DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any place in Melbourne fl to fly our drones?

Are you still looking for mavic pilots in Melbourne Florida? I am in Lake Washington area, and fly with 3 others from Palm Bay and Viera if you want to hook up with us :)

Reactions: Maat_Mavic
I'm heading to Melbourn Beach Fl. next week and would like to know if anybody has flown there and what restrictions they might have flying on the beach. I looked everywhere on the net and couldn't find any answers. Even called their rec department but didn't get anything.

I live in Melbourne FL and fly all the beaches from Sebastian Inlet in the south to Cape Canaveral in the north. There are No Fly zones around Patrick Air Force base (between Satellite Beach and Cocoa Beach), and a few places are "Class D Warning" areas due to Melbourne Airport and the Merritt Island airport. All the other beaches are just fine, and several of them have very nice and inquisitive people who just want to see your drone and the videos ;o) No adverse experiences yet, and I have over 150 videos from the last year. Be happy to meet up with you, Mavic_Mike, any day except Monday next week is fine with me ;o)
Dave

Mavic Mike,
I fly all the beaches from Sebastian Inlet to Cape Canaveral, and never had any complaints - exactly the opposite, many people have given me their email addy or smartphone contact info so I could share the videos with them. There are a few No Fly Zones around Patrick Air Force base and the Merritt Island airport, but the only concern is light aircraft and helicopters flying below 400' ! Let me know when you want to meet up next week to fly, any day but Monday is fine with me. I fly with 3 other local Mavic pilots in Palm Bay and Viera, two of them also have Sparks and Phantom 4's, so we'll get you hooked up with us ;o)
Dave

Reactions: Mavic_Mike
I live in Melbourne FL and fly all the beaches from Sebastian Inlet in the south to Cape Canaveral in the north. There are No Fly zones around Patrick Air Force base (between Satellite Beach and Cocoa Beach), and a few places are "Class D Warning" areas due to Melbourne Airport and the Merritt Island airport. All the other beaches are just fine, and several of them have very nice and inquisitive people who just want to see your drone and the videos ;o) No adverse experiences yet, and I have over 150 videos from the last year. Be happy to meet up with you, Mavic_Mike, any day except Monday next week is fine with me ;o)
Dave
Hi Dave,
Not sure when I'll be at Melbourne. Flying into Orlando Tue. and maybe staying a day or two there before heading to Melbourne. Would like to hook up and try to get a few good shots of the beach. Got the Mavic for XMas and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Usually fly my Typhoon H and can't wait to fly the Mavic. Between the weather and other commitments I haven't had time to fly anything.

Hi Dave,
Not sure when I'll be at Melbourne. Flying into Orlando Tue. and maybe staying a day or two there before heading to Melbourne. Would like to hook up and try to get a few good shots of the beach. Got the Mavic for XMas and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Usually fly my Typhoon H and can't wait to fly the Mavic. Between the weather and other commitments I haven't had time to fly anything.
That's fine! You can give me a call or text at 321-505-5811 whenever you're ready to head over this way [emoji6] it's going to be pretty cold later in the week, but that just means we'll get some good manatees footage on the way to the beach for freezing surfers[emoji3]

Has anyone ever called the Melbourne airport about flying within 5 miles of it? I live within 2 miles and my drone won't even launch so I'm always going out to the St John's River, or down south of Melbourne's beaches. Would love to do some aerial photography in town though.

I was over at Melbourne the whole month of October. Bought MP in September. Flew the beach every morning for sunrise it was great Even got video of hatching turtles. Enjoy

The beaches are on the outer edge of the 5 mile zone and I've flown there too. I'm interested in flying much closer to the airport but not near the arriving and departing flightpaths. Just curious if anyone has ever called them and what the response was. My understanding is that you only have to notify them, not get permission to fly. I would like to stay on the right side of the law given that I'd be flying in an area where any number of people might call the police to report my flight.

I was at Melbourne Beach about 2 1/2 weeks ago but didn't get to fly because the winds were gusting to 50 mph also 30 deg F. I did call Melbourne control tower and they gave me an email address to let them know when I was going to fly along with coordinates, time of flight, how long. They were very friendly and helpful.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Do you mind sharing that email address?

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Do you mind sharing that email address?
Sorry I don't have it anymore. The control tower gave it to me and it was like a mile long. The weather wasn't good enough to fly so I didn't bother emailing them.

I just talked to the tower. He didn't seem to know anything about the email address but just wanted to know when, where and how high and asked me to call when I was done. And reminded me that its my responsibility to avoid interfering with other air traffic. Easy enough.

I just talked to the tower. He didn't seem to know anything about the email address but just wanted to know when, where and how high and asked me to call when I was done. And reminded me that its my responsibility to avoid interfering with other air traffic. Easy enough.

Who ever I talked to said use the email, but calling seems a lot easier with an instant answer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242