanson
Cool thanks for the pics. Neat neat. I am going to be flying in Mammoth area and Great Basin National Park and Glacier National parks area. Not in the parks. So I have a couple million square miles to fly in this summer. I am buying a Marco Polo so I dont lose my drone. Just heard about it yesterday and I am sold.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser